Third-Party MIDI Spec

64 is actually a status byte, not necessarily an error. The wiki mentions that if the byte after the command is 0, then it’s probably a success message. It’s just the other status codes that aren’t documented.

Does anyone know how to activate one of the control switches (CS1-6) ? If guessing the effect ID is 2. But how do I tell the axe which one of six I want turned on or off ?

Does anyone know how to activate one of the control switches (CS1-6) ? If guessing the effect ID is 2. But how do I tell the axe which one of six I want turned on or off ?
How have you “guessed” it’s effect ID is 2? I’m not saying your wrong, but unless you know that, and know the interface supports it, then it’s not gonna work.

How have you “guessed” it’s effect ID is 2? I’m not saying your wrong, but unless you know that, and know the interface supports it, then it’s not gonna work.

I'm not sure, the midi spec lists ID 2 as "Control" . It's not assignable in the midi menu on the axe, but the FC is able to control it. So there might be a sysex message for this.

I'm not sure, the midi spec lists ID 2 as "Control" . It's not assignable in the midi menu on the axe, but the FC is able to control it. So there might be a sysex message for this.
The FC doesn’t use the third party midi interface. Likely even if the effectid was correct, that it wouldn’t work.

What I mean is there are other definitions in that listing that also aren't available for use... e.g. ID_MIDIBLOCK, ID_FOOTCONTROLLER and ID_PRESET_FC... none of these have any meaning in the 3rd party interface.

You are correct that ID_CONTROL = 2 is in the list, but that means nothing unless you know it means "control switch" AND its supported in the 3rd party interface.

Last edited:
The FC doesn’t use the third party midi interface. Likely even if the effectid was correct, that it wouldn’t work.

What I mean is there are other definitions in that listing that also aren't available for use... e.g. ID_MIDIBLOCK, ID_FOOTCONTROLLER and ID_PRESET_FC... none of these have any meaning in the 3rd party interface.

You are correct that ID_CONTROL = 2 is in the list, but that means nothing unless you know it means "control switch" AND its supported in the 3rd party interface.
Let me re-word it :
Is it possible to enable 3rd party MIDI support for the control switches ?

Please add the command for Looper Overdub to the specification. It is currently missing.

Why do you think it's missing?
Because it is?

Code:
Set and or gets the Looper states.
Message format:
F0 00 01 74 10 0F dd cs F7.
where dd is the desired “button” to press:
0: Record
1: Play
2: Undo
3: Once
4: Reverse
5: Half-speed
to query the state set dd = 7F

Is all that's listed right now. But there's an overdub-specific command that's available that would be nice to have from third party sources.

Because it is?

Code:
Set and or gets the Looper states.
Message format:
F0 00 01 74 10 0F dd cs F7.
where dd is the desired “button” to press:
0: Record
1: Play
2: Undo
3: Once
4: Reverse
5: Half-speed
to query the state set dd = 7F

Is all that's listed right now. But there's an overdub-specific command that's available that would be nice to have from third party sources.
no the overdub is actioned by a repeat "record" when playback.

no the overdub is actioned by a repeat "record" when playback.
You can trigger an overdub with a repeated record, but there's an overdub command with more specific behavior that's available and not part of the spec.

Edit: actually, I may not be correct here. @yek what made you think this was more than just a repeated Record command? I thought it was a separate, mappable, call but I can't find it in the hardware now. It's not an assignable function for an FC either.

Exactly. 2nd Press Record just doesn’t behave the same. There’s a dedicated Overdub command in the III. Just look at the hardware UI.

Exactly. 2nd Press Record just doesn’t behave the same. There’s a dedicated Overdub command in the III. Just look at the hardware UI.
I guess the question is more, does the Overdub button in the looper block (which seems to behave better than a second record press) do anything different from than what you get when you send two record messages? I feel like the answer is yes here, but only @FractalAudio would know for certain.

Somehow the Axe-Fx sends out a message after 2nd-pressing Record that confuses the MIDI controller. Even with 2nd Press set to Stop. Have you tried this?

Somehow the Axe-Fx sends out a message after 2nd-pressing Record that confuses the MIDI controller. Even with 2nd Press set to Stop. Have you tried this?
Doesn’t confuse mine.

And there isn’t an overdub control on the front panel hardware...?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 22
Back
Top Bottom