Hooking up Talk box - Which one and best routing?

Firebird5

I currently run AXE-FX11 into Matrix 1000 watt amp running tow Matrix 1x12 FRFR cabs along with MFC-101 and a couple of Mission pedals.

I want to add a talk box and am torn between the Heil Talkbox you run like a speaker from output of power amp or using a Banshee 2 in front of the AXE-FX like a stomp pedal.

Not sure How I would run the Heil, from the out put of the Matrix amp or inserted between Amp and Speaker cab on the FXII routing (not even sure if this will work).

I am inclined to go with the Banshee 2 because of simpler and safer hookup. Reviews suggest they sound just as good.

Any thought or input would be appreciated.

Guitar to Banshee to Axe input. Done. I use Banshee 1 & 2. Also the new MXR unit.
The Banshee II allows signal output to amp and tube at once, which is why I bought it.

Turns out I used it once and prefer tube only, so basic Banshee is preferred for me.

Simple setup, sounds good. Been using this setup for 3 years live.

The Heil can't take a tremendous amount of wattage but it goes in between an amp and a speaker.

For a basic setup for the AxeFx where you want to use the Amp models in the Axe it could be: guitar -> Axe -> power amp -> Heil Talk Box -> speaker.

There are lots of variations. E.g. you could setup a preset where one output goes for your main signal and another output goes to a small combo amp then the Heil: gtr -> Axe out 1 -> FOH/Monitors AxeFx out 2 -> combo amp -> speaker out -> Heil Talk Box.

I use the banshee and go out the fx loop to a routing system that can send a signal to the banshee, then from a mic to the board. I can shape the distortion sound better than getting it from the banshee that way.
At one time (briefly), I the mic go to a preamp which sent a signal back to the Axe-fx so I could add effects and blend stuff. It work great .... until I used it at rehearsal/gig volume. The feedback was horrendous! :)

I think I will pick up a Banshee 2 and try both running it in FX loop routing as well as in front of AXE-FXII.
The Banshee 2 gives you the ability to let the guitar signal feed your amplifier rig at the same time that the talkbox effect is turned on, I like this feature!!

Thanks for your help!

I think I will pick up a Banshee 2 and try both running it in FX loop routing as well as in front of AXE-FXII.
The Banshee 2 gives you the ability to let the guitar signal feed your amplifier rig at the same time that the talkbox effect is turned on, I like this feature!!

Thanks for your help!

+1

I'm using a Banshee (1) and using the FX loop to send signal to talk box when preset calls for it. The audio path stays within the Axe-Fx until the talk box is used. Also, it is recommended to use 2 mics on a stand (you can use a T mount like this one); 1 for vocals and 1 for the talk box. This way you can set levels and EQ accordingly.

A good talk box sound is one thing the AXE-FXII doesn't seem able to do. There are simulations that others have created that I have tried but not quite good enough.

So my new set up is:
Guitar_Banshee2_Crybaby-Wah_EB-Volume-Pedal_ AXE-FXII_Matrix-GT1000U_Matrix-Q12s.
Using the MFC101 with two Mission Expression pedals to control the AXE.

I think I have everything I could possibly need

Guitar to Banshee to Axe input. Done. I use Banshee 1 & 2. Also the new MXR unit.
The Banshee II allows signal output to amp and tube at once, which is why I bought it.

Turns out I used it once and prefer tube only, so basic Banshee is preferred for me.

Simple setup, sounds good. Been using this setup for 3 years live.
Did you say that you have used a Banshee (1) in front of your Fractal Unit? Did this work well or did you need the Banshee (2) for that?

I always put it before the Axe. With the original Banshee, when you engage
the Talkbox, the guitar signal is routed to the tube and up to your Mic, so it's
bypassing the Axe (or any amp) completely. The Banshee 2 allows this plus
the option to send the signal to the amp as well. I don't care for that myself.
With that option, you hear the Talkbox through the PA as well as the regular
signal. I just want to hear the Talkbox.

I always put it before the Axe. With the original Banshee, when you engage
the Talkbox, the guitar signal is routed to the tube and up to your Mic, so it's
bypassing the Axe (or any amp) completely. The Banshee 2 allows this plus
the option to send the signal to the amp as well. I don't care for that myself.
With that option, you hear the Talkbox through the PA as well as the regular
signal. I just want to hear the Talkbox.

So if I am reading this correctly, you are not taking this signal through a mic with your voice? It is only going through the fractal unit.

So if I am reading this correctly, you are not taking this signal through a mic with your voice? It is only going through the fractal unit.
No, by putting the Banshee before the Axe when you step on the Bansheee to turn it on your guitar signal goes through the Banshee to a mic and totally bypasses the Axe. This is the way I have run it for years with no problems.

Right, as Strat714 stated, the signal is routed through the Talkbox tube to a Vocal
Mic and out through the PA, bypassing the Axe (or amp) completely..

I used a Banshee for many years, but switched to the MXR unit. I run it in a loop of my III and use very little gain on the box so I can use the amp distortion (more flexible tone shaping than just the 3 knobs on the unit), plus this allows me to use it with the synth and the harmonizer to get different sounds. Lotsa fun.

Cheaper, simpler, smaller, and somehow the internal amp is less finicky.
OTOH the tube is a little difficult to manage.

Reactions: Rex
Back
Top Bottom