Gibson...what is going on?

Does This Design Look Familar?

APP%20ORIGINAL_23_900.jpg

http://owappleton.com

Reactions: ESW
Might I remind you that all this talking about Gibson is also considered infringement? In fact, if your name is Gibson you were born infringing. Same thing if your name is Wood (Gibson guitars are made out of wood). Actually, If you play guitar, you're technically infringing. Lawsuits for each and every one of you are forthcoming.

I'm talking about Gibson, so I'm infringing. I'm suing myself for this reason.

Some irony in the video:
1. The ES-335 looks to have cracks in the finish below left of the neck pickup.
2. The diamond inlay on the LP has poor workmanship.
3. The truss rod cover on the LP is all botched looking.

Just like when you go to there website and browse their guitars there are numerous flaws visible. You'd think they'd at least cherry pick the best instruments for the photos. Or maybe they did:eek:

Some irony in the video:

Just like when you go to there website and browse their guitars there are numerous flaws visible. You'd think they'd at least cherry pick the best instruments for the photos. Or maybe they did:eek:
Maybe the flaw are how we're supposed to know they're a genuine Gibson?

Some irony in the video:

I noticed the same thing and had the same thoughts!

People were wondering how Gibson was going to correct course. This confirms my worst concerns. Senior leadership is so out of touch they don’t even know how out of touch they really are. Gibson can’t be saved from themselves. As goes the leadership so goes the company. I feel bad for the employees. They cannot pick their leadership. They can only watch as the buffoons run the once great company into the ground. The new CEO is as clueless as Henry was. Sad.

Well, here is what I think about all this G***** blowout:

-EDIT-

As I was typing my rant, I received a Cease & Desist letter from a Law Firm based in USA. Apparently, covering their client's brand name with asterisks is not enough to avoid copyright infringement. Good news, they're willing to work this out with me so I can have and authentic posting experience on internet-based forums.

The thing is, “Play Authentic” could be a great marketing slogan if used correctly. Why buy a knockoff when Gibson is better than ever? It could be a great way to say Gibson is back. Alas no....

Two good videos explaining a lot behind these lawsuits.

(First 10 minutes of this one)

And this one.

I'm not a lawyer, but I don't think Gibson has strong cases here.

Hoping this blunder puts Gibson out of business and my Les Paul's value goes up years for now. I'll never buy another Gibson out of principle...unless I find a good deal on an explorer or Flying V. :cool:

Was told as kid by an associate at one of the then large Chicago Music store's that Gibson's are like Ford's, in that every once in awhile you can find a good one. Turned out to be solid advice. Had a number of Gibson's over the years and have still been searching for that perfect Les Paul, and had hoped that once Henry was gone they would turn the corner, but clearly that's not going to happen. Sad to see an American Icon go this route. But hey, we still got PRS!

I hate to be shallow... But I'm shallow. Has Mark Agnesi always dressed like that or are we witnessing an in progress midlife crisis?

I'd love it if Fender came out with a video along the lines of "Play Whatever the F@*k You Want".

Has Fender ever tried to sue any of the many companies that have copied Fender designs? There are countless strat and tele copies out there. Fender doesn’t seem to think it’s a big deal.

This entire fiasco is hilarious as long as you’re not Gibson or Mark Agnesi. Or a boutique guitar company.

Leon's got a vid too

It is as Leon said, Gibson is a bunch of corporate suits and they just want to make money by selling you something. Nothing more, nothing less. And a corporation that has reached the point in its existence where they've totally disappeared up their own corporate ass, and where the point is no longer to sell a good product to make money, but to just make money. Where there is a total disconnect between the guys doing the actual work, and the guys shuffling paper. Blue collar vs. white collar. There is no passion to make a good product and good craftsmen and people who care are just considered something that costs money, rather then assets. Just like Disney with Star Wars.

As a result, like any corporate bureaucracy, their answer to Gibson's bad reputation is not to deliver better product, but to hire better marketing people. Which makes sense in a way because bureaucrats deal with hot air, so to them anyone who can sell hot air makes way more sense then someone who is actually advocating to make a good product. Which is the one thing corporate bureaucrats do not deal with.

If Gibson once built a car with 4 wheels and a seat they’d probably claim every other automaker is ripping them off to this day....

Maybe Agnesi can get a job as the new White House press secretary? Seems he will go on camera saving anything they tell him lol

This is the job of ALL press secretaries. Doesn't matter if its the White House or Amnesty International. Anyone who has the words press secretary or public relations manages in their job title is a professional paid liar.

I don’t think anyone has bought a Dean guitar and thought they were getting a Gibson.

Full on copies designed to defraud people should be run out of town, though.

Exactly. If I buy a Les Paul from Dean, or PRS, or Vintage, or whatever, I know I'm not getting a Gibson Les Paul. They're not trying to scam me. A Chibson on the other hand is an attempt at scamming. Either by the seller or knowingly by the buyer.

Has Fender ever tried to sue any of the many companies that have copied Fender designs? There are countless strat and tele copies out there. Fender doesn’t seem to think it’s a big deal.

I reckon on the biggest differences is that Fender builds guitar for all market segments. You can get them dirt cheap, or custom shop expensive. On average though the basic American made Fender guitar is about $1K cheaper then Gibson's and if you really want a Fender guitar at the price of Gibson (as in $2.6K or up) you basically are getting into Fender Custom Shop territory. And Custom Shop quality.

There is one other critical difference though between Fender and Gibson. Gibson relies heavily on Boomers for their sales, a market that while having lots of capital, is set to shrink dramatically in the future. Fender has consistently gone out of its way to tap into new generations. As such they are better placed to survive the retirement from active music sales and playing of the Boomers then Gibson will. And since Gibson is behind Fender in this regard, and kinda up shit creek economically already it would seem that just like the music recording industry they now find going to legal war preferable to changing their economic business model.

Back
Top Bottom