Another should I sell my....

Bman

Power User
I've got an old 1973 50-watt Marshall 1987x that I've had since the early nineties before they were vintage. It is my benchmark of tone. Unfortunately it doesn't get any play. I think I'm coming up on a year and half since I've last fired it up. There's a sentimental part of me that says it's irreplaceable and a sensible part of me that would rather it see a new home where it's used and loved. I'm almost 50, and don't expect to 'need' it....ever. So maybe I've answered my own question. I figure I can get between $1,000 to $1,400 for it. It's not in tip top shape, just sounds soooo good. I was thinking I could sell that and my AX8 and almost have enough for an AXIII but there's the footswitch issue. I'm on the FM3 waitlist and I'm not a footswitch dancer, so maybe I can put the money into something else. I just hate that it gets no playing and any value I get from it won't top the sentimental value.

I'll be telling a fish story the rest of my life about the amp I used to own...

Is this a JCM800? Those sell really well.

My philosophy is that if I don't use a piece of gear, then I sell it as someone else will have use and fun with it. If you get a nice profit you could invest it in an AXE III !

PS: I sold my JCM900 combo some month ago, someone wanted it and how he has it. Those Mk II combos sound good and are amazingly light for a Marshall combo. But I didn't use it so these it goes (purchased the unit 1991).

I would pretty much say "no" just seeing the question. More often than not, I've regretted selling just about every piece of gear. Sometimes sentimental, sometimes not easy to replace, sometimes there's that friend looking for something you know you have, and then remember you sold it to some asshole on Craigslist that flaked twice, and still was $20 short when he did show.

If it isn't causing a hardship money or space wise, I'd be inclined to keep. Just fire it up occasionally, crank it, and enjoy it. Someday the fun police will take things like this away from you.

Is this a JCM800? Those sell really well.

My philosophy is that if I don't use a piece of gear, then I sell it as someone else will have use and fun with it. If you get a nice profit you could invest it in an AXE III !

PS: I sold my JCM900 combo some month ago, someone wanted it and how he has it. Those Mk II combos sound good and are amazingly light for a Marshall combo. But I didn't use it so these it goes (purchased the unit 1991).
I thought the jcm 800 came in around 1981? his is a 1973 model...

I thought the jcm 800 came in around 1981? his is a 1973 model...

Year is 1973. It's 1987 model. 50 watt Non MV JMP, 4 hole. It's even got Rosemary's signature inside. It's got some old Mullards in it that are still strong. Funny thing is I think it sounds better with ElectroHarmonix EL 34s. When they get hot it's magic. It cops Duane Allman's tone easily and does 80's metal even better with a tube screamer. I've got it paired with the cheapest cab and speakers (Crate 80watt) known to man it's a wonderful combination. The low-fi speakers break up and the cab has a thump that I can't get with anything but an old 1960 w/ old greenbacks. I tried 75watt Celestions in a 1960 cab at a local studio. The mojo wasn't there.

I love talking about it as much as I love playing it :)

I would pretty much say "no" just seeing the question. More often than not, I've regretted selling just about every piece of gear. Sometimes sentimental, sometimes not easy to replace, sometimes there's that friend looking for something you know you have, and then remember you sold it to some asshole on Craigslist that flaked twice, and still was $20 short when he did show.

If it isn't causing a hardship money or space wise, I'd be inclined to keep. Just fire it up occasionally, crank it, and enjoy it. Someday the fun police will take things like this away from you.

I totally hear what you're saying. It's not like they make these things anymore. I'm getting same tones from my AX8 (minus amp in the room sensation). I guess, a good litmus might be this: in 15 more years will hold its value. The $1500 I might get today would be spent on something that might either be sold or outdated technology. Probably not gonna be a vintage Fractal market...lol.

IMG_0201.JPG gh

.....The low-fi speakers break up and the cab has a thump that I can't get with anything but an old 1960 w/ old greenbacks. I tried 75watt Celestions in a 1960 cab at a local studio....
It is a cool amp and I agree that low fi...small voice coil 12’s are better for that sound

I'd be in a different camp than most on this. I say, if it's just collecting dust, then off it! Besides, if it isn't getting any play time because of the Axe8, then you will be AMAZED with a III! Plus, it's not like you have to give it away. Just my 2¢...;)

Unless you REALLY need the money, do not sell it.
I have my old tube rig in the basement...it barely gets used, but the days that it does, it puts a big smile on my face.

Unless you REALLY need the money, do not sell it.
I have my old tube rig in the basement...it barely gets used, but the days that it does, it puts a big smile on my face.
I agree..and what a wonderful conversation piece!

If you do decide to sell it, I would just suggest finding someone who's in love with it an appreciates it for what it does. Not some dude looking to make a buck flipping it. Those are rewarding sales, and odds are you can keep in touch and maybe buy it back later.

I'm not into getting rid of music stuff anymore. Some stuff sits for years and then one day I'll plug it in and remember why I love that amp or guitar. Once it's gone, it's gone.

I've been through this dilemma with several things. I always feel guilty owning something (especially something nice or expensive) that isn't getting used. but the couple times I've decided to sell, I've regretted it later. In my current situation, unless I "need" to sell for some reason, I keep it. Of course, income plays a huge a role too, much harder to hang onto stuff "just because" when finances were much, much tighter.

Personally, I'd keep it. The AxeFX is great, but I personally love having the option to crank tubes. Your amp is a classic and obviously has some sentimental value. That's why I keep my Peavey VTM 120 despite having a Friedman BE100 that gets the bulk of my tube amp playing. The VTM was my first "real" tube amp I bought with my own money when I was a kid back in 1993. I remember scrimping and saving from my dishwashing job to pay the pawn shop layaway off. And you know what? It's legitimately a kickass amp. It can easily do backup duties if my Friedman ever needs to go for servicing.

By contrast, I sold an EVH 5150 last weekend. Not a bad amp at all, I just wasn't playing it. I have no sentimental attachment to it, and it plus the 412 was taking up valuable studio space. So, I decided to let someone have it who would appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom