Controlling Volume block using MFC-101

neale dunham

Experienced
Does anyone have a step by step instruction list of how to set up the Axe fx 3 and Mfc101 to control the Volume block?

I have read the Cabir.eu tutorial but unfortunately i am not a midi expert.
I have managed to get my expression pedal to control the Volume block by connecting it straight to my Axefx that part was easy, but i wanted to keep my cabling neat onstage and use the expression jack of the mfc101.

I am sure this must be possible right?

I understand that the cc numbers need to match in order for the Mfc to tell the axe what to do but the tutotrial is telling me to set external control 1 to 100% which i have done on the axe.

The confusing part for me is that when i try to set the cc number the tutorial says set to NONE.

Which settings need to be set to "NONE" ? The axe or the Mfc? or both? and how?

Also why are there numerous other controls on that list that have a value of NONE? they cant all be of this value otherwise they would all change if set to this value surely?

Very confusing, please help.

The tutorial you have posted above is for axe 2 and the walkthrough screen on his axe is completely different to mine?

Oh I didn’t see this was for the Axe3.

Regardless, the steps are the same, just slightly different screens. Instead of CTRL menu on the Axe2, use the Setup>Midi menu on the 3.

It looks as though the axe fx 2 I/O has parameters to change the values of external control values and it also lists all of the cc values.

In Axe 3 i have 16 Ext controls that can be set either 0 or 100% so i cannot follow the tutorial as the instructions do not match?

I think you're confusing the External Control Init Values with the MIDI CC values of the External Controllers.

MIDI can be a complex topic. Obviously you're struggling. You would be far better off with using an FC-6 or FC-12 controller.

Yes i probably am Yek

If only i could get an FC-12 here in the UK *sigh*

....until then i have to struggle on with this.

All i want to do is use the expression pedal to control the volume block of the Axe 3 through the expression pedals input of the MFC

Cant be that hard can it??

It’s not hard. 3 steps:

Set the MFC XP port to CC#16
Set External Control 1 to CC#16 on the Axe
Assign Volume to External Control 1

0 vs 100 is the wrong place to set the CC#

You should watch the video.

Thanks Chris,

I did watch the video, but just could not understand where he got cc 16 from?

Everything is up and running now.

I will study the video and try to understand how i can set up things in the future hopefully without having to ask a million questions.

Thanks so much for the support.

Thanks Yek,

Do you happen to use a Fryette Powerstation? I think we started a conversation the other day but the thread was moved?

Thanks Chris,

I did watch the video, but just could not understand where he got cc 16 from?

Everything is up and running now.

I will study the video and try to understand how i can set up things in the future hopefully without having to ask a million questions.

Thanks so much for the support.
He is me.

The Axe2 predefined the Controller CC# list. The Axe3 didn’t because there are so many more options. So people tend to stick with what the Axe2 used on the Axe3 in general. You can use any CC# but both sides just have to match.

You got confused early on with this due to the 0 vs 100% parameter which isn’t what you needed at the time. CC#s range from 0 to 127, not a percent.

The fact that you made the video tutorial should be conducive to answering my next question...
How did you come to the conclusion that cc number 16 controls volume?
Where did u get that information from?
Because for example if I want to set up a Wah block I presume I follow the same procedure but where do I find the CC list?
Nice vid by the way!

Look in the manual for the Axe-Fx II and you’ll find a list of MIDI CC commands. Volume defaults to CC 16.

However, the Axe-Fx III doesn’t use pre-configured CCs anymore. You can choose whatever CC you want in MIDI/Remote > Other, but don’t forget to set the MFC to the same CC.

The fact that you made the video tutorial should be conducive to answering my next question...
How did you come to the conclusion that cc number 16 controls volume?
Where did u get that information from?
Because for example if I want to set up a Wah block I presume I follow the same procedure but where do I find the CC list?
Nice vid by the way!
I answered in my previous post.
He is me.

The Axe2 predefined the Controller CC# list. The Axe3 didn’t because there are so many more options. So people tend to stick with what the Axe2 used on the Axe3 in general. You can use any CC# but both sides just have to match.

You got confused early on with this due to the 0 vs 100% parameter which isn’t what you needed at the time. CC#s range from 0 to 127, not a percent.

Is there a scenario whereby I can use both a volume block modifier and a Wah modifier within the same preset or even within the same scene? obviously I don't want them both on at the same time controlled by the one pedal.

I am guessing I need two pedals right? There's no way of switching between the two with a single pedal is there?

Is there a scenario whereby I can use both a volume block modifier and a Wah modifier within the same preset or even within the same scene? obviously I don't want them both on at the same time controlled by the one pedal.

I am guessing I need two pedals right? There's no way of switching between the two with a single pedal is there?
You can use 1 pedal for different block controls with scenes. Here is a video that shows one way to do it. You can also use the Mux block to accomplish the same thing.
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...ntrolling-7-different-pedal-functions.146716/

So,
I managed to figure out how to control parameters such as Wah and Volume using an expression pedal.
There is one drawback of this particular setup in my opinion......
A conventional Wah pedal has an activation switch and my expression pedal does not....
How do I turn off the Wah without changing scenes or presets??

So,
I managed to figure out how to control parameters such as Wah and Volume using an expression pedal.
There is one drawback of this particular setup in my opinion......
A conventional Wah pedal has an activation switch and my expression pedal does not....
How do I turn off the Wah without changing scenes or presets??
Auto-Engage in the Modifier menu.

check out the Axe-Fx owner's manual for an explanation.

Back
Top Bottom