for my bass bretheren... "matches... we don't need no stinking matches" - well, yes we do.

mistermikev

Experienced
In an attempt to rescue some fav patches from <device-we-can't-name> I did some tone matching. Pretty happy with them and given the comparative rarity of bass patches I thought others might appreciate a share.

I'm finding that I'm getting a better match with no amp in the signal path when doing the local reference. No comp in either. Then later going back and adding some scenes with comp/amps/cabs/fx after the fact to spruce things up and maintain levels.

first up... the allusive aggi - I did the tone match with my jazz bass with both pickups (in this case seymour qtr pounders) in parallel, but played it later with some dimarzios + bartollini pre and sounds good to me either way. I've noted the original cab in the name for reference.
1567980470149.png

second... my second fav... the 360. Noted the cab/mic for reference.
1567980705282.png

Plan to do more (whether you want them or not) maybe even post a demo... but right now I got a bum finger so... you'll just have to try them for yourself.

Cheers

Attachments

• 254_AguilarDB750-Ampeg4x10.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 255_Acoustic360-1x18w112mic.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 73
In an attempt to rescue some fav patches from <device-we-can't-name> I did some tone matching. Pretty happy with them and given the comparative rarity of bass patches I thought others might appreciate a share.

I'm finding that I'm getting a better match with no amp in the signal path when doing the local reference. No comp in either. Then later going back and adding some scenes with comp/amps/cabs/fx after the fact to spruce things up and maintain levels.

first up... the allusive aggi - I did the tone match with my jazz bass with both pickups (in this case seymour qtr pounders) in parallel, but played it later with some dimarzios + bartollini pre and sounds good to me either way. I've noted the original cab in the name for reference.
View attachment 58130

View attachment 58131

Plan to do more (whether you want them or not) maybe even post a demo... but right now I got a bum finger so... you'll just have to try them for yourself.

Cheers
Will check these out!

I just tried the patches a little bit and the first scene of the Acoustic patch sounds great with my fretless, nearly like an upright. Thank you, I am always looking for good bass presets.

Going to check these out today. I’ve been playing a LOT more bass recently and started working on some slap and pop stuff over the weekend. My ‘pop’ finger (index on right hand) feels like my fret hand fingertips did when I first started playing!

View attachment 58130

Cheers

Keep em coming! 🤟

I just tried the patches a little bit and the first scene of the Acoustic patch sounds great with my fretless, nearly like an upright. Thank you, I am always looking for good bass presets.
thank you for saying so. I will have to get a fretless again and try it!

Going to check these out today. I’ve been playing a LOT more bass recently and started working on some slap and pop stuff over the weekend. My ‘pop’ finger (index on right hand) feels like my fret hand fingertips did when I first started playing!
bass strings will tear up your fingers like nothing else. For the most part these days I use tapewound because it allows me to be a bit more aggressive w/o beating my fingers up... but I also love the dark. Hope you like the patches.

Keep em coming! 🤟
well, I will try to rise to that occasion eventually... right now I'm spending all my time finishing some tele projects... but I anticipate some bass focus in the near future and plan to revisit some of these patches and a few others... sort of consolidate and update. do check back from time to time and thank you for the reply.

I tried the Acoustic patch now also with my fretted Ibanez and the first scene is still my favorite. I'm surprised what is possible with the tube pre amp, I hadn't used that until now.

I spent now also some time with the Aguilar patch and must say, that this is really good stuff. You created very different sounds and I will for sure dive in and adjust the scenes to my different needs (fetless and fretted). But this is a very good starting point, so thank you very much for that work.

I spent now also some time with the Aguilar patch and must say, that this is really good stuff. You created very different sounds and I will for sure dive in and adjust the scenes to my different needs (fetless and fretted). But this is a very good starting point, so thank you very much for that work.
thank you sir. I was thinking I will await the next official update and go thru these and some others and perhaps start a new thread with all my bass patches. perhaps even a demo.

I understand there is a new compressor pedal in the new set that should be pretty cool. also I have some patches where I take other amps and try to make bass sounds... for inst the marshal major out of a marshal plexi. I have a cab that is the heavier vintage 30 speakers that were used w the major originally and it's a pretty cool vintage vibe. also did a "67 hiwatt200DR. also have a number of patches that I experimented with biamp and triamp things. Need to do some consolidation and go thru them to ensure they sound ok w the latest updates but will do soon.

so... I appreciate the kind responses to this thread, so figured the least I could do was upload a few of my presets updated to 12.06 firmware. Just did a quick demo recording of a few patches here, not a great mix, not great timing... and way too much compression. Had intended to go back and re-record it but figured y'all might appreciate the patches sooner rather than later so... please ignore my unpolished-ness!

the presets are all tone matches. some of them may employ a aftermarked ir but in most cases I initially build the preset with a stock ir so that will be sitting there muted fyi.

have a number more that I still haven't gone thru since the upgrade to 12.06 so will get to those at some point.

