Software "MIKKO" - Next Gen Cab Sim | Shoot your own IR's [ML Sound Lab]

Third party software for Fractal Audio products.
I felt like I wasn't making it clear enough - the quality of this simulation is superior to anything that's out there. It's essentially playing a full length IR meaning that it's.. HIGHER RESOLUTION THAN ULTRARES. I hope that doesn't itch anyone in a bad way but I added that on the website as the first section. Obviously when you export IR's and put them in your Fractal it'll be UltraRes quality and that's the best quality IR that any modeler supports out there. I just knew I could go even further so I did. :)

will you later add the other cabs you used for your cab packs ?

When I save one of my presets, the text of the window asking the name is written in extraterrestrial language.

Ill add lost in the stand alone, Ive got it up and running and tried all various inputs, including running axe fx as sound card. I get no connection to my axe fx. Im running axe fx usb direct into my windows computer.

Let's just say it took me about 5-6 months to shoot all those IR's beneath the hood - that's hundreds of thousands of IR's altogether so any existing IR collection will only have small fraction of the needed information for this simulation. Even without any "magic" it actually sounded almost gapless because the IR's are shot very dense (I hope that's the correct word) but I wanted to get a very seamless movement for the mics so there's a little bit of magic in there that realistically calculates the inbetween positions. It's not mixing two IR's together because that would actually sound like an IR mix inbetween so there's some serious magic behind it. :)

I assumed there had to be a bit of "magic" for the inbetween positions. But I'm glad to hear that you shot a huge amount of IR's to keep the "magic" to a minimum.

So hypothetically speaking could I shoot my own set of IR's with the AxeFx and import that library into Mikko? There's no way in hell I'd have the patience to do it. But is the software open ended for other libraries?

Ill add lost in the stand alone, Ive got it up and running and tried all various inputs, including running axe fx as sound card. I get no connection to my axe fx. Im running axe fx usb direct into my windows computer.
I'll make a tutorial on this first thing next week. It depends a little bit on how you've got your unit set up.

I assumed there had to be a bit of "magic" for the inbetween positions. But I'm glad to hear that you shot a huge amount of IR's to keep the "magic" to a minimum.

So hypothetically speaking could I shoot my own set of IR's with the AxeFx and import that library into Mikko? There's no way in hell I'd have the patience to do it. But is the software open ended for other libraries?
It could be done - yes. That was my original idea to also make an IR shooter program that integrates with this UI.

Hey @ML SOUND LAB !

I figured out how to set up MIKKO with the Axe-FX III when the Axe-Fx III is the audio interface. It works, but there is some noticeable latency, even at low buffer setting. I'm using the free version but you would still be able to make IRs with the paid version, despite the latency. Here's how I did it. If there is a better way, please let me know!

• Create a typical preset. Input 1 is at the beginning of the chain and Output 1 is at the end. Run a cable between these blocks. Place an Amp block in the chain. Leave out the Cab block or have a Cab block present but on bypass. If you have a Cab block present on bypass, make sure the Cab block is set up with “Thru” as its bypass mode.
  • After the Amp block, place an Out 2 block. Immediately after the Out 2 block place an In USB block.
  • Launch the standalone MIKKO software. Click on “Options”. Uncheck the box by “Feedback Loop”. For “Audio device type” choose “ASIO”. For “Device” choose “FAS USB Audio ASIO Drive Axe-Fx III”. Under “Active output channels” choose “OUT 7 [In U Block L] + 8 [In U Block R]”. Under “Active input channels” choose “IN 3 [Out 2 Block L] + 4 [Out 2 Block R]”. “Sample rate” should be “48000 Hz”. As for “Audio buffer size”, the lower you go, the lower the latency, but you’ll get some instability. The lowest I can go is 16 samples, but I get a zipping sound when I move the mic around in MIKKO. Even at 16 samples, there is a noticeable latency.
  • Finally, go the front panel on the Axe-Fx III, go into “Setup” and select “I/O”. Go to the “USB/AES” page. The “USB 7/8” will probably be turned all the way down to -40.0 dB. If you turn it to -20 dB, that seems to provide a good level without overloading the Output 1 block on the Axe-Fx III.

Last edited:

See my post above for setting up the Axe-Fx III as your interface with the standalone MIKKO.

This may have been covered but I am on vacation and may have Missed it. Is the movement of the mics also closer and further from the cab and not just side to side? Are there on and off axis positions?

I’ve pretty much have only used one particular brand of IR for the last several years, the one thing I always wish is there were IRs that we’re moved back from the speaker a tad.

This may have been covered but I am on vacation and may have Missed it. Is the movement of the mics also closer and further from the cab and not just side to side? Are there on and off axis positions?

I’ve pretty much have only used one particular brand of IR for the last several years, the one thing I always wish is there were IRs that we’re moved back from the speaker a tad.

Yes, you can move the mic up to 16 inches away from the speaker. You can point the mic anywhere on the speaker cone. No off axis positions.

Anyone know how long the 20% discount is good for? I’m gonna be downloading the trial Monday night and work on some demo stuff this week. If I can tell an improvement over what I been using... it’s gonna be mine!

Axe 2 by the by, thanks.

Ok so I know due to trademarks no one from ML can say but can anyone else help speculate?

MEGA are "Mega" V30s - new and old spec
MARS are "Greens" -90s and 70s spec
ZILA is a heavy Creambutt
SURE is a V-type of speaker
FNDR is an A-type of speaker
DIZL is a "regular v30"
EDVH is that EDVH striped speaker

•Mega= Mesa cab with 2 different types of V30?
•Mars= 2 different Marshall cabs each with
Greenbacks, 1 cab from 70’s and one from 90’s?
•Zila= obvious what the cab is, speakers are
Creambacks?
•Sure= again obvious on the cab brand, V30
speaker?
•Dizl= obvious cab again and again V30?
•EDVH=5150iii cab with matching celestions?
•Fndr= maybe a twin? What would the Atype
speakers be?

Ok so I know due to trademarks no one from ML can say but can anyone else help speculate?

MEGA are "Mega" V30s - new and old spec
MARS are "Greens" -90s and 70s spec
ZILA is a heavy Creambutt
SURE is a V-type of speaker
FNDR is an A-type of speaker
DIZL is a "regular v30"
EDVH is that EDVH striped speaker

•Mega= Mesa cab with 2 different types of V30?
•Mars= 2 different Marshall cabs each with
Greenbacks, 1 cab from 70’s and one from 90’s?
•Zila= obvious what the cab is, speakers are
Creambacks?
•Sure= again obvious on the cab brand, V30
speaker?
•Dizl= obvious cab again and again V30?
•EDVH=5150iii cab with matching celestions?
•Fndr= maybe a twin? What would the Atype
speakers be?

Fnder Celestion A type
Shure Cel Vtype

I bought this yesterday and it’s just what I needed. Very easy to adjust the sound to my taste. Thanks Mikko!

I noticed some bugs. Sometimes the plugin changes the cab type by itself, or I’m not sure if it happens when I change the mic type or select another mic of two mics, but suddenly I notice the cab has changed. That happened several times. Also if you choose one of your saved custom presets, sometimes it shows the preset name but mostly it just says custom preset.

Man. I really love this plug - especially the "Sure" cab.

When saving to an existing preset there is some "funny" nonsens words like this :

Skærmbillede 2019-07-22 kl. 11.34.38.pngSkærmbillede 2019-07-22 kl. 11.34.49.png
It's with the 1.0.1 update.

And I think I could live the rest of my life happily with these cabs. But if you ever considered making some AC30 Celestion Blues I would buy them in a heartbeat.

Back
Top Bottom