Adam Jones Tool "The Pot"

I had a killer one on my IIXL but haven’t made one on the III. I’ve been waiting for the new album to come out to build a few new Adam Jones patches. If I remember I used the same VH Blue CH3 with a Mesa V30 cab but also used a both a Plexi or an Uber in a dual amp setup and I’d drive the Plexi with a Micro drive pedal, the Uber doesn’t need it, but you could still use drive pedals or a filter block into the amps if you’re needing any pre-eq. Oh & those go into V30’s too. And then just add in your effects as dictated by the song.

I had a killer one on my IIXL but haven’t made one on the III. I’ve been waiting for the new album to come out to build a few new Adam Jones patches. If I remember I used the same VH Blue CH3 with a Mesa V30 cab but also used a both a Plexi or an Uber in a dual amp setup and I’d drive the Plexi with a Micro drive pedal, the Uber doesn’t need it, but you could still use drive pedals or a filter block into the amps if you’re needing any pre-eq. Oh & those go into V30’s too. And then just add in your effects as dictated by the song.
Thanks!

I got the new album a little early.. I didn’t do any scenes on that patch nor did I set up any effects really aside from some generic reverb & delay.. and ya probably don’t need the drive pedals but I put em in there cause he has them in his rig. If ya switch the Marshall (Amp 2) to channel B ya might want the drive for a little more treble. I wasn’t sure if I liked the Marshall setup like Chanel B or C.
Hopefully this will get ya headed in the right direction. If/when I go back thru and do the effects & dial it in some more I’ll repost another link.

If for some reason the cab blocks aren’t saved with the preset, I’m not sure if the cab block info is saved along with the patch
Cab block 1 is Factory 2 #822 & Cab block 2 is Legacy #54 & just put the Balance of each block Hard L/R.

If for some reason the cab blocks aren’t saved with the preset, I’m not sure if the cab block info is saved along with the patch
Cab block 1 is Factory 2 #822 & Cab block 2 is Legacy #54 & just put the Balance of each block Hard L/R.

The production on the new Tool album is pretty crazy. I would be really happy if you could come up with a preset that is close to his tone starting at 9:18 of Pneuma. I'm new to the Axe Fx 3 and had a Diezel VH4 stereo before so I would love to see what you can come up with. Thanks!!

The production on the new Tool album is pretty crazy. I would be really happy if you could come up with a preset that is close to his tone starting at 9:18 of Pneuma. I'm new to the Axe Fx 3 and had a Diezel VH4 stereo before so I would love to see what you can come up with. Thanks!!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ev1iycpi3ptrhgj/TOOL pneuma 918.syx?dl=0

I’m damn close here, with a Satch Track in the Bridge of my Knaggs Severn. You might have to EQ it a little differently for your guitar & pickup so here’s how those post amp EQ’s are working, the first one is dealing with the highs & giving that sizzle he has & the second one is scooping the mids. Just so you can follow my thinking if it helps ya. But who knows, sometimes these things transfer well sometimes they don’t. This was made for a FRFR stereo rig.

Last edited:
Oh & disregard that pitch block, I tune down 1/2 step & they don’t.. so instead of tuning the guitar I just used that.

Awesome. I'll try it after work. FYI - Here was his recording setup for Jambi on Lateralus. I actually have a Les Paul with a SH4 JB so I should be able to tweak to get it right. The Super Bass and Rivera KR7 aren't modeled in the Axe Fx so it is just for reference. I was surprised that he isn't scooping the mids at all...

Guitar: 1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom with Seymour Duncan SH4 JB (bridge pickup only); volume: 10, tone: 10
Amp: 1976 Marshall Model 1992 JMP Super Bass 100-watt head (Presence: 4.5, Bass: 0, Middle: 10, Treble: 3, Volume I: 4, Volume II: 5.5, Input I top left, jumper between input I bottom left and input II top right) into Marshall 4x12 with Celestion G12M Greenback speakers; c. 1994-97 Diezel VH4 blue (Channel 3, Bass: 8, Middle: 10, Treble: 8.5, Volume: 5.5, Gain: 4.5) into Mesa 4x12 with Celestion G12 Vintage 30 speakers; Rivera KR7 Knucklehead Reverb Mick Thomson Signature (Channel 3, Presence: 6, Focus: 7, Sub Cut: 5/High Pass On, Reverb: 0, Master 3: 7, Treble: 7, Middle: 8/Scoop Off, Bass: 6, Gain:7.5, High Gain input) into Rivera 4x12 with Celestion G12T-75 speakers
Effects: Heil Talk Box
Strings/tuning: Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom .010-.052/D, A, D, G, B, E
Pick: Dunlop USA Nylon .88