I hope these bring you some joy!
cheers

Attachments

• MV_Acoustic360-1x18w112mic_TMA.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 37
  • MV_AguilarDB750-Ampeg4x10_TMA.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 37
  • MV_GKSR800SV810_TMA.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 34
  • MV_GK800RB-410SilverCone-XT_TMA.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 35
  • MV_EdenTravelr-410Eden112Mc_TMA.syx
  • MV_PearceBC-1BassPreampCh.2_TMA.syx
  • MV_PolytoneMiniBrute_TMA.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 34
  • MV_SubDub_TMA.syx
  • MV_SunnColiseum300_TMA.syx
  • MV_SWR-SM-500_410-112Mic_TMA.syx
I had just a quick run through the patches and both the Acoustic and the Aguilar sound much better than before. For all the other patches I need more time (24 hours are by far too short for a day). Thank you for all that work.

I had just a quick run through the patches and both the Acoustic and the Aguilar sound much better than before. For all the other patches I need more time (24 hours are by far too short for a day). Thank you for all that work.
I very much appreciate you saying so! I hope you enjoy the rest.

I wanted to go through your patches more thoroughly, but I was very, very busy in the last weeks. Today I finally had the time and the spirit for this. I checked them with my Ibanez Soundgear (fretted) and my fretless Phoenix (hollow body).
First of all I was very surprised how much the sound of the same bass changed in the different patches. I used only the tone matches and bypassed the amps and cabs and all effects.
The Acoustic sounds great with both basses. (I read years ago, that John Wetton used it in the time with King Crimson and I love his sound on these records.)
The low end of the Aguilar is in general too much for me, though for playing on the high strings it is good.
The Polytone has a such cultivated fine sound, which is already nice with the Ibanez, but just wonderful with the Phoenix. Probably for this it is for years a standard amp for Jazz bassists.
The 2 GK are okay, but not very remarkable. The GK 800 RB adds a little bit of color to the tone, but is still very neutral. The same is true for the Sunn and at least for the Ibanez also the Pearce. The latter has with the fretless a heavy low end and works like the Aguilar only on the high strings.
The Subdub works well with both basses, but the biggest surprise was for me the Eden. It forms on both basses a very special tone, which I found very inspiring, though I wouldn't use it everyday.
Again, thank you very much for this variety of patches.

I am just beginning to understand the concept of tone matches, but I would like to learn more about it. Did you make the tone matches by yourself and if so, how did you do it?

I wanted to go through your patches more thoroughly, but I was very, very busy in the last weeks. Today I finally had the time and the spirit for this. I checked them with my Ibanez Soundgear (fretted) and my fretless Phoenix (hollow body).
First of all I was very surprised how much the sound of the same bass changed in the different patches. I used only the tone matches and bypassed the amps and cabs and all effects.
The Acoustic sounds great with both basses. (I read years ago, that John Wetton used it in the time with King Crimson and I love his sound on these records.)
The low end of the Aguilar is in general too much for me, though for playing on the high strings it is good.
The Polytone has a such cultivated fine sound, which is already nice with the Ibanez, but just wonderful with the Phoenix. Probably for this it is for years a standard amp for Jazz bassists.
The 2 GK are okay, but not very remarkable. The GK 800 RB adds a little bit of color to the tone, but is still very neutral. The same is true for the Sunn and at least for the Ibanez also the Pearce. The latter has with the fretless a heavy low end and works like the Aguilar only on the high strings.
The Subdub works well with both basses, but the biggest surprise was for me the Eden. It forms on both basses a very special tone, which I found very inspiring, though I wouldn't use it everyday.
Again, thank you very much for this variety of patches.

I am just beginning to understand the concept of tone matches, but I would like to learn more about it. Did you make the tone matches by yourself and if so, how did you do it?
well thank you for the thorough review. I do appreciate it. I think the over-emphasis on the bass just boils down to the bass you are using because when I play those patches with my sr890+bartolini... yeah, way too much, but if I play them with my jazz (a very bright bass) they work well. Personally find it next to impossible to find patches that are optimized, yet work with more than one bass. at least that's my take. My opinion of them def aligns with yours except on subdub... for me - that patch is amazing. it's over the top and has way too much bass... but that's what it's supposed to do! great for reggae vamp!
afa how to make matches... no expert here and it is a bit of trial and error. as I recall, I built a patch that had nothing on it and the proper ins/outs for going in to axefx with my bass, then out thru (4 I think) to either external gear or vst via my focusrite and back in. Then I just tried to play the entire fretboard during the capture and also range from loud to soft. I found that with certain devices I had to fudge things by backing off the level and messing with the capture knobs... but that is really something you'll just have to experiment with! cheers and thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom