Software "MIKKO" - Next Gen Cab Sim | Shoot your own IR's [ML Sound Lab]

Third party software for Fractal Audio products.
Mikko I just downloaded the free version and it really looks like this is gonna become an industry standard.
You really outdid yourself this time.

"Picking" an IR with this thing is much more enjoyable.

Is there any way to set each individual mic level?
Yes - there's a mix control in the mic controls that defaults all mics to -6dB but everything gets normalized so the volume difference stays the same as well unlike in most IR mixers. ;) Thank you so much!

Congrats to you Mikko for your Mikko! If I'll ever be in need of new IRs, this is where I'll go.

I have one small idea, maybe others agree. Muting / Soloing one individual mic is done by mouse click on the corresponding symbol. I personally would hate it if I accidently moved it. So my suggestion is to provide an (additional) approach to only hover the symbol and then use the keyboard, e.g. the letters m and s.

Will there be an additional option to set the microphone angle?

Congrats to you Mikko for your Mikko! If I'll ever be in need of new IRs, this is where I'll go.

I have one small idea, maybe others agree. Muting / Soloing one individual mic is done by mouse click on the corresponding symbol. I personally would hate it if I accidently moved it. So my suggestion is to provide an (additional) approach to only hover the symbol and then use the keyboard, e.g. the letters m and s.

Will there be an additional option to set the microphone angle?
Right click on mouse is MUTE/UNMUTE and double click is SOLO/UNSOLO. The mics don't move when you do this. I did the UI design so there was a lot of prototypes. One version had all sort of knobs but it was hard to use and ugly. Trying to keep it fun and easy to use. :) Will think about this more.

My Axe III is my main audio interface. How do I set up the inputs/outputs in order to use the standalone Mikko? Thanks!
You need to set the ins and outs a bit differently with USB if you use Standalone with Fractal. I'll make a video tutorial on it next week. Essentially bypass the cab and use the USB output. Then in MIKKO audio settings choose Axe-Fx driver and ins and outs accordingly and it should work. Depending on your setup you may need to connect an USB in to output 1 in the patch somewhere. This enables direct monitoring. So now you have MIKKO in the loop via USB. It should work like this but don't quote me just yet. I'll make a tutorial soon. :)

You need to set the ins and outs a bit differently with USB if you use Standalone with Fractal. I'll make a video tutorial on it next week. Essentially bypass the cab and use the USB output. Then in MIKKO audio settings choose Axe-Fx driver and ins and outs accordingly and it should work. Depending on your setup you may need to connect an USB in to output 1 in the patch somewhere. This enables direct monitoring. So now you have MIKKO in the loop via USB. It should work like this but don't quote me just yet. I'll make a tutorial soon. :)

Thank you Mikko! I’ll keep an eye out for that video!

Looks cool Mikko! I might buy this if I can get it to work right. I figured out how to get the buffer size down, (noobz) but for what ever reason when I disable the cab block in the Axefx II I get that horrible no cab sound bleeding through. I hear that more then this program.

Any clue? I'm running windows 10 64bit.

Miko, how can i export my custom presets between the stand alone and plug?
Is it now showing the same presets for plugin and standalone? I believe they should be. Not sure how it is on a mac but they're actual files on Windows that you can just move to different folders and they should work. :)

Hello Mikko,

If I put all the mics in the exact same spot, how do I do to select one of them ?

Thanks
Good question - I've actually already started thinking about that. So far the best thing I've come with (besides not using that many mics) is to create a new mic selector in an update. Thank you for the request!

Looks cool Mikko! I might buy this if I can get it to work right. I figured out how to get the buffer size down, (noobz) but for what ever reason when I disable the cab block in the Axefx II I get that horrible no cab sound bleeding through. I hear that more then this program.

Any clue? I'm running windows 10 64bit.
I'll make a tutorial about this next week! You're hearing "direct monitoring" and that's the signal that comes out of your Axe-Fx. What you need to do is get MIKKO in the loop of your Axe-Fx. Lowest latency may be to use the Fractal as a sound card and send USB to MIKKO and USB back to Axe-Fx. :) It's difficult to explain. :)

I have to admit that I did not think I would like or need this. I have a bunch of your cabs as well as some YA and FA cab packs. I spent a lot of time mixing up a few IR’s that I generally stick with. I got a great tone in like 5 minutes with this! Super easy!

Ok so I just bought the license - your welcome - guess I am not going out tonight lol. I played with the export and it looks like the default is 48k stereo wav. I want to be able to use whatever nightmare I create in Logic stand alone with the Axe so...

I brought it into Cab Lab and converted it syx then used Axe Edit to import it. That worked but some dual use tips here would be appreciated. Great product!

Hey Mikko. Awesome looking software! How does the movement of the mics work under the hood? How many IR's does it take for a single mic on a cab to be able to move the mic into all those positions? How does the software fill in the gaps?

I'm assuming one cannot import just any cab pack and start moving mics around. Am I correct in assuming you will have to create new IR packs that are compatible with Mikko?

Ok so I just bought the license - your welcome - guess I am not going out tonight lol. I played with the export and it looks like the default is 48k stereo wav. I want to be able to use whatever nightmare I create in Logic stand alone with the Axe so...

I brought it into Cab Lab and converted it syx then used Axe Edit to import it. That worked but some dual use tips here would be appreciated. Great product!
I've thought about IR export presets. Fractal would be 48khz 24bit mono and sure I'd love to be allowed to export .syx format but that's against the rules sadly.

Hey Mikko. Awesome looking software! How does the movement of the mics work under the hood? How many IR's does it take for a single mic on a cab to be able to move the mic into all those positions? How does the software fill in the gaps?

I'm assuming one cannot import just any cab pack and start moving mics around. Am I correct in assuming you will have to create new IR packs that are compatible with Mikko?
Let's just say it took me about 5-6 months to shoot all those IR's beneath the hood - that's hundreds of thousands of IR's altogether so any existing IR collection will only have small fraction of the needed information for this simulation. Even without any "magic" it actually sounded almost gapless because the IR's are shot very dense (I hope that's the correct word) but I wanted to get a very seamless movement for the mics so there's a little bit of magic in there that realistically calculates the inbetween positions. It's not mixing two IR's together because that would actually sound like an IR mix inbetween so there's some serious magic behind it. :)

Back
Top Bottom