Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 6.03

A friend pointed out a strange thing, that happens also to me:

PlexDly block sounds right after the cab, but totally different (worst) between amp and cab. Settings are the same
All other block effects sound the same in the two positions.
The Plex Delay produces high-frequency content that doesn't exist in the signal it's being fed. The Cab block is a filter that blocks high-frequency content, so it chokes off those highs when it follows the Plex Delay.

I just noticed a possible bug/feature. I know that with FW6 the front panel tuner access switched from the B button press to the A button press, however I still have to press the B button to exit the tuner. Press A to enter but B to exit. Can anyone else confirm please?
Confirmed and reported.

The Plex Delay produces high-frequency content that doesn't exist in the signal it's being fed. The Cab block is a filter that blocks high-frequency content, so it chokes off those highs when it follows the Plex Delay.

and so, if you have to put the Plex after the cab block to make it sound good, how to behave with output 2 (matrix + real cab)?
In this case I would have the sum of cab block + real cab

and so, if you have to put the Plex after the cab block to make it sound good, how to behave with output 2 (matrix + real cab)?
In this case I would have the sum of cab block + real cab
Anything you feed into a real guitar cab will have its signal affected by the frequency response of the cab. That's why recording studios like to add effects after the cab — after they've miked the cab and fed it into the sound desk. That's where a studio engineer would place a plex delay.

Good thought. The CAB block is a filter and you’re attenuating away a lot of of the plex block’s high frequency content. It will necessarily sound very different before or after the filter as a result.

I just noticed a possible bug/feature. I know that with FW6 the front panel tuner access switched from the B button press to the A button press, however I still have to press the B button to exit the tuner. Press A to enter but B to exit. Can anyone else confirm please?
Ditto, it's that way for me also, not a major problem but a minor hiccup that needs correction.

it would be nice to put the block between amp and cab having the right tone, as using send/return.
In "real life - analog situation", 99% of guitarist use shimmer not from the PA, but in send/return (I did it with Eventide H9, or with Neunaber, or strymon), and in this way the sound is perfect. In Axe III you lost a lot of the shimmer-tone
That's the point.

Some info here:
http://www.roland.co.uk/blog/how-to-chain-your-guitar-effects-pedals/
Also google "effect signal chain" for further information

as you can see the point is a little bit different

Thanks for all the great work Cliff and team!!!
It's the same here now that I've looked, I didn't notice it myself because I turn on the tuner from the FC12.
I also noticed that if you turn on the tuner from Axe Edit then you still have to press the B button on the Axe FX to turn it off.
Not really a problem in my case but I thought I'd mention it in case it helps.
Keep up the excellent service guys, you rock!

It's the same here now that I've looked, I didn't notice it myself because I turn on the tuner from the FC12.
I also noticed that if you turn on the tuner from Axe Edit then you still have to press the B button on the Axe FX to turn it off.
Not really a problem in my case but I thought I'd mention it in case it helps.
Keep up the excellent service guys, you rock!

I just tested the Tuner on my system and I initiated it via Axe-Edit. When I closed the tuner in Axe-Edit, the tuner persisted on my AxeFX3 for about 5 seconds, but then the screen changed back to the preset I was on when I started the Tuner. So no press of any button was required on the AxeFX3, to close the Tuner. FYI

it would be nice to put the block between amp and cab having the right tone, as using send/return.
In "real life - analog situation", 99% of guitarist use shimmer not from the PA, but in send/return (I did it with Eventide H9, or with Neunaber, or strymon), and in this way the sound is perfect. In Axe III you lost a lot of the shimmer-tone
That's the point.

as you can see the point is a little bit different
Crank the high end that the cab is taking away.

Reactions: Rex
That's the point.
Yes, in "real life - analog situation" (let's be honest, though: we're talking about real-life analog live performance situation), most guitarists use shimmer in the amp's effects loop, or even in front of the amp if no loop is available. These are sub-optimal placements that guitarists choose because they have no choice. Putting the effect at the output of the amp would destroy the box. They accept the tonal compromise because they have to.

They do the same thing with reverb. But in the studio, where they are free of such restrictions, those effects almost always go at the end of the chain — after the amp/cab/microphone — because they behave better there.

If you find the before-the-cab sound to be perfect, put it there. Then dial it in for that placement. But remember that "sounds perfect" is often judged without experiencing the alternative.

That's the point.
Also, I get that you're thinking to optimize a dual feed, both direct to FOH and to your own cab. You can dial it in for that placement, as @chris suggested. Or if you can spare the CPU, use a second Plex Delay for the other feed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom