PC returned for minor repair under warranty crushed by shipper, HP wants me to pay for repair!

Randy4Guitars

Power User
Man this sucks. It had a minor problem of crashing when I moved the lid past 90 degrees sometimes, otherwise it was in perfect shape. Sent for repair under warranty and now they want me to pay $700.

I spent $1,500 on a new top of the line HP laptop last year. It's got a nice 4K vid card, really fast, 32 gigs, big 4K screen (don't waste your money on this), and does everything I want. But the warranty was expiring and I talked to HP about the crashing issue and they agreed it sounded like a warranty repair, so they sent me a nice box with packaging and I returned it via fedex. Two weeks later, they want me to pay $700 because it looks like it's been drop kicked across town and they send me these pics. The thing looked brand new when I sent it and I'm not paying them $700. Since I didn't take pictures when I shipped it back, I guess the best I can do is either hope they will give me a huge break on the repair, or I can tell them to suck eggs, and I'm never buying another crappy product from them, and go buy something else.

Anyone have any advice on how to deal with support on something like this?

Attachments

• picture 3.jpg
    picture 3.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 31
Fedex is pretty good about processing insurance claims. HP has done you the favor of already providing a cost estimate for the repair :).

Bummer man. Did you insure it before you shipped it?

No, HP handled it all and I don't know if they insured it. They sent me a box overnight. Inside the box was another box for return shipping, and inside that box, was a big bubble wrap type bag with instructions, a repair form to fill out, and a return shipping label. They instructed me to put the PC in the bag, put the bag in the shipping box, fill out the form, seal it up with the tape they provided, then drop it off with FedEx. It was really good service, except for the crushing of the PC part.

Fedex is pretty good about processing insurance claims. HP has done you the favor of already providing a cost estimate for the repair :).

Except HP said that they inspect the boxes for signs of shipping damage, and that my box had no damage. So they claim I sent a ball peen hammered pc back for warranty repair. Hopefully I can convince them it was shipping damage, and not malfeasance on my part.

I have no good advice to offer, but personally, HP is on my never-do-business-with-again list; but then I suppose all of the major computer manufacturers are on quite a few never-do-business-with-again lists.

yeah, I have a feeling they are going on my list too. But I'll try to get this resolved with them and update here. I wished I had thought to take a picture before i shipped it out as I do for some of my Reverb transactions. But since they covered all the shipping I thought "what could go wrong?" lol

This is not true- they are actually the worst in the busineses with paying out claims.

FedEx doesn't even offer "insurance" it's delivery confirmation which just in the name is another "out" for them

99% of cases get declined on the first try, and then after a few appeals you might get a small percentage of what you're out.

I actually had an identical situation with Dell and a Laptop

Sent in for repair, declined it under warranty because of cracks in the case/housing/plastic caused in shipping- unrelated to the original issue.

They sent it back- got more damaged.

After a good few weeks of fighting I sent it back and they sent me a newer, better laptop. After I had the first one almost a year, maybe 2.

Went from basic i5 to a nice i7 too

What you need to do is move up the hierarchy of HP support until you get to someone you can speak with on the phone. Keep asking to speak to the supervisor.

Keep asking to speak to the supervisor.
^^^This
Everybody has a boss. When you ask to speak to a supervisor you are, in essence, saying 'you obviously are not going to be able to solve my problems so let me speak to someone that can'.

Back
Top Bottom