Short blip of noise when switching scenes

Joe Bfstplk

Axe-Master
Anyone else get this? Blip is worse when playing while switching.

Just discovered this while trying out building a preset with scenes, in prep for building my first per-song patch (as opposed to a 'pedalboard' patch).

Unit is hooked to Axe-Edit via USB. Blip occurs with scene change whether initiated through Axe-Edit or by MIDI CC from footswitch.

Will post patch after breakfast.

See attached patch. Audio sample to come.

Replaced original patch with updated one - all blocks that were global are now local.

Attachments

• HIWATT DGAC20 Blue Dog (1).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
I'm out of town so can't load your preset,

Are you by chance changing delays or amps when this happens?

Is it ANY scene change or specific ones?

The preset has a delay effect, and one of the scenes has a delay in it, but the blips happen whether switching to that particular scene or any other.

Is it a delay-related thing? Scene not quickly enough setting the input mute on the delay line?

Note that on my "pedalboard" presets, including the one this preset was copied from before modding to try scenes, the CC control of delay input does not produce any blips. Have tried a few different approaches to building this. I assume I am doing something wrong. :grimacing:

Preset, showing side-chained delay with bypass mode set to "mute in".

Screen%20Shot%202019-06-15%20at%2012.44.04%20PM.png

Using Scene Controllers 1 and 2 to switch off/on the Leslie (SC1) and switch on the Delay and Return2 Output Level boost (SC2)

Screen%20Shot%202019-06-15%20at%201.02.13%20PM.png

Filter, Comp, Drive, Flange, Chorus, Pitch, Filter, Delay, Rotary, and Reverb are all linked to global blocks, no one will be able to test that preset (they'll either get their own G1 global block, or, if they don't have a Global for that block, they'll get knobs all zeroed out)... you'll want to go through each of those blocks and chose "Unlink" at the bottom of the "GLOBAL BLOCK" menu in axe edit (should retain values from the linked block), and then export the Preset again for anyone to be able to help troubleshoot this with you.

Tried using MIDI block, but the AxeFX III does not apparently listen to the changes specified here, and only sends the messages specified here to downstream gear.

Updated preset with global effects disconnected from global.

Attachments

• HIWATT DGAC20 Blue Dog (1).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 4
Tried using MIDI block, but the AxeFX III does not apparently listen to the changes specified here, and only sends the messages specified here to downstream gear.
Yes, that's the intent of the MIDI block, it's to broadcast a MIID CC or PC value on scene change, not receive MIDI. You'll need to use the MIDI settings to map MIDI messages to Axe-FX III commands.

I have a bunch of CCs set up on this preset's parent, and they work fine with my fossil '90s FC200 MIDI footswitch.

I am trying to learn how to set up a few simultaneous FX switches as a scene change by converting a copy of a working 'pedalboard mode' preset to use scene changes, in prep for my FC number eventually coming up on the wait list.

I assume I am missing something, as I have seen Leon's vids and seen him switch scenes with delays without the blip.

I have a bunch of CCs set up on this preset's parent, and they work fine with my fossil '90s FC200 MIDI footswitch.

I am trying to learn how to set up a few simultaneous FX switches as a scene change by converting a copy of a working 'pedalboard mode' preset to use scene changes, in prep for my FC number eventually coming up on the wait list.

I assume I am missing something, as I have seen Leon's vids and seen him switch scenes with delays without the blip.
Yeah, there's a lot going on in this preset, some of which i question "why" (why the Mixer block at all, why the external controllers on the Return block's "Return Level", and "Output Level", etc) ;)

For the moment I've narrowed it down to something happening with the Looper (why is this parallel routed?), Filter, Comp, and Drive blocks, as it seems to be that removing those makes it go away. Investigating further still... will report back if I come to an "aha"

Yeah, there's a lot going on in this preset, some of which i question "why" (why the Mixer block at all, why the external controllers on the Return block's "Return Level", and "Output Level", etc) ;)

For the moment I've narrowed it down to something happening with the Looper (why is this parallel routed?), Filter, Comp, and Drive blocks, as it seems to be that removing those makes it go away. Investigating further still... will report back if I come to an "aha"

I copied a working "pedalboard mode" patch that uses external CCs from my fossil FC200 MIDI controller footswitch. I have MIDI CCs switching/adjusting just about all the blocks except the amp, cab, mixer, and send.

The Return block is being used for my volume pedal and for my 4.5dB solo boost (actually a 4.5dB rhythm cut), as it seemed to be a convenient place to put it that was after the amp/cab but before the "rack effects".

The mixer block is a remnant of the 2 amp patch it was copied from. I deleted the AC20 amp and forgot to delete the mixer block that came with it.

The looper was parallel routed for a reason I can no longer remember. I suppose it could be inline with the input and switched to "Thru" bypass mode.

Removed vestigal mixer block and put looper inline in "thru" bypass mode. Also switched to factory cab, for easier loading.

No change in blip. Punched up the delay repeats and it's definitely the delay getting a blip of audio as the scene changes.

Attachments

• HIWATT Blue Dog.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Updated layout:

Screen%20Shot%202019-06-15%20at%202.00.32%20PM.png

Delay is side-chained and is using "mute in" bypass mode, which is being controlled by the Scene controller #2 shown above a few posts ^^^^

Back
Top Bottom