Software "MIKKO" - Next Gen Cab Sim | Shoot your own IR's [ML Sound Lab]

Third party software for Fractal Audio products.
I wish I still had my II... I asked my good friend Zach to shoot this video and his answer was "there's nothing to it - it just works". :D But he shot it anyways:

If that's not enough then replace the OUTPUT block in your Axe-Fx with an FX Loop block and that should get rid of that direct sound coming through while sending that signal to the MIKKO. Good luck!

Well, I don't know what's happening on my end but this is still not working. I watched Zach's video and noticed when I opened Audio/Midi settings my screen looked different than his. Here is Zach's:

Zach screenshot.JPG

Here is mine:

Me screenshot.JPG

His doesn't have the Audio Device Type pull down menu. I've changed the settings on that menu to each of the options and never gotten the Mikko cab sound.

I also noticed in Zach's video he wasn't running the FX loop as suggested by @Heavyplayer

I'm running the free version if that makes a difference. I'm using that because I wanted to make sure this would work with my II before purchasing.

I'm not sure if anyone can help me. I keep reading how easy this is supposed to be and I want it to work.

Well, I don't know what's happening on my end but this is still not working. I watched Zach's video and noticed when I opened Audio/Midi settings my screen looked different than his. Here is Zach's:

View attachment 57172

Here is mine:

View attachment 57173

His doesn't have the Audio Device Type pull down menu. I've changed the settings on that menu to each of the options and never gotten the Mikko cab sound.

I also noticed in Zach's video he wasn't running the FX loop as suggested by @Heavyplayer

I'm running the free version if that makes a difference. I'm using that because I wanted to make sure this would work with my II before purchasing.

I'm not sure if anyone can help me. I keep reading how easy this is supposed to be and I want it to work.
Instead of Windows Audio choose ASIO to get the Fractal driver. :)

I tried what the other poster showed in the axe fx 2 to have amp then he puts reverb then fx block but it places the reverb before the cab in the vst. It doesn't sound right. Am I missing something or is there a routing option to do this other than shooting the ir and importing to axe fx can block? I want to use the vst as my cab to save cpu in the axe.
By the way excellent program. I just found out about it now and downloaded the trial but I'm plan to purchase as soon as I recover my PayPal password. I haven't used PayPal in years.

Paul

Last edited:
I tried what the other poster showed in the axe fx 2 to have amp then he puts reverb then fx block but it places the reverb before the cab in the vst. It doesn't sound right. Am I missing something or is there a routing option to do this other than shooting the ir and importing to axe fx can block? I want to use the vst as my cab to save cpu in the axe.
By the way excellent program. I just found out about it now and downloaded the trial but I'm plan to purchase as soon as I recover my PayPal password. I haven't used PayPal in years.

Paul
That's great Paul and thank you. Make sure you're not using a cab block in the Fractal so you're not getting "double cab modeling" as that'll give you a pretty muffled sound. Most of the issues people have is that they get the direct monitor sound simultaneously through their setup or they double the cab simulation. :)

Shot some really really great IR’s this past weekend!

A 121 cap and 57 smooth edge cone (move a bit left for edge or right for smoother) both at 1 inch works for pretty much for every cab. High/low cut to taste.

View attachment 57175
That Mega Old is one of my favorite cabs in real life as well. :) That's the exact same cabinet used for Cab Pack 7 by the way!

That Mega Old is one of my favorite cabs in real life as well. :) That's the exact same cabinet used for Cab Pack 7 by the way!

It’s my favorite so far out of “Mikko”. I mixed it with the mega 412 new tonight with some interesting results.

So the mega old is a traditional cab and the mega new is oversized?

I have the cob block off and no shu t after the fx loop but the problem is with the signal chain. I have amp then reverb or whatever effect I want then the fx block going into my daw which has the vst loaded no double monitoring going ob but the reverb should be after the cab not before. I believe this is why it doesn't sound right. I can't figure out a way to have the reverb block in my axe fx to sit after the vst mikko cab sim. I think I'm making sense. Thanks for such a quick response.

The only work around I see is to export the ir from Mikko and load it in the axe cab then add my reverb. But I want to avoid using the axe fx can block. Again it's an axe fx 2 xl+

I have the cob block off and no shu t after the fx loop but the problem is with the signal chain. I have amp then reverb or whatever effect I want then the fx block going into my daw which has the vst loaded no double monitoring going ob but the reverb should be after the cab not before. I believe this is why it doesn't sound right. I can't figure out a way to have the reverb block in my axe fx to sit after the vst mikko cab sim. I think I'm making sense. Thanks for such a quick response.

The only work around I see is to export the ir from Mikko and load it in the axe cab then add my reverb. But I want to avoid using the axe fx can block. Again it's an axe fx 2 xl+
These are essentially routing issues that's required for all standalone programs so it's all about understanding how you're routing things. Mainly - what is the output you're listening to? Meaning, do you plug headphones to your Axe-Fx II or are you listening to it through your computer with another USB audio interface or are you using your Axe-Fx II as the USB audio interface?

