MeloAudio Midi Commander

eHx

Does anyone have the MeloAudio Midi Commander with the AxeFX 2? I can see they support the Axe2 out of the box but does it allow scene changes by default or does it have to be programmed?

I have midi commander with Axe Fx 3
In axe Fx mode. It can change preset and change bank without any additional setting.

For the life of me. I can't get it to work with scene change and tuner on off.

Their product manual is pretty poor...

The "Axe Fx mode" seems to be nothing more than setting 4 buttons (as a bank) to control presets (PCs) and 4 buttons to act as IA switches (CCs).

To use scenes, you need to be able to define the data value of the CC being sent, not just the CC value.

You might need to use the CUS mode to make it work.

But I've read thru that section twice and it's really not clear how to program, and I'm very comfortable with doing that on a number of other devices.

If I had one in front of me, I could probably make it work... But not by just reading that manual.

Good luck!

Their product manual is pretty poor...

The "Axe Fx mode" seems to be nothing more than setting 4 buttons (as a bank) to control presets (PCs) and 4 buttons to act as IA switches (CCs).

To use scenes, you need to be able to define the data value of the CC being sent, not just the CC value.

You might need to use the CUS mode to make it work.

But I've read thru that section twice and it's really not clear how to program, and I'm very comfortable with doing that on a number of other devices.

If I had one in front of me, I could probably make it work... But not by just reading that manual.

Good luck!
Thank you unix-guy! I will try it in CUS mode.
Yes the meloaudio manual is very basic..

Thank you unix-guy! I will try it in CUS mode.
Yes the meloaudio manual is very basic..
No problem. You'll need to configure the CC number for scenes in the Axe Fx III... There's no default (many use 34 since that's what the Axe Fx II used).

You'll need to configure the controller to send that CC with the related CC number and data value (0-7).

One other small challenge is that scene buttons should really be part of a mutually exclusive group. That way, only one scene LED will be lit at a time. Not sure this controller can do that.

No problem. You'll need to configure the CC number for scenes in the Axe Fx III... There's no default (many use 34 since that's what the Axe Fx II used).

You'll need to configure the controller to send that CC with the related CC number and data value (0-7).

One other small challenge is that scene buttons should really be part of a mutually exclusive group. That way, only one scene LED will be lit at a time. Not sure this controller can do that.

Thank you again unix-guy! I am sorry if this question is too stupid.
How does one config what CC#for each scene? I can't find the settings in both Axe-Edit III and on Axe FX III itself.

Thank you again unix-guy! I am sorry if this question is too stupid.
How does one config what CC#for each scene? I can't find the settings in both Axe-Edit III and on Axe FX III itself.
There is only 1 CC number.

It's in the Midi/Remote menu... Don't remember which page.

It is the combination of CC and the data value that selects the scene.

Using my example of CC#34 from earlier, you would use:

Scene 1: CC 34 value 0
Scene 2: CC 34 value 1
Scene 3: CC 34 value 2
Scene 4: CC 34 value 3
etc...

There is only 1 CC number.

It's in the Midi/Remote menu... Don't remember which page.

It is the combination of CC and the data value that selects the scene.

Using my example of CC#34 from earlier, you would use:

Scene 1: CC 34 value 0
Scene 2: CC 34 value 1
Scene 3: CC 34 value 2
Scene 4: CC 34 value 3
etc...

Thanks I will try that!

I finally bought the MeloAudio Midi Controller, and it's a great piece of gear for the price.

I use Custom1, with the bottom row for switching between presets. 2 switches on the top left are Scene - and Scene + (cycling between scenes) and the 2 others are Looper Record and Looper Stop.

As mentioned, the manual doesn't really explain much, you have to thinker a bit.

Hey there! Resurrecting this thread. Meloaudio just had a sale on these pedals and I couldn't pass it up. Just unboxed it.
Seems nicely made.

Can anyone explain in a little more detail how to set up the top row to do anything useful, like scenes or FX on-off? @darkinners or @unix-guy
I read the above posts, but a smidge more detail would be awesome.

Thank you!

Hey there! Resurrecting this thread. Meloaudio just had a sale on these pedals and I couldn't pass it up. Just unboxed it.
Seems nicely made.

Can anyone explain in a little more detail how to set up the top row to do anything useful, like scenes or FX on-off? @darkinners or @unix-guy
I read the above posts, but a smidge more detail would be awesome.

Thank you!
I don't have one, so I can't really say...

Cool.

There is no setup on the foot pedal really, the question is more where to do setup inside the III. I'm poking around now looking...
I see the midi / setup section on the device. In Axe-Edit, setup looks vey optimized for the new FC6-12 btw which is cool for the lucky folks that have one.

Cool.

There is no setup on the foot pedal really, the question is more where to do setup inside the III. I'm poking around now looking...
I see the midi / setup section on the device. In Axe-Edit, setup looks vey optimized for the new FC6-12 btw which is cool for the lucky folks that have one.
After reading what I wrote above, I thought I would just quote part ;)

RESPONSE....
[1] There is a forum on the MeloAudio.com site. The tech's there have been saying "next month" we are going to release an update for the Melo Audio Midi Commander so that you scan change scenes. But this still has not happened.

QUESTIONS....
[2] To all of you guys or gals that own a Midi Commander, do any of you know how to get the midi offset to show up on the Midi Commander? I use the midi offset in the Axe FX 2. I do not like counting my presets with the numbers starting at 0. I always start with 1. In the Axe Fx you can easily change this by: clicking I/O, then choose the MIDI tab, then scroll down to display offset and change the value from 0 to 1. But this change is not reflected in the Midi Commander. How can I get the Midi commander to start counting patches at 1, not 0? For example, the very first patch in my Axe FX is titled JVM dist and it shows preset # 001 on the Axe Fx. But on the midi commander the screen shows 0.

[3] If I power on the midi commander with button 4, that puts me in the Axe FX mode. This has 4 presets in a group. Buttons A to D send PC messages to switch presets. I want a simple layout, where the buttons 1 to 4 are used to also send PC message and they also send switching instructions for preset changes. Basically I want Button A to D and 1 to 4 all be dedicated to presets. This way I will have 8 presets per bank. Any idea on how to do this? The manual with the Midi Commander is not good. That part is lacking for sure.

RESPONSE....
[1] There is a forum on the MeloAudio.com site. The tech's there have been saying "next month" we are going to release an update for the Melo Audio Midi Commander so that you scan change scenes. But this still has not happened.

QUESTIONS....
[2] To all of you guys or gals that own a Midi Commander, do any of you know how to get the midi offset to show up on the Midi Commander? I use the midi offset in the Axe FX 2. I do not like counting my presets with the numbers starting at 0. I always start with 1. In the Axe Fx you can easily change this by: clicking I/O, then choose the MIDI tab, then scroll down to display offset and change the value from 0 to 1. But this change is not reflected in the Midi Commander. How can I get the Midi commander to start counting patches at 1, not 0? For example, the very first patch in my Axe FX is titled JVM dist and it shows preset # 001 on the Axe Fx. But on the midi commander the screen shows 0.

[3] If I power on the midi commander with button 4, that puts me in the Axe FX mode. This has 4 presets in a group. Buttons A to D send PC messages to switch presets. I want a simple layout, where the buttons 1 to 4 are used to also send PC message and they also send switching instructions for preset changes. Basically I want Button A to D and 1 to 4 all be dedicated to presets. This way I will have 8 presets per bank. Any idea on how to do this? The manual with the Midi Commander is not good. That part is lacking for sure.
To answer #3, you just need to change the mode. All you want is to send only PCs, so no need to use Axe Fx mode.

From the manual:
C43FB224-693E-45CB-A7DF-02341336C7A2.jpeg

Optionally you could use one of the custom modes, but probably not needed.

To answer #3, you just need to change the mode. All you want is to send only PCs, so no need to use Axe Fx mode.

From the manual:
View attachment 55916

Optionally you could use one of the custom modes, but probably not needed.
Unix-Guy, Thanks for the response. I tried HOST mode PC-8x within the first hour of getting the unit. That works exactly how I need, but I am a picky SOB. LOL. The numbers do not match up. That mode uses an A1, A2, B1, B2 counting system for the midi commander and the Axe Fx uses 1, 2, 3, 4. So that does work but I can't keep the patch/present #'s straight. I assume I will have to get familiar with the custom program mode, but so far this has been giving me difficulty. Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate your input.

Apparently there are different versions of the midi commander manual. The printed version that I have has really bad english. Some parts are really hard to understand. The PDF manual is different than my printed copy. Working with my printed copy was not straightforward.

There is a solution for Q#2 (the midi offset issue). I have found that you set the Axe FX at 1 midi offset and set the midi commander to custom mode and set the SCR Start = 1 and PC Start = 0. Then the midi commander Button A will start at 1. You will have presets/patches starting at 1 (not 0) in the Axe Fx.

I did finally solve Q#3. Booting to custom mode and changing a few things worked. Custom mode can be set to program all 8 buttons for patch/preset changes after you change all of the "KEY X MOD" parameters (where X = 1, 2, 3, 4, A, B, C, D) from CC to PC.

It's almost a really good solution for the Axe, but until they update the CC messaging capability you can't select a specific scene. Closest it can do is scene toggle.

EDIT - however PC mapping should work. Will have to try!

Last edited:
It is a cool little controller, i did contact the company regarding the CC command in a update. I just got the usual 'i'll ask our engineer', still nothing back after that!

Back
Top Bottom