Help with setting up preset from “Master of puppets”

Exitetard

Inspired
im trying to replicate james hetfields setup for master of puppets i ran across this information and not sure how to set it up like this ive never done it or heard of it being done.

"For Master of Puppets both James and Kirk started using Mesa Boogie amps. They were both playing through Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ slaved into moded 100W Marshall JCM800s used on the previous album"

ive found the amp head he used (marshall) and a mesa one but not the mark IIc+ he also used a jc 120. my question is how do i set up a master/slave situation with shunts and amps? i know how to run them paralell but not as master/slave.

If memory serves me right slaved usually means effects loop out of the main amp into the effects return of the slaved amp. Which would mean you'd bypass the preamp section of the Marshalls but still use their power amp section.

Yes - preamp from Mesa IIC++ into the Marshall poweramp on MOP is what I’ve heard too. You cannot re-create this exactly as preamp and poweramp modelling cannot be separated in Axe as far as I know. Best bet would be to use the USA IIC++ amp Model and then alter the poweramp tab to try to replicate the Marshall power amp. However you should probably be able to come quite close only with the IIC++ model as it is. For the cleans use the Jazz 120 model.

Yeah I guess I could just use two patches. I not sure how to get fx loops to work anyhow.

So it would be fx loop - amp - cab-

Have tried but the examples I have are totally different with two rows of shunts

couldn't you just use a marshall amp model and then change the preamp section to a mark style preamp?
Not certain I’ve never tried to make a patch using a bands exact gear. It’s a good idea. Don’t see why it couldn’t work only technically I believe it would be reversed -power amp from the marshall and pre from the JC 120 now I’m confused. :p

No you have to use the marshall as the amp model because you can't change the poweramp but you can change the preamp. Honestly you should just try to tonematch it.

I thought tonatching was for matching real world amps? From the tutorials I’ve watched it shows them using the front panel. I’ve only owned this axe for about three weeks everyone has suggested I not mess with it till I get down a lot more

I thought tonatching was for matching real world amps? From the tutorials I’ve watched it shows them using the front panel. I’ve only owned this axe for about three weeks everyone has suggested I not mess with it till I get down a lot more
No you can tonematch from tracks you play on your computer! Look up some tutorials on YouTube for how to do it.

Well I figured if the master/slave thing wasn’t that complex it would be easier than tone matching. Guys on the forums were saying it’s pretty easy to screw up tone match.

Does it work with just like a YouTube audio clip cause I don’t have any software to isolate guitar frequencies only

Well I figured if the master/slave thing wasn’t that complex it would be easier than tone matching. Guys on the forums were saying it’s pretty easy to screw up tone match.

Does it work with just like a YouTube audio clip cause I don’t have any software to isolate guitar frequencies only
Yeah I've used it with youtube before. You can only do it with guitar only tracks though. There's a guitar only track on youtube for master of puppets. Just look up the directions for how to tonematch.

ive tried either i'm doing something wrong or the tonematch doesnt sound as good as just using shunts and blocks. i beleive metallica has always used marshall 1960 a cabs so i just replicated block by block their studio setup for master of puppets.

ive tried either i'm doing something wrong or the tonematch doesnt sound as good as just using shunts and blocks. i beleive metallica has always used marshall 1960 a cabs so i just replicated block by block their studio setup for master of puppets.
You're probably doing something wrong. Make sure you are following the directions properly.

You won't get that tone just by using the different models and IR's that seem to be as close as possible to the original setup of the puppets recording session. Most important, try different stuff in case of IR's and use your ears, compare it to the sound of the record until you are happy with the result.

It is basicly possible to use only the preamp of the USA IIC++ (instead of a drive block) into a Brit800 vor example, but I never really tried by myself using an amp block instead of a drive.
Otherwise I would only go for the IIC++ or the USA Lead Mid Gain, scoop out most of the mids and use a certain amount of presence.

Free yourself from only trying out the stuff, James used during the recording. That's almost impossible. And personally, I would not go for any kind of tonematch, because it is not necessary and will not suddenly make it sound like that.
If your result is already about 95%, what you are looking for, you can try to reach 97% or 98% by tonematching.

im trying to replicate james hetfields setup for master of puppets i ran across this information and not sure how to set it up like this ive never done it or heard of it being done.

"For Master of Puppets both James and Kirk started using Mesa Boogie amps. They were both playing through Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ slaved into moded 100W Marshall JCM800s used on the previous album"

ive found the amp head he used (marshall) and a mesa one but not the mark IIc+ he also used a jc 120. my question is how do i set up a master/slave situation with shunts and amps? i know how to run them paralell but not as master/slave.
Hi @Exitetard , Did you manage to finish the "master of Puppets" preset? I've been trying to set the IIc++ for days but I can not get anything decent.

Maybe this will help you to get there.
The video is not in english, but you can check out the Settings.
That guy made different IR's for particular songs. Those are most important to get there (I should be able to find them somewhere in my library). He offered them for free some time ago. Maybe you find a download link :)

I completely agree with Andy, and it’s not because we‘re both derivatives of Andrew.

If you’re still new with the AxeFX, I can see you causing yourself a lot of unnecessary grief by assuming you can take the IIC+ model with any 1960B IR and get the MoP tone from it. There’s a LOT of other variables in the mix, figuratively and literally. If their Marshall 4x12 was modded, how was it modded? Are the speakers the same? Even then, you’d have to find an IR that was basically shot in the same room they used, with the same mic and the same signal chain the mic had, and the mic would have to be in the exact spot they had their mics on. How broken in was the speaker they mic’d? Did they have more than one mic on that 4x12? Did they EQ the signal coming from the mic before or after it was tracked and mixed?

If even one of those variables are off, you won’t be getting the sound you’re looking for. You can try 1000 1960B IR’s and none of them can sound like the one Metallica used.

What I would do- make a preset as follows;

Input - Looper - Drive - IIC+ - Cab - Parametric EQ - Multiband Comp - Output

Keep the Drive, P-EQ and MBC Bypassed for now. The cab doesn’t matter too much yet. Load the Guitars Only mp3 or wav into your DAW as a reference track. Pick a riff from the song and record it with the looper so it’s playing over and over. Start tweaking the amp settings until you’re getting close to the ballpark. THEN go to your Cab block and start searching for a better suited IR. Since the Looper is playing the guitar part for you, all you have to do is focus on finding the right IR. You should be able to get about 85%-90% with just the Amp/Cab block. Only add in the drive/P-EQ/MBC if you need it. You might need to tighten up some low end, around 80K, which is what the MBC is for and the P-EQ is just for any fine adjustments you may feel you have to make. The Drive is just there in case you need to boost your input a tiny bit and get a little more cut from your guitar. The amount of distortion from the amp itself should be more than enough to get you where you need to be, but YMMV.

Going this route will give you a better idea of what’s going on with IR’s and how they sound wildly different from another. I could get one 1960B from York and it’ll sound entirely different than a 1960B from Ownhammer, it all depends on how they mic’d it and the signal chain leaving the mic. This will also give you a good deep dive in learning how to really tweak your presets to get what you want, instead of relying off an idea of what you want to get there.

Also, dig around the Recordings and Preset Exchange, I’m 99% sure someone already made some MoP presets. If worst comes to worst, you can always buy a pre-made preset and tweak until you’re content with it.

Back
Top Bottom