FX8 V5.04 Released

All, Just a note that we are still aware of the issue with 5.04 for the FX8 and do intend to pay this product some attention once the dust settles on our company-wide effort of launching the Axe-Fx III and FC series. Thanks for your patience and the cool-headed discussion above.

At this point I'd be happy with just an update on the dust. What's the current dust status?

Seriously though, any info at all on 5.04 would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Must be a dust storm!!

Even though I have no intention on stop using my FX8 just yet, I’ve come to realize it’s at the end of its life cycle and don’t expect anymore updates. Just like the G System when it was forgotten about. Just use it until something new comes out.

I’ve just bought one, and I’m disappointed that the latest effects haven’t been ported over. I love the harmonic trem in my AX8, so was expecting to see that in the FX8. Was Joe Rogers really the key employee that was the only dude that could programme the FX8 and AX8??

All, Just a note that we are still aware of the issue with 5.04 for the FX8 and do intend to pay this product some attention once the dust settles on our company-wide effort of launching the Axe-Fx III and FC series. Thanks for your patience and the cool-headed discussion above.

Today is the one year anniversary of this quote, lets hope the update gets released soon!

And this is why I’d never purchase an FM3. I have both the FX8 and AX8. I purchased on the reputation of continual updates with many here on the forums used to always claim was what separated Fractal from others such as Line6. And now say updates aren’t part of the value proposition. I feel abandoned when there are still know issues that haven’t been addressed

I’d purchase a Axe-FX III (next version Ultra, Plus, XL - what ever it’ll be called) but not the new floor unit. Let’s face it, that’s the only thing they will make sure is updated - as seen with the Axe-FX II. I LOVE my AX8 and FX8. It would also love to not be abandoned so soon

So if I am getting my FX8 this Sat what firmware should I be running, and do not let it try and update the 5.04? The bot bug is only on the 5.04 right?

So if I am getting my FX8 this Sat what firmware should I be running, and do not let it try and update the 5.04? The bot bug is only on the 5.04 right?
Dont' worry about it. 5.04 works fine, except the backup bug, which only affects full preset bank backups using fractal bot. I find it easiest to use FX8-EDIT to backup individual presets if needed.

And this is why I’d never purchase an FM3. I have both the FX8 and AX8. I purchased on the reputation of continual updates with many here on the forums used to always claim was what separated Fractal from others such as Line6. And now say updates aren’t part of the value proposition. I feel abandoned when there are still know issues that haven’t been addressed. I’d purchase a Axe-FX III (next version Ultra, Plus, XL - what ever it’ll be called) but not the new floor unit. Let’s face it, that’s the only thing they will make sure is updated - as seen with the Axe-FX II. I LOVE my AX8 and FX8. It would also love to not be abandoned so soon

Hi Joe and others,

While I think it may have become unlikely that the FX8 will get another firmware update, I want to let you know in the same breath that we have made some deep changes to ensure that firmware updates for the FM3 shouldn't require anything near the level of "porting" that the AX8 and FX8 did. Some of these changes were architectural, others were procedural, and others were organizational. The "unified family" strategy is one of the hidden benefits to spill over from the Axe-Fx III redesign. Only time will prove what I'm saying, but FM3 owners will truly enjoy the updates we'll offer.

I also want to speak to the comment that FX8 or AX8 were "abandoned". Each of these products had a long "run" with plenty of firmware updates. Their widespread use around the world demonstrates that they sound great, work great, and will continue to be used by pros, semi-pros, hobbyist and bedroom players for years to come. A member here posted a stark comparison about a $1000 competing product which hasn't had a firmware update in over ten years.

@Admin M@ I appreciate the honesty as well and taking time to address us. While it wasn't what I wanted to hear, it is good to have closure on this. Both units still sound phenomenal.

Considering I thought fx8 was excellent several years ago before updates, I'm not TOO bummed about the fact that there will be no more.

Looking forward to more fractal gear coming down the pipeline.

Considering I thought fx8 was excellent several years ago before updates, I'm not TOO bummed about the fact that there will be no more.

Looking forward to more fractal gear coming down the pipeline.

Dude, its still a killer unit regardless, we're just spoiled from past stuff Cliff's done. I'll be honest I didn't buy mine new till late 2018 so am I bummed cause I never got 1 update, no not really. Works for me and resale is very good unless you paid full pop....

Only time will prove what I'm saying, but FM3 owners will truly enjoy the updates we'll offer.
I judge actions over words, therefore the FX8 will be my first and last piece of Fractal Audio equipment. I was interested in buying an Axe-Fx III, but I think I will stick with my Kemper Profiler, which is still being updated over 7 years later.

I like my FX8 and it is still useful, but I didn't enjoy being strung along for almost two years waiting for some mythical fixes and enhancements that never came. The FX8 Mark II was released in September 2016 and the last working firmware update was in June 2017, so effectively it was only supported for 9 months, even though sales still continue.

Regards,

John.

Last edited:
Now the big question for me is: will there be a successor with effects only, optimized for 4CM and relay switching?

Now the big question for me is: will there be a successor with effects only, optimized for 4CM and relay switching?

What your describing sounds like FX-8 MKII ..... mine does al that rather well....with that said I think the new model will be color display and aires Effects and drives .... lots colors man

Someone remind me why this is so much better than my Ax8?

Maybe a side by side break down with live use in mind, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom