Axe-Fx lll & Apollo Twin hookup

TommyRock70

Kind of new to this stuff. I have an Apollo Twin and an Axe-FX lll and I wanted to know the best way to connect these two while using the Apollo as my main interface and using Axe to record my guitar. Anyone? Thx

Simply plug the line outs from the Axe (Output 1) into the two inputs of the Twin. Set Output 1 control to full (unity gain). Set the volume for monitoring to your liking on the mixer desk in the Console application. In your DAW, select the Twin as your interface and use its analog inputs 1-2 as input sources to record the processed signal of the Axe Fx.

That's all. :)

Simply plug the line outs from the Axe (Output 1) into the two inputs of the Twin. Set Output 1 control to full (unity gain).

Are you sure Output 1 is unity gain when fully turned clockwise? The manual says that for Ouput 3 and 4 only:

Output Level Knobs 1–4 — These knobs independently control the volumes at the corresponding rear panel outputs. The Output 1 knob simultaneously controls Output 1 XLR and quarter-inch jacks, and the headphone output level. Outputs 3 and 4 are at unity gain when set fully clockwise.

Reactions: trb
Are you sure Output 1 is unity gain when fully turned clockwise? The manual says that for Ouput 3 and 4 only:

Output Level Knobs 1–4 — These knobs independently control the volumes at the corresponding rear panel outputs. The Output 1 knob simultaneously controls Output 1 XLR and quarter-inch jacks, and the headphone output level. Outputs 3 and 4 are at unity gain when set fully clockwise.

I might have gotten that wrong. He should maybe better start with the Output 1 control far down and turn it up slowly and check the level in Apollo's Console mixer. Thanks for the correction.

yep, Axe out 1 - Apollo mic pre's sounds great.

I got a SPDIF -> Optical converter to run mine which makes all the cabling cleaner and easier to record in stereo, but also frees up the mic pre's in the Apollo should I want to utilise them

Before I had the III and Apollo, I used my Axe Fx II with a Steinberg UR28M which has SPDIF in and out. It was perfect for recording the processed sound through the analog line ins, the unprocessed DI signal through the SPDIF, and you could easily reamp through the SPDIF i/o loop without any quality loss through multiple conversions.

Before I had the III and Apollo, I used my Axe Fx II with a Steinberg UR28M which has SPDIF in and out. It was perfect for recording the processed sound through the analog line ins, the unprocessed DI signal through the SPDIF, and you could easily reamp through the SPDIF i/o loop without any quality loss through multiple conversions.
Yeah, unfortunately the Twin (and Arrow) are the only Apollo units without in/out SPDIF......

i have a twin and the preamps are great, as leon said

i would say, use xlr to trs, so the apollo doesn't think you're connecting microphones to it, but you're still using balanced connections. set the out 1 level on the axe to full and make sure it's set to -10dbv in the global audio menu

you can use spdif from the axe, but you need a little box to convert the phono out from the axe to the toslink input on the apollo.

Attachments

• MCPTRSXLRF05-large.jpg
    MCPTRSXLRF05-large.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 37
I just decided to try and make an aggregate device the other day with my Apollo 8. I initially avoided it before. It seemed complicated with so many I/o channels. And, I read about problems syncing, but absolutely no problems so far. Works great.

Yeah, unfortunately the Twin (and Arrow) are the only Apollo units without in/out SPDIF......
Beg to differ on that, but I have a UA Apollo Twin and its OPTICAL input does support S/PDIF. Just needs to be configured in the Console app. I ended up using mine for an ADAT interface.

I just got an Apollo 8x upgrade from a Twin. I ran all my modelers in stereo into a Mackie Mixer then to Apollo, then Monitor switching. The Apollo has 8 inputs. Do you recommend running everything Mono (I'll check out S/PDIF which I use with Ox) or using a dual Mono into single Mono converter cable from the modelers outputs (or that is just giving me a Mono signal signal, so why bother?

I tend to combine L+R anyway. Also Trying to remove the Mackie from the signal chain.

about turning Output 1 to fully clockwise, that depends on your gain staging. Austin Buddy's presets should be run that way, but many other presets on the Axechange, have volumes all over the place.

Leon:you said:

I got a SPDIF -> Optical converter to run mine which makes all the cabling cleaner and easier to record in stereo, but also frees up the mic pre's in the Apollo should I want to utilise them

Which model n make do you use ,if I may ask?

Leon:you said:

Which model n make do you use ,if I may ask?
Go to Amazon and search spdif to optical...
There are allot of chooses. ( basically all the same)

Brad - I also have an Apollo and it does have an optical in (only). You can set it to use either SPDIF or ADAT formatted content. I happen to use it presently to make the Apollo is clocking the same as my other audio interfaces.

I prefer the analog XLR's out of the Axe into the XLR in's on the Apollo. Get the API channel strip and you'll have the best guitar tone you've every recorded.
I bought a bunch of their plugins over the past 6 years, maybe now I’ll actually use some of them! I’m also looking at their Luna DAW.

Back
Top Bottom