Wish Polyphonic Synth

Midi Guitar 2 on my iPad can do it quite well. I would assume that Axe Fx has way more DSP than my iPad does ;)

Doesn't Jam Origin have a bunch of patents on their process of polyphonic pitch detection though ? I think its not just a question of processing power, latency etc, but also having the overall algorithms to detect pitch, predict what is next, determine sustain et al., which is where things get tricky, been lots of crap for years that is hardly playable

Then on top of that, there is the questions of overall synthesis, and if you want to be limited to just subtractive synth sounds, or if you also want some sample playback abilities etc

Personally, I think Midi Guitar 2 is pretty sweet. I use the desktop version as I like being able to plug in different VST's. Its actually a pretty good stand alone host as well for vst's, and that of course opens up tons of awesome softsynths, sample libraries etc. I just upgraded to NI Komplete Ultimate Collectors Edition last week, so I've still got like 300 gigs of data to download, but literally like any synth or sample sound you could ever want and for $299... awesome deal.

Again, I wouldn't mind if the Axe could do a bit more, but realistically, its still not going to be a great synth, nor is it likely to have anywhere near the best realtime playing experience, so what would really be the point ? Tons of effort for Cliff on something that only a handful of players actually want, and for those folks who do want it, there are already some really good and quite affordable tools on the market that work great.

Long story short, I'll give you a +1 on the wish, but doubt it would even happen, and even if it does happen, doubt my guitar processor is going to replace any of my synths.....

Now running my synths through my Axe-Fx for effects..... that works fantastic

Doesn't Jam Origin have a bunch of patents on their process of polyphonic pitch detection though ? I think its not just a question of processing power, latency etc, but also having the overall algorithms to detect pitch, predict what is next, determine sustain et al., which is where things get tricky, been lots of crap for years that is hardly playable

Then on top of that, there is the questions of overall synthesis, and if you want to be limited to just subtractive synth sounds, or if you also want some sample playback abilities etc

Personally, I think Midi Guitar 2 is pretty sweet. I use the desktop version as I like being able to plug in different VST's. Its actually a pretty good stand alone host as well for vst's, and that of course opens up tons of awesome softsynths, sample libraries etc. I just upgraded to NI Komplete Ultimate Collectors Edition last week, so I've still got like 300 gigs of data to download, but literally like any synth or sample sound you could ever want and for $299... awesome deal.

Again, I wouldn't mind if the Axe could do a bit more, but realistically, its still not going to be a great synth, nor is it likely to have anywhere near the best realtime playing experience, so what would really be the point ? Tons of effort for Cliff on something that only a handful of players actually want, and for those folks who do want it, there are already some really good and quite affordable tools on the market that work great.

Long story short, I'll give you a +1 on the wish, but doubt it would even happen, and even if it does happen, doubt my guitar processor is going to replace any of my synths.....

Now running my synths through my Axe-Fx for effects..... that works fantastic
My comment was really just in response to the question I replied to.

No doubt Jam Origin probably does have some serious IP around what they do... But I have faith in Cliff, assuming he chose to apply himself to the challenge ;)

Anyway, if it happens, cool. If not, I'm still a very satisfied customer.

My comment was really just in response to the question I replied to.

No doubt Jam Origin probably does have some serious IP around what they do... But I have faith in Cliff, assuming he chose to apply himself to the challenge ;)

Anyway, if it happens, cool. If not, I'm still a very satisfied customer.

For sure if Cliff really wanted to set his mind on making the best guitar synth on the market, he'd no doubt do it. He wanted to make the best amp modeler on the market and certainly hit that one out of the park..... But its a rather big "if"

that would be an absolute killer but maybe a bridge to far to get that technically solved...I think....but would love to have it...

Do you use it live? I'd prefer everything in the box as much as possible.
I am not playing out anymore, I did use it at one of my last gigs a couple times when it was first released and nothing horrible happened, but dont know if I would want to be dependent on it in a live setting

Do you use it live? I'd prefer everything in the box as much as possible.

Could run the iOS version off a tablet or phone and tuck that right into a rack case pretty easily. I use an old phone for Loopy, which can then be controlled with Bluetooth foot controller on my board. I get the desire for pure in the box, but you can rig up pretty compact and reliable external pedals, smartphone etc into a rack case and still have soemthing that is essentially plug and play at a gig, plus that packs an amazing amount of added versatility and processing power over what the Axe can do on its own

Could run the iOS version off a tablet or phone and tuck that right into a rack case pretty easily. I use an old phone for Loopy, which can then be controlled with Bluetooth foot controller on my board. I get the desire for pure in the box, but you can rig up pretty compact and reliable external pedals, smartphone etc into a rack case and still have soemthing that is essentially plug and play at a gig, plus that packs an amazing amount of added versatility and processing power over what the Axe can do on its own
Yep... I've already got something semi-integrated.

But as I said, my preference is to keep it inside the box - same as I do for everything else ;)

How do you have it routed?
Depends on what gear I’m using on any given day. Usually, if I were using MG2 with the Axe-Fx II I’d have it hosted in Live 10 (on a MacBook) and feed a USB DI guitar signal (input 3) into the MG2 plugin. It plays back through the Axe’s mains. That said, there are a handful of different ways to approach it depending on your endgame. You can also do it with an iPad running MG2 over the Axe-Fx II’s USB audio with a bit of elbow grease. There’s a track on my soundcloud called ‘Rawker’ which features a melody doubled with MG2 (iOS) fed a DI from the Axe. The amp sim/fx is not Fractal stuff. It was complex routing in that case but you can do it much more easily with the desktop version.

Back
Top Bottom