New Wave Presets?

Matt007

Inspired
Anyone have anything they’ve used live for 80s New Wave tones? Thinking clean and edge of breakup tones. We’ll be performing Simple Minds, Tears for Fears, the Cure, the Cars, etc. I have some tones off the preset exchange as reference as well. They are fine. Just wondering if there are any other tones out there that have been used in a cover band setting.

Thanks!

Something like this?

Preset: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=7057

You'll want to grab the IR 4x12 Uber V20 121 Cap for this preset. You can find that IR in Cab Pack 5: The 4x12 Collection from Fractal Audio.

Sounds something like this on the middle pickup of my JEM with, uh, really dead strings (but not quite like this because this is the same preset adapted to the III, close though):

I use a Morgan AC clean set up to jam to a few 'The Fixx' songs. Funny how I hated New Wave music back in the 80's but now I can name every artist I hear and actually enjoy the music. I don't have a specific Preset set up. The Morgan is my Y amp in my main preset. There were some really cool clean tones that came out of the 80's. The Police, The Fixx, Simple Minds, The Smiths, and Robert Plant (Robbie Blunt). Big Log is a super cool song. A couple of nights ago I went down a Robert Plant rabbit hole. I forgot how many songs he had from that era that I dismissed then because it wasn't Metallica, Van Halen or Dokken.

Very cool. I tried the preset and the cab definitely makes a big difference. I don't have that cab or cab pack and tried to recreate it, but your clips sound better. I’m going to look for that MXR setting.

If you want it to sound faithful, this is a real challenge. Depending on what your keyboard player and other bandmates are doing, you'll need to sit your guitar pretty carefully. I'm not honestly sure anyone else's presets will translate to your band. Lack of attention to this detail is why so many "80s" bands sound so bad to me. Many tones in the vein you're describing will have been recorded with pedals in front of an amp. Don't make things too pristine.

Very cool. I tried the preset and the cab definitely makes a big difference. I don't have that cab or cab pack and tried to recreate it, but your clips sound better. I’m going to look for that MXR setting.

I find myself going back to the F150 1x12 Shadow Mix cab for clean stuff. I keep trying different IRs and sometimes want to use my 4x12 IR that I use in my gain scene so that the scene switching has less lag but the factory cab 150 sounds so crisp.

This reminded me: there used to a factory preset called In A Fixx or something like that. It did a perfect MXR Chorus and delay sound for covering One Thing Leads to Another.

I'll bet "Stand or Fall" would be a perfect song for that set up. It's got some great ambience. This brings me back to my middle school days when MTV first came out. I'd spend hours watching it and doodling along. I had a Crate solid state and a Heavy Metal pedal. And I could never figure out why the scooped sound never sounded good cranked up loud...lol.

If you want it to sound faithful, this is a real challenge. Depending on what your keyboard player and other bandmates are doing, you'll need to sit your guitar pretty carefully. I'm not honestly sure anyone else's presets will translate to your band. Lack of attention to this detail is why so many "80s" bands sound so bad to me. Many tones in the vein you're describing will have been recorded with pedals in front of an amp. Don't make things too pristine.
This. Don't make it to pristine. @iaresee : I really like the tone you shared, but try adding Just a touch more gain to it, and see how it sits in the mix.

Funny how I hated New Wave music back in the 80's but now I can name every artist I hear and actually enjoy the music.
Funny, I was just the opposite... I loved New Wave music but not all the hair bands. Now I dig them too.

Not into New Wave so much, then? :)
Dead Core, more like it. :D

One more time for you, Rex. This time it was the Silver Sky feeding a Micro Boost > Super Verb Vibrato model. The AMP+CAB settings came from @austinbuddy's naked preset back.

On the back end there's a too much triangle chorus and a 2290 delay doing that dotted eight thing.

Huge with hair and a wave?

Dead Core, more like it. :D

One more time for you, Rex. This time it was the Silver Sky feeding a Micro Boost > Super Verb Vibrato model. The AMP+CAB settings came from @austinbuddy's naked preset back.

On the back end there's a too much triangle chorus and a 2290 delay doing that dotted eight thing.

Huge with hair and a wave?

Ooh. You’ve got something there. For my taste, I’d shave just a bit of the hair, but leave most of it. But that’s being picky. In a mix, this tone would sound clean and spanky and just right.

Ooh. You’ve got something there. For my taste, I’d shave just a bit of the hair, but leave most of it. But that’s being picky. In a mix, this tone would sound clean and spanky and just right.
It's too hairy, yea. But it's fun to play that way. :D

Back
Top Bottom