If you're listening to the output of the Axe-Fx directly - then you need to have MIKKO in the loop via USB and return that signal as well so it's like this:
Guitar -> Axe-Fx input -> FX loop send -> MIKKO -> FX loop return -> Axe-Fx output
For this operation use the ASIO FAS USB driver like people said showed earlier in this thread.

If you're using another audio interface that you're listening to then that's the easiest Standalone setup. Plug your Axe-Fx without cab simulation to your interface and simply choose that input from the standalone options:
Guitar -> Axe-Fx input -> Axe-Fx output -> Audio interface -> MIKKO -> USB audio interface output
For this operation use you audio interface's ASIO driver.

If you're using a DAW then that's the easiest setup and you just run things like you always do but just insert MIKKO and bypass your cab section.

These are essentially routing issues that's required for all standalone programs so it's all about understanding how you're routing things. Mainly - what is the output you're listening to? Meaning, do you plug headphones to your Axe-Fx II or are you listening to it through your computer with another USB audio interface or are you using your Axe-Fx II as the USB audio interface?

If you're listening to the output of the Axe-Fx directly - then you need to have MIKKO in the loop via USB and return that signal as well so it's like this:
Guitar -> Axe-Fx input -> FX loop send -> MIKKO -> FX loop return -> Axe-Fx output
For this operation use the ASIO FAS USB driver like people said showed earlier in this thread.

If you're using another audio interface that you're listening to then that's the easiest Standalone setup. Plug your Axe-Fx without cab simulation to your interface and simply choose that input from the standalone options:
Guitar -> Axe-Fx input -> Axe-Fx output -> Audio interface -> MIKKO -> USB audio interface output
For this operation use you audio interface's ASIO driver.

If you're using a DAW then that's the easiest setup and you just run things like you always do but just insert MIKKO and bypass your cab section.
Yep I'm using the axe 2 as the audio Interface and monitoring with the daw directly from the axe fx through studio monitors. I don't have any experience routing with the send and return blocks but I think I understand what you mean. I will give it a shot tonight.

Again thanks for taking the time to help me put with this and so quickly. Truly impressive support. I know you have to be super busy with your work.
I got a bit confused when I saw all the routing options in the one video for the axe 3 but wow just amazing peace of hardware.
I'll take some more time and watch the videos again as well.

Paul

So today I posted a video explaining how you'd use MIKKO with real amps and in it I discuss the Fractal Reactive Load as well:

I haven’t yet used Mikko with realamps and loadbox and the onboard cabs and mixing options available in the III are really great but Mikko can pretty much hold up to them,but to myears, where Mikko really shines is tracking Helix Native in aDAW , as the onboard cabs have always been the weak link there.

Hi, guys.

Does anyone know the actual latency when using MIKKO with real amps? I'm planning to buy it tomorrow to use it with my tube amps and Suhr Reactive Load for recording direct.

Thanks!

Hi, guys.

Does anyone know the actual latency when using MIKKO with real amps? I'm planning to buy it tomorrow to use it with my tube amps and Suhr Reactive Load for recording direct.

Thanks!
Hey - first of all thank you for the interest in MIKKO. The latency will depend on your computer a little bit but I was playing with my Fractal X-Load and running it in standalone and I even got the lowest buffer setting to work so it was just a couple of milliseconds of delay. Can't feel the latency at all. Obviously this varies based on the computer and audio device.

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you're not feeling latency. I'll try MIKKO tomorrow and, if I feel no latency, I'll immediately purchase it. :)
Hey - first of all thank you for the interest in MIKKO. The latency will depend on your computer a little bit but I was playing with my Fractal X-Load and running it in standalone and I even got the lowest buffer setting to work so it was just a couple of milliseconds of delay. Can't feel the latency at all. Obviously this varies based on the computer and audio device.

My 2 cents...

Tried the thing for about half an hour to get the hang of it. I said to myself "OK, it works. I don't feel any latency, so let's purchase the damn thing!"

Today, I've spend a couple of hours playing and recording with MIKKO. Having the full version makes so much sense! I could find two awesome tones from the MEGA OLD and the ZILLA using 2 mics on each cab (57 + 121) in about 15 minutes.

For recording, I get the impression that running the session in 192 makes room for a better sounding MIKKO. I can actually feel no latency. Running the session in 44.1 or 48, makes me feel a slight latency. I haven't tried the other options but highly recommend always running MIKKO at 192.

I've only encountered one issue so far and I hope one of you will assist me in revolving it. As previously mentioned, I'm using MIKKO with my tube amps and Suhr's Reactive Load. The XLR output of the load connects to one of the channels of my Apogee Element 46 -which is set to line level at -10 dB. I'm also cranking up the Level knob of the Reactive Load. In that scenario, Logic Pro X is registering an input signal that's too low, and that results in a tiny audio wave. The only solution I've found so far is connecting the XLR to a mic preamp input -which, after adjusting levels, lets me get a strong and healthy signal. I'd rather not use the mic preamp so as not to color my tone any further. Can you think of any other way to get a strong signal simply using a line input?

Thanks in advance. =)

Back
Top Bottom