IRs...what are they and how can they help?

Hey all, bought my Ultra probably almost 10 years ago and just pulled it out of mothballs after years of not playing (got married, became a dad twice...yada, yada). Anyways, to use a cliché, me and the guys are finally gittin' the band back together. I plan to go the FRFR route as I no longer want to lug a seventy pound Mesa cabinet and an equally oppressive Mesa 50/50 power amp to gigs. I got a pair of Headrush 12s and am pretty happy with the sound...but I've heard I can get better tones out of my Ultra with IRs.

Here's my questions A) are they really that much better than the stock cab sims already in my Ultra? B) Can I still get IRs for the Ultra (I've tried some google searches, but all roads, including Axe-Change have led nowhere)? C) If I do manage to get a hold of some, how do I get them into the Ultra using Axe Edit (any tutorials you can link me to)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

When I had the ultra I dabbled with different IR's bought. I am not sure the tonal difference was worth the connecting of the midi interface and the converting of files.

I agree with paranoid. I thought the factory IRs were fine. You can always use the PEQ or GEQ after the CAB block to "fix" it. I still have my Ultra and I wouldn't hesitate to use if my II or AX8 weren't available.

First post, woo! Hi all,

I've recently purchased an Ultra, and made the move from an Amplifire where I almost exclusively used 3rd party IRs.

Probably the two biggest downsides I find with them in Axe-Edit stem from frustration; loading is longwinded, and A/B'ing IRs against one and another can easily send you running around in circles.

That said, for me, they make a pretty drastic difference although it's taken quite a bit of time to find my "go to" cabs/mics. Making presets I'll tend to start with an IR combination I'm familiar with and work around it. The RedWirez cabs I bought a while ago loaded into Axe-Edit no problem (despite taking an eternity).

First post, woo! Hi all,

I've recently purchased an Ultra, and made the move from an Amplifire where I almost exclusively used 3rd party IRs.

Probably the two biggest downsides I find with them in Axe-Edit stem from frustration; loading is longwinded, and A/B'ing IRs against one and another can easily send you running around in circles.

That said, for me, they make a pretty drastic difference although it's taken quite a bit of time to find my "go to" cabs/mics. Making presets I'll tend to start with an IR combination I'm familiar with and work around it. The RedWirez cabs I bought a while ago loaded into Axe-Edit no problem (despite taking an eternity).
That's a bit odd. You got a problem in your midi configuration i guess. An ir, wich is really small in size, takes like 4 seconds to load

That's a bit odd. You got a problem in your midi configuration i guess. An ir, wich is really small in size, takes like 4 seconds to load

I thought it was a little strange, but then put it down to Axe-Edit being a bit dated. I'll have a look at my settings later.

Back
Top Bottom