Wish Block chains

Been wished for before. Don't remember the "label" that was given... Good idea on concept but I don't think very practical in application as I think you'd be restricted to a specific grid "layout".

+1 this would be really cool... Even if it was just an Axe-Edit only feature.

Possible implementation in Axe-Edit:

1. Select a "Save Block Group"

2. In the Layout Grid Interface, you select either the individual blocks one by one, or click once in upper left, once in lower right of area you which to save (to save a 2x3 area for instance). The Block Group gets saved with a name you choose in file dialog, and the layout size in the name. IE: Block_Group_Name_(2x3).syx

3. Bring up a different preset or empty one and select a "Load Block Group" option... file dialog opens and you select a block group (with the indication of its layout size / bounding box)

4. Click where you want to insert the Block Group in the layout grid.

It would allow saving common block groupings you use often (for instance favorite Amp+Cab combos, dual Amp combos, or other groupings that you want quick access to when building new patches) Also, it would allow for saving more complex Effects Pedal Emulations that require more than one block.... which would also let the Fractal Community create a better repository of shared effects modeled after classic pedals and rack units, or specific artist effects chains.

Last edited:
What I do to get around this on the Axe-fx II, and it may work for you, is to make some template presets with the effects chains.

Then I copy the template into a new preset slot, change IR files, amps, etc as needed to fit what I am doing.

Perhaps this can work for you too as a stop gap.

What I do to get around this on the Axe-fx II, and it may work for you, is to make some template presets with the effects chains.

Then I copy the template into a new preset slot, change IR files, amps, etc as needed to fit what I am doing.

Perhaps this can work for you too as a stop gap.
Yes
Thats what I do now
But it is a bit time-consuming to change out amps n cabs
Even the ability to save mini-templates that are paste-able in a preset would save time

Yes
Thats what I do now
But it is a bit time-consuming to change out amps n cabs
Even the ability to save mini-templates that are paste-able in a preset would save time
I guess I'm not understanding your use case.

What would stay static as part of the block chain and what would you be changing for each new preset created with a block chain?

If you can give more details, this may help Fractal understand how the request will fill a need.

yes
Example
Amp block with 4 channels of amp choices specific to a certain guitar
plus cab block with 4 channels of speaker choices
being able to pull that into a preset would really save time setting up a preset

I can certainly see the benefit and think it would be great, however, I think it would be really hard to implement, because let’s say you have a reverb and phaser block chain, which gives a cool phased set signal...

Well what happens if you already have a phaser block in your patch ? Or your block chain uses channel B and you have another foot switch set up to change channels, and it changes what you don’t want as you forgot what it was assigned to etc

Or what if it needs to be a parallel effect, but you already have soemthing in that grid location so it can’t drop it in.....

As I said, good idea but simply may not be practical with the way the Axe blocks and grid have been designed to work

I can certainly see the benefit and think it would be great, however, I think it would be really hard to implement, because let’s say you have a reverb and phaser block chain, which gives a cool phased set signal...

Well what happens if you already have a phaser block in your patch ? Or your block chain uses channel B and you have another foot switch set up to change channels, and it changes what you don’t want as you forgot what it was assigned to etc

Or what if it needs to be a parallel effect, but you already have soemthing in that grid location so it can’t drop it in.....

As I said, good idea but simply may not be practical with the way the Axe blocks and grid have been designed to work

There would inevitably be some limitations/rules. And yes, it most likely would require a good amount of logic/coding to implement... but it's Fractal! - they never shy away from a programming challenge, if it's a useful improvement for their customers.

If there was already a Phaser 1 block, there would need to be logic to switch it to Phaser 2 (next available). If one of the blocks didn't have an available block (rare), then it would have to display some sort of error message (block limit exceeded for type Phaser, cannot insert block group)

The "hard bounding box" type of logic would be probably the easiest to implement in terms of inserting multiple blocks at once taking up multiple horizontal or vertical spaces. If the block group was saved with a (3x3) indicator, then when its imported into a preset, it would overwrite existing blocks in that bounding box area (3x3). You would know based on the (3x3) saved in the file name that the area you select will be overwritten by the new block grouping.

To me, having the ability to save personal favorites of Amp/Cab combos or other personal favorite block combos would be a time saver - but the biggest change that I foresee would be that the community could more easily share block combos to replicate old effects rack units, unique/complex effects pedals, or other special effects (like synth sounds, organs, other).

There are many classic effects sounds that require two or more blocks. Also, block groups would be great for saving "Artist Effects Chains"... many artists have a certain effects signature that could be replicated with multiple blocks. It could be a boon to the community, and we could resurrect the "Mother of All Pedal Emulations" in style ;) I miss that thread.

Creating templates achieves this, doesn't it? Save a preset with your preferred effects setup as a template. Maybe leave broken paths or shunts for where the amp and cab blocks go or keep a default amp/cab for a place holder. Then load, edit to taste, and rename. I assume all controls established will be save as well.

Creating templates achieves this, doesn't it? Save a preset with your preferred effects setup as a template. Maybe leave broken paths or shunts for where the amp and cab blocks go or keep a default amp/cab for a place holder. Then load, edit to taste, and rename. I assume all controls established will be save as well.
People may have many "block sets". A template doesn't really solve that

Back
Top Bottom