Dream Marshall Rig

I started doing one of these but got sidetracked. It would likely be a JTM45 for cleans, 800 or Plexi for crunch (still digging through them to find my favorite), and one of the Friedmans for high gain (is that cheating?).

I'll check out that Burg patch, I dig his video tones.

I'd like to tie up a couple of my loose end patches and start loading to Axe Exchange, so if I ever finish I'll put it up there.

Those darn ol pedestrian JTM45’s....

Neighbor had one sitting out by the curb on trash day, looked in great shape, but I was like “nope..... not going to bother to bring that amp into the house..... I mean who’s ever gotten a great tone with a JTM45, right?”

Dime a dozen, crap Marshall if you ask me..... maybe something to give you 12 year old nephew if he’s just starting out on guitar, but certainly not an amp anyone would actually want to own.

:fearscream: I'm so confused, sarcasm or stupidity, sarcasm or stupidity. Brain cramp!!.......................................... 😊 Just kidding!

Oh man I tried the JS410 Orange Crunch for the first time and I'm REALLY liking this. I've been struggling with the Friedmans in the Fractal as some are too scooped and some are too bassy etc. This amp is kind of chunky but still has a good amount of midrange. Really fun to play.

Oh man I tried the JS410 Orange Crunch for the first time and I'm REALLY liking this. I've been struggling with the Friedmans in the Fractal as some are too scooped and some are too bassy etc. This amp is kind of chunky but still has a good amount of midrange. Really fun to play.

The Satriani JS marshall is great

Stand on the shoulders of Giants - use Burgs and Leon as starting points - pretty darn good ones, then tweak away.. that's what all those parameters that I have e no idea what they actual, are for. Read Yek's wiki or RTFM.

I'm always looking searching for a Plexi 1987 50 watt that have teeth gnashing crunch, no fuzzy preamp distortion but Poweramp full bore push.

By pedestrian [U]lqdsnddist[/U]..... I am simply pointing out, that by stating The Jtm45 has a great clean sound is pedestrian. NOT the fact that the amp is in anyway.

Most of us already know that a Jtm45 has a decent enough clean sound and probably one of the best that Marshall may have to offer,
but considering the scope and flexibility of the Axe Fx 3 I was simply wondering, if anyone has had any better results using another Marshall amp sims such as the JVM for example and maybe gotten a what they consider an even better clean sound than a JTM45?

I think you have misconstrued what I have said, and also the point of this thread.

I am not looking for advice or setup tips.

I am looking for guys that have experimented more than the average Joe, and have come up with some excellent results using less than obvious amp choices to achieve clean tones etc.

I don't need to listen to Burgs presets to know that a Jtm45 sounds great...... We already know this right???

Start thinking or experimenting... im sure some of you have the answers.
:)

I think you have misconstrued what I have said, and also the point of this thread.
I think many of us have misconstrued the point of this thread, at least partly because the stated point keeps changing.

In the OP, the point of this thread was to “Build a dream Marshall Rig from The Axe fx 3 Marshall Models.” You gave a JTM45 as a possible example of a great clean. When someone posted an answer that included a JTM45 clean with an arguably great tone, you said that wasn’t what you were looking for because it was just one guy’s opinion of a great tone. But that’s all that anyone can give you.

In a later post, you gave us some conflicting bits of information. You said that you favored the JTM45 for cleans, but you’re “not exactly a huge fan of the jtm45.“ That’s where we learned that you didn’t want “pedestrian” amp choices, but instead wanted Marshall models that were different from known-good choices. Later still, You expanded your criteria beyond the Marshall models.

So where are we now? We know that you want examples of one person’s (your) idea of great Marshall tone that don’t involved widely-known choices for great Marshall tone. Is that correct?

Last edited:
"Start thinking or experimenting... i'm sure some of you have the answers.
:) "

Maybe you should take your own advice, that's why this is an editor.

I've played with the JTM45 when I can for the last few days and I don't end up liking it as much as say the Vox AC30 (non-TB). I think the JTM45 is a good clean but there's something in the highs and lows that bugs me. Obviously there's a lot of low end so you have to almost kill it all, but there's a sharpness in the high end too. The Jump version is a little easier out of the gate but has more gain and the dual input structure can be trickier to dial in.

Ok Ok,

Let me try to explain the point of this thread one last time....

I named this thread "Dream Marshall Rig" as I wanted to know if someone had built their Dream Marshall Rig. BUT and and its quite a big But...However..... (and I did outline this in my very first post) I am looking for guys who have maybe bent the rules a little....

