Axe-Edit

Its a retired product so I wouldn't get my hopes up on an update on this software. Perhaps some computer wiz can chime in with some clever workaround

I don't think its all that much work to build the apps for 64 bit only, however I'm no developers so I could be wrong. Plus it would take the incentive to do so. But for now at a price you could run an older version of Mac OSX in VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop to keep running 32 bit versions. Not exactly an ideal solution but there are options. Also you could partition with the older OS on one.

I generally jump on ever beta available of OSX. Not this time around sadly. Doing inventory of what apps are 64 and 32 bit for me is a mixed bag of "Oh shit". Adobe CS6 being the one I hate to loose the most, its bought and payed for and no intention of moving to the cloud subscription. So I guess I have no choice but to go with a virtual machine to run legacy apps and eat a ton of drive space in doing so.

Last edited:
Catalina has not been released yet. it is a beta and therefore many apps may not work.

It would still be nice to hear from Michael Pickens on the subject. With FM3 launching soon I'm sure everyone at fractal is busy. I think its a 50/50 mixed bag of people that will be upgrading to Catalina. Im sure most Mac users with legacy software will be in the same sinking boat.

In fairness to Apple it's not like this is a big surprise to everyone running Mojave as it warns you the end is coming every time you launch a 32 bit app.

I don't think its all that much work to build the apps for 64 bit only, however I'm no developers so I could be wrong. Plus it would take the incentive to do so. But for now at a price you could run an older version of Mac OSX in VMware Fusion or Parallels Desktop to keep running 32 bit versions. Not exactly an ideal solution but there are options. Also you could partition with the older OS on one.

I generally jump on ever beta available of OSX. Not this time around sadly. Doing inventory of what apps are 64 and 32 bit for me is a mixed bag of "Oh shit". Adobe CS6 being the one I hate to loose the most, its bought and payed for and no intention of moving to the cloud subscription. So I guess I have no choice but to go with a virtual machine to run legacy apps and eat a ton of drive space in doing so.
I might just partition the drive and install an older version of OSX. I didn’t think of that so thank you.

I didn’t think about partitioning the drive. That could work. Cool !

Its a retired product so I wouldn't get my hopes up on an update on this software. Perhaps some computer wiz can chime in with some clever workaround

I let a few months go by, hoping that the problem would be resolved in the meantime, and now that I'm checking again, I'm worried about this.

So this means that, in a few months when I upgrade to Catalina, I'll lose the ability to configure my Axe-FX II with any sort of efficiency... I've only had the device for three years, so this makes for a rather short support time, given the price of the thing.

That leaves installing a virtual machine to run Axe-Edit. Does anyone has any advice about this? Which VM would you use?

I'm using Axe-Edit 3.14.5 actually on macOS Sierra.
System informations (Apple-Button > About This Mac) and the Activity Monitor both show me
the information, that this Axe-Edit version is accounted as a 64-bit app.
So it should run on macOS systems, which only support 64-bit apps.

I'm using Axe-Edit 3.14.5 actually on macOS Sierra.
System informations (Apple-Button > About This Mac) and the Activity Monitor both show me
the information, that this Axe-Edit version is accounted as a 64-bit app.
So it should run on macOS systems, which only support 64-bit apps.
That version is for Axe Fx II. I’m using the AX8. Ax Edit is 32 bit for ax 8. They have not updated it yet

I'm a bit confused. After LPaulasBestFriend's post I checked again. In fact, Axe-Edit appears in two places in System Information (on Mojave):
  • in "Applications" as a 64 bits app
  • in "Legacy Software" as a 32 bits app
Having only seen the second one, I concluded that it was still a 32 bit app. But indeed, a direct check in Activity Monitor while it's running confirms that it is 64 bits. Then I apologize for my mistake, and I'm more than a little relieved. :)

I just hope that the fact that it still appears as 32 bits in the System Info is nothing to worry about. A quick research shows that it might just be from a previous version of Axe-Edit, as there are reports that this list isn't always properly refreshed by the system.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused. After LPaulasBestFriend's post I checked again. In fact, Axe-Edit appears in two places in System Information (on Mojave):
  • in "Applications" as a 64 bits app
  • in "Legacy Software" as a 32 bits app
Having only seen the second one, I concluded that it was still a 32 bit app. But indeed, a direct check in Activity Monitor while it's running confirms that it is 64 bits. Then I apologize for my mistake, and I'm more than a little relieved. :)

I just hope that the fact that it still appears as 32 bits in the System Info is nothing to worry about. A quick research shows that it might just be from a previous version of Axe-Edit, as there are reports that this list isn't always properly refreshed by the system.
It was updated today ;-) Thank you FA.

It was updated today ;-) Thank you FA.

I don't see any recent update, are you sure? The version I used for my previous post above is 3.14.5, which was released a while ago. Or are you talking about Ax8-Edit?

By the way, another thread on the Axe-FX II subforum made me think about something else: what about the USB driver? Was it ported to 64 bits? If it doesn't work in Catalina, Axe-Edit will be useless, 64 bits or not (unless I misunderstood what the driver is for).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom