FC-12 BUG: Expression Pedal Lag for Large Presets

PhillAnselmo

Inspired
Hi,
i'm currently running an FC12 (FW 1.06) with an Axe 3 (FW 5.08). As soon as the preset size reaches around 70-80% of CPU usage, the expression pedal (EV2) has a large lag. After an AxeFx restart, this lag is lasting for a few minutes and then it is working without a large lag. It seems like Axe3+FC12 is transmitting some stuff that prevents the expression pedal to work properly. I gave G66 Support a call and they could reproduce this behaviour.

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

Certain functions are de-prioritized when the CPU load gets high.

80% is considered high on the Axe Fx III.

Additionally, the Axe Fx III does some "extra" work on right after startup that can take a little time to complete. During that time, the same kind of de-prioritization can happen.

It is a bit sad, that this behavior happens with fc12, since i had no problems with the mfc. So the oldie works bette than the new version ;-)

It sounds like a bug
If you reduce cpu or just make a blank preset w wah amp cab delay does it still do it

Are you using dual amps. Global blocks etc ?

What if you plug direct to the axe exp jacks without fc12

As a workaround i reduced cpu load <65% and then everything works perfectly. No global blocks or dual amps, just a larger preset with a few effects. The problem does not occur using the exp jacks of the axe directly.

It is a bit sad, that this behavior happens with fc12, since i had no problems with the mfc. So the oldie works bette than the new version ;-)
This isn't the FC-12, it's the Axe Fx III.

And FYI, the same lag happens on the Axe Fx II with MFC (or any other Midi controller) when the CPU is too high.

It sounds like a bug
If you reduce cpu or just make a blank preset w wah amp cab delay does it still do it

Are you using dual amps. Global blocks etc ?

What if you plug direct to the axe exp jacks without fc12
It's related to Axe Fx startup activities as mentioned above. It's not a bug.

As a workaround i reduced cpu load <65% and then everything works perfectly. No global blocks or dual amps, just a larger preset with a few effects. The problem does not occur using the exp jacks of the axe directly.
Why not just wait a couple minutes until things work without lag? How often do you turn on the Axe Fx and immediately need to use controllers?

Why not just wait a couple minutes until things work without lag? How often do you turn on the Axe Fx and immediately need to use controllers?

Sorry i though he meant it was continous that there was a lag not just on startup
It is interesting though if he is using the same CPU heavey preset but plugs into the axe exp jack it does not happen
That kind of rules up the CPU load being the issue does it not ?

My main preset is around 80% with no lag. Needing to be under 65% seems a drastic requirement I haven’t experienced.

Is this only on startup?

Sorry i though he meant it was continous that there was a lag not just on startup
It is interesting though if he is using the same CPU heavey preset but plugs into the axe exp jack it does not happen
That kind of rules up the CPU load being the issue does it not ?
I'm not sure it does.

The FC-12 is external and is (probably) using midi for the expression pedals and switches, while the onboard jacks are (probably) not. Since it's midi that is de-prioritized, that would explain the difference...

Of course, that's a guess on my part ;)

To reduce boot time some of the boot tasks (copying presets and cabs from slow FLASH memory to fast DDR memory) are done in the background. This takes a couple minutes to complete and reduces CPU power available to servicing other low-priority tasks. Once the tasks are completed any lag will go away.

The alternative is a longer boot time.

To reduce boot time some of the boot tasks (copying presets and cabs from slow FLASH memory to fast DDR memory) are done in the background. This takes a couple minutes to complete and reduces CPU power available to servicing other low-priority tasks. Once the tasks are completed any lag will go away.

The alternative is a longer boot time.
Thx for clarification. I think it is all about expectation; as soon as the boot time is over i would expect the units functionallity to be complete. It would be nice to get at least some feedback from the unit when it is ready. Otherwise unexpected baviour confuses users like me. Especially as the time when you can start to use the expression pedal is unclear.

Thx for clarification. I think it is all about expectation; as soon as the boot time is over i would expect the units functionallity to be complete. It would be nice to get at least some feedback from the unit when it is ready. Otherwise unexpected baviour confuses users like me. Especially as the time when you can start to use the expression pedal is unclear.
It’s about one minute for me, a bit longer on very full presets.

I understand that it would “make sense” for the functionality to be full when the boot screen is done, but I also appreciate being able to use the interface earlier than it needs to for absolutely done loading.

I’d like it to stay the same.

I understand that it would “make sense” for the functionality to be full when the boot screen is done, but I also appreciate being able to use the interface earlier than it needs to for absolutely done loading.

+1. Those of us who went through the early Axe-Fx III beta testing are grateful for the quicker boot time, because we know what the other option is like. :)

Sounds like this would only be an issue for folks that do all eggs in one basket setups. I have a few high CPU presets but I don't generally boot up on them so would never see this behavior. I think the forum should have a section on how to think outside of your comfort zone. How to set up presets with scenes and turn FX on and off via scenes instead of trying to recreate a 1980 12 foot long pedal board.

It’s about one minute for me, a bit longer on very full presets.

I like to stay it that way aswell, but some indicator would perfectly make sense.

Back
Top Bottom