Awesome. I'll try it after work. FYI - Here was his recording setup for Jambi on Lateralus. I actually have a Les Paul with a SH4 JB so I should be able to tweak to get it right. The Super Bass and Rivera KR7 aren't modeled in the Axe Fx so it is just for reference. I was surprised that he isn't scooping the mids at all...

Guitar: 1978 Gibson Les Paul Custom with Seymour Duncan SH4 JB (bridge pickup only); volume: 10, tone: 10
Amp: 1976 Marshall Model 1992 JMP Super Bass 100-watt head (Presence: 4.5, Bass: 0, Middle: 10, Treble: 3, Volume I: 4, Volume II: 5.5, Input I top left, jumper between input I bottom left and input II top right) into Marshall 4x12 with Celestion G12M Greenback speakers; c. 1994-97 Diezel VH4 blue (Channel 3, Bass: 8, Middle: 10, Treble: 8.5, Volume: 5.5, Gain: 4.5) into Mesa 4x12 with Celestion G12 Vintage 30 speakers; Rivera KR7 Knucklehead Reverb Mick Thomson Signature (Channel 3, Presence: 6, Focus: 7, Sub Cut: 5/High Pass On, Reverb: 0, Master 3: 7, Treble: 7, Middle: 8/Scoop Off, Bass: 6, Gain:7.5, High Gain input) into Rivera 4x12 with Celestion G12T-75 speakers
Effects: Heil Talk Box
Strings/tuning: Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom .010-.052/D, A, D, G, B, E
Pick: Dunlop USA Nylon .88
Yeah, no mids scooped thru the gain staging. Although I will say that the Satch Track I’m using has a lot of mids in it. It’s actually the neck pickup he uses, but it matches up well with the Area 67’s in the mid & neck particularly when coil split in the 2nd position.
I have a strat with an 89x in the neck I probably should have used and could always check/tweak the patch to that if this is way off, but if it’s that far off for ya I’d suspect it’s probably something else that’s not transferring well. I’m sure you’ll probably have to tweak it a little bit.. I guess we’ll see..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ev1iycpi3ptrhgj/TOOL pneuma 918.syx?dl=0

I’m damn close here, with a Satch Track in the Bridge of my Knaggs Severn. You might have to EQ it a little differently for your guitar & pickup so here’s how those post amp EQ’s are working, the first one is dealing with the highs & giving that sizzle he has & the second one is scooping the mids. Just so you can follow my thinking if it helps ya. But who knows, sometimes these things transfer well sometimes they don’t. This was made for a FRFR stereo rig.

Any chance you could have a crack at the clean tone from the start of Descending?

Any chance you could have a crack at the clean tone from the start of Descending?
I can’t find what he uses for his clean tones.. I see he uses a JC-120 but I believe that is just for the Moog.. so I’m assuming he’s probably just using the Diesel for the clean? I’ll give a crack at it, I’m digging this album the more I listen to it.. takes awhile to soak it all in cause the songs are so long.. but I’ve always liked long tunes. I’m a big opeth fan.
Anyway, if you know what amp he actually does use for his clean tone let me know. I’ll try it with the diesel if that’s not the right vibe maybe I’ll give the Friedman Dirty Shirley a go. Probably either one will work, they’re both killer amps. But might as well be accurate if we can.. *might be a few days, as my wife is home for the long weekend.. lol, she not a big fan of loud music.

Last edited:
Thanks for the presets! Pretty cool stuff
Btw, these are all really the same preset, the latest iteration would be that last one posted. Which, btw also has a Flanger block added with four different flangers, (I couldn’t decide which sounded best, they’re all similar & very subtle but I stole the settings best I could from his BF-2.)
So just in case anyone was d/l all three patches, it’s not necessary, just grab the last one in the thread.

Back
Top Bottom