The Aristocrats - 7/1/19 - tour opener

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Last night I saw The Aristocrats on the start of their new tour.

This was Harlow's in Sacramento, California.

The new album is really good and their set last night was about 80% from the new album.

Nice "intimate" setting... About 200-ish.

Great show and Marco Minneman's drum solo was outstanding. Just ridiculously good!

Whether or not you're a fan of their music, all three are at the top of their respective heaps, IMO.

After having seen them a number of times, I'm convinced that Guthrie is hands down the most expressive guitarist alive. His range of dynamics and control of everything he does is mind boggling.

Go see them if you can... They are in San Francisco tonight.

I will post a few crappy cell phone pictures later.

Seeing them at the guitar sanctuary in August (also an intimate setting). Saw them last time through...stellar musicianship, Highly recommended.

I'm not as familiar with the music as I should be...

But I was impressed by Gutherie playing a song on a fretted guitar, on a fretless guitar- perfectly - that's NOT easy.

I'm not as familiar with the music as I should be...

But I was impressed by Gutherie playing a song on a fretted guitar, on a fretless guitar- perfectly - that's NOT easy.
He claims to be an amateur on fretless... But he does it amazingly well.

But no fretless with Aristocrats.

He claims to be an amateur on fretless... But he does it amazingly well.

But no fretless with Aristocrats.
Is there really anybody who has really mastered the 6-string fretless...I know my Vigier lays ignored in the guitar closet....
bumblefoot is the only one who comes to mind....Dweezil dabbles in it as well..obviously Guthrie can do it all.

Is there really anybody who has really mastered the 6-string fretless...I know my Vigier lays ignored in the guitar closet....
bumblefoot is the only one who comes to mind....Dweezil dabbles in it as well..obviously Guthrie can do it all.
Check out the band Consider the Source...

I considered buying one but the price of the Vigier is kinda high just for "experimentation" :)

I couldn't really see him fitting in with Dream Theater, he's way too fun / whimsical of a player.

I should be going to the Aristocrats show this Sunday assuming I make it back from my weekend hike in time!

I’m pretty sure Adrian Belew played a fretless guitar on King Crimson’s Three of a Perfect Pair.

Yes. Didn't know their songs. Ok band. Played with backing tracks which wasn't awesome.
When I saw them you could occasionally here a backing part here and there. Not enough to notice, mostly.

I think Travis also did a bunch of things using his guitar synth and a harmonizer.

I didn't know the material, either. They were not bad... But as soon as The Aristocrats hit the stage, there is just a huge disparity that is so apparent.

Kind of feel sorry for anyone that opens for them :)

I got to see them on the last tour. They had Travis Larson opening on that tour as well. I got to talk to him a little after their set...very nice guy. You can tell Steve Morse was a huge influence on his style. Oh, and The Aristocrats were pretty good, too!!;)

I got to see them on the last tour. They had Travis Larson opening on that tour as well. I got to talk to him a little after their set...very nice guy. You can tell Steve Morse was a huge influence on his style. Oh, and The Aristocrats were pretty good, too!!;)
Yeah - I definitely noticed a Steve Morse influence as well.

Ok so that show was awesome. It was kind of like watching a few guys jamming in their garage over beers, except that they are all ridiculously good players. The casual vibe was really nice, and there was lots of banter and back and forth chatter with the audience. They even took a request!

Back
Top Bottom