Gibson...what is going on?

I've been Jonesin' for a single-cut LP style guitar for a while and almost bought a Gibson a couple weeks ago. This whole fiasco got me researching alternatives. So far I've found:
Nik Huber Orca
Collings City Limits
PRS McCarty 594

Any other suggestions?

I have a double cut 594. The 594 is the first non-Gibson I’ve ever played that satisfied the Les Paul thing for me. I’ve played several of them at this point and they all have head the same affect. The neck feels right and the tone is all there. I almost bought a single cut but my PRS pusher sent me a pic of a solid black double cut that was available from the factory so I bit. I have not had a chance to play any of the wood library runs that use non-traditional woods (in terms of a Les Paul) so I’m not sure how much those capture the LP vibe.

Actually, there is another guitar that crushes the Les Paul thing and that’s the LP style guitars by Gil Yaron. Destroy all Guitars is near me and they carry Yarons so I’ve been lucky to play several. Cliff Cultreri is the owner of DAG - he helped put Vai and Satch on the map. I highly recommend giving him a call. They also carry a bunch of other boutique brands that might be of interest as well.

https://www.destroyallguitars.com/guitars

I ended up getting this:
qx97bdyxjbqgxs7cnx3f.jpg

Whoops. My post was too late. That’s a killer Private Stock 594.

What is with the strange halting speech ?!? LOL Is the Que Card guy too slow?
"We are dedicated to protecting our name... brands. And the then film... industry..."

Some irony in the video:
1. The ES-335 looks to have cracks in the finish below left of the neck pickup.
2. The diamond inlay on the LP has poor workmanship.
3. The truss rod cover on the LP is all botched looking.

Just like when you go to there website and browse their guitars there are numerous flaws visible. You'd think they'd at least cherry pick the best instruments for the photos. Or maybe they did:eek:
Truth in advertising? :)

It's funny how this post started with Gibson complaining about brand infringement and then our fearless leader here buys a boutique les paul. :)

Last edited:
A few years ago when I finally had the money to buy my dream guitar, a Gibson LP Custom, I tried several Gibson LPs.
In the end I bought an ESP Eclipse FT. Cheaper, lighter, better craftsmanship ... never regreted my decision.

I really hoped Gibson would turn things around. But it sure doesn't look that way.

Going after the knockoffs is just...stupid. Make a better guitar and put them out of business. Period. Throwing lawsuits at people who make better guitars than you do is...petty.

But I will have to say, when you are lucky to get a great Gibby LP (yes, a rare occurrence,) it's love. And a lifer.

Back
Top Bottom