Help me choose a midi controller

Brownmatthall

Power User
So, lately I've been messing around with synth vst's more and more and think I'm at the point where I can justify shelling out for a controller to myself (and like, I've always wanted to learn piano as well so what better gateway?). I'm thinking of getting a 61 key but I'm totally at a loss after dipping my feet into researching what's available, I really just want something that will feel nice to play that I can grow into, that will integrate with my DAW with as little hassle as possible. Help me?

First thing to decide is weighted keys. Weighted keys have a more natural feel. Go to a music store and try both. I find the full 88 more expressive. The smaller keys are limiting.

Next, pick a good sustain pedal. I prefer Yamaha. A sustain pedal is often overlooked but it is critical to playing keys.

Finally, get one that has sounds you like and integrates with the rest of your gear. Just my $0.02.

First thing to decide is weighted keys. Weighted keys have a more natural feel. Go to a music store and try both. I find the full 88 more expressive. The smaller keys are limiting.

Next, pick a good sustain pedal. I prefer Yamaha. A sustain pedal is often overlooked but it is critical to playing keys.

Finally, get one that has sounds you like and integrates with the rest of your gear. Just my $0.02.
The first two points are big considerations of mine, I think I might just have to suck it up and pay a visit to one of the shops in the area to feel it out myself. Any thoughts on the differences between keybeds? That was another point of contention I was reading into

The first two points are big considerations of mine, I think I might just have to suck it up and pay a visit to one of the shops in the area to feel it out myself. Any thoughts on the differences between keybeds? That was another point of contention I was reading into
Different keyboards have different feel, depending on the manufacturer. I suggest you do go to a music store and try as many different keys as possible. It can be very educational.

Piano means weighted keys and more than 61 keys. If you are all for that, get a Casio or Yamaha piano with MIDI outputs, most of them have those. So in addition to getting pretty good piano sounds you are also getting a controller.

I really prefer very light key touches nowadays for most of my synth work, any cheap midi controller such as anything from M-Audio works for me. They tend to get beaten up, especially when gigging, so those are cheap to replace. Never liked the more complex midi controllers even if the NI controllers have excellent keybeds, but you pay a lot then.

Back
Top Bottom