Guys that have maybe used (for example) a Marshall Jcm800 and somehow by using the vast array of sound sculpture available on the Axe 3, managed to dial in a killer Marshall Clean tone?

I don't know if this has been done. Its just an example.... inherently, the Jcm800 is not necessarily revered for its Killer clean tone is it? Another example would be a arriving at a Huge Slaying Metal Tone using the JTM45 but dialling it in differently with eq and then adding some pedals for example.

These are the kind of ideas I'm looking for. Not clips or presets per-say..... just ideas or concepts that people are using. Y'know, Off the wall stuff that people are getting results with using Sims of Marshall heads but that are getting good results in a different way?

I cannot provide any examples myself other than what I have suggested above because I haven't done it yet but I will be experimenting with this idea.

Why should you use the Simulation as its intended just because of the name associated with it. Think outside the box here. It's what the virtual world allows you to do!

Just 'cause it has Marshall SLP Plexi on the box doesn't mean you can't change every aspect of the amp into something completely different right?

The Axe fx has the capability to do this.

Please Please, do not treat this thread as a call for help or technical support.

I am perfectly capable of setting up my own killer Marshall Tones. In fact so much so, in comparison to some of the clips I've heard on this site and others, I have some of what I consider the best tones on my AXE 3 from the usual Marshall suspects. I.e the Plexi, Jtm45 etc etc Blah Blah.......

In fact I'm so bored with these tones, that i am now looking for something different and that's what this thread is trying to encourage.

But Hey, if none of you guys out there have reached this stage that's fine. Maybe I'm just too far in front at the moment.....

I will certainly be going down this avenue and posting my results as they develop. As I feel this is what the Axe 3 is all about. Tweaking the parameters in the virtual world and coming up with something new. instead of churning out the same old tones....

Im very surprised I am the first to think in this way and nobody else has started to experiment in this area. I thought some of you guys would be all over this. But it seems you are just happy to make a Plexiglas sound like a Plexiglas and so forth......

Once you dig into the pre-amp and power amp sections of these amps.......everything changes.....DRASTICALLY.

All I wanted to know was, if anyone had thought like I have, and beat me to it?? and could post or state how they have achieved it?

Seems not.

So, when I make a Rig that uses Marshall heads in an unconventional way and I still make them sound amazing, that will be my

DREAM MARSHALL RIG!

In the meantime, If anyone does have any ideas of this nature please feel free to post.

Does that make things clearer?
:)

I named this thread "Dream Marshall Rig" as I wanted to know if someone had built their Dream Marshall Rig. BUT and and its quite a big But...However..... (and I did outline this in my very first post) I am looking for guys who have maybe bent the rules a little....
Maybe you should read your first post again... Because you absolutely did NOT outline this anywhere I can see.

I've quoted the whole first post here:

So here's the idea......

Build a dream Marshall Rig from The Axe fx 3 Marshall Models.

We need A killer Clean sound (somehow). Lol. A low gain crunch, a high gain crunch, and a lead sound of some description.

You can use any of the Marshall sims so it is not necessary to get all of these sounds from one amp.

For example, Jtm45 for clean, Jtm45 jump for low gain, Jcm800 for high crunch and HJS410 for lead.

Give it a go I would be interested to hear the responses!

I agree, his chastising us for not reading his mind is confusing(be polite).
If your last post was your first, it would of completely changed our perception of what you needed from us.

I still think you need an offering(set of Marshall scenes with your idea of CLEAN), considering you're so adept at creating what you need. Heathens like me can use all the help I can get!:smirk:

Ahh unix-guy!

When I last checked you were “out” as far as this post and thread were concerned?

Maybe you should stick to programming computers as clearly guitar playing is definitely NOT your forte in life!!

However, offering your pointless and worthless criticism of people’s ideas on this forum is obviously your strongpoint!!

You have not Inputted a single solitary speck of advice or intelligence Into this thread other than trying to demise every aspect of it.

Now if you don’t mind..... if you don’t have any useful information for us...

Please carry on being a computer programmer because trolling guitar forums must be a trait a of a bored computer nerd that wished he was a guitar player.

By the way if you do have any ideas that actually correspond to this thread I would love to hear the depth of your knowledge in this matter seeing as you have made a massive stance u-turn and decided to now consider yourself “in” on the conversation once again.

But thanks for pointing out that you didn’t catch the drift of my post first time around.

Maybe next time I’ll send it in machine code for you and then troll your upcoming posts and be generally unhelpful

Back
Top Bottom