Does the quality / length of the USB cable matter?

deathsilver

Inspired
Does the quality of the USB cable matter? Should it be 2.0 or 3.0?

I am running on a new OSX system so a USB-C version would be ideal.

Any recommendation of a good cable to get would be great!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Some users have had issues and in the troubleshooting process it's discovered they were using cables over 10 feet in length. I don't believe anything definitive has been found to say the length is the root cause but using a shorter cable does remedy the issue in some cases. Was it the shorter length or a higher quality cable that fixed the issue? Or was it simply a faulty cable to begin with?

Personally, I use 10 ft. cables on both an AX8 and Axe-Fx III and choose to buy USB cables from 'reputable' sellers (pretty much shop exclusively online) and avoid the cheap ones. I have yet to run into any USB related issues.

Usb 2.0 is usually best limited to ~16 feet and
usb 3.0 ~9 feet. Any longer than that and you'll have dropouts or flat out no response. You can get an active cable and use that as an extension. My USB 2.0 cable is 15 feet and works fine for updates and axe edit.

You need a USB 2 cable. The Axe FX 3 has a USB 2 type B USB port on the back - the USB 3 variant of the same cable is a different shape and won't fit into a USB 2 type B receptacle.

You can of course plug it into a computer that supports USB 2 or 3, but you need a cable with the USB 2 type B connector on the Axe FX side.

You can find loads of USB C to USB B cables on Amazon, or wherever you shop. Here's a random example of what you need. They tend to get marked as "printer cables" for whatever reason.
Amazon product ASIN B00VKSF39O

I think you are talking about USB C which is the connector, USB 3 is a protocol, it could run over the normal USB cables. And is downwards compatible so USB 3 devices could run USB 2 protocols. And wait until you hear about USB 3.1 and even more USB protocol naming weirdness that is now happening....

needs to be 24k gold and diamond plated, otherwise you'll loose high end extension and bass response, the higher quality cables use a fancy calligraphy fonts for the 1s and 0s, the cheap cables just use Arial font, way less clarity

Least helpful response of the day! Thanks to all the others for their thoughts!

Does the quality of the USB cable matter? Should it be 2.0 or 3.0?

I am running on a new OSX system so a USB-C version would be ideal.

Any recommendation of a good cable to get would be great!

Thanks!
Yes, it does. But if you spend $1-$2, you literally paid a premium....meaning they are necessary but they are also inexpensive , like hop on the bay and order a 5 pack from China for a few bucks

Ok, for science I picked up a 25 foot cable from amazon today. So far:
Axe edit works
Fractal bot for back up works
Fractal bot for firmware update works
I guess the the internet proved me wrong. Hopefully this cable lasts, now I can wrap some slack around my rack case so if the cable snags it wont rip the usb out of my Axe fx.

Back
Top Bottom