Is that an..... ULTRA? (Adrian Belew)

Oh he still have not switched to a II/III which was the plan. Suspect his patches sound so specific so it's tough to move them over.

And yes, if you have a chance, please visit the Adrian Belew Power Trio shows.

Adrian and I programmed that Axe-Fx over the course of several very fun and intense days at his house in 2010*, with some revisitation at the Three of a Perfect Pair camp in 2012. He told me recently that it is "the most significant processor" he's ever owned over his entire career, and thanked me generously for the work we'd done all those years ago. He loves the Axe-Fx III too, but has a special bond with that older unit. We plan to get together again. Paving the next ten years? We'll see! (Come to think of it, I never did quite recreate our signature "Dead 9V" preset. That might be a cool project if I can get to his camp later this summer. Anyone else going?)

* Somewhere I have some photos of those days. I'll look!

Last edited:
Only this one that was on FB seems to survive:
Monosnap 2019-06-03 15-35-17.jpg

The picture that I was looking for is him serving me a glass of beer. It must have been 64 oz. The mug was as large as my head. I didn't know what to do with it. Also, one of us at his Rhino-mobile, an old chevy truck.

Actually, I probably wouldn't mind gigging the Ultra v11 today.

.... If the II and III hadn't been released.

Actually, I probably wouldn't mind gigging the Ultra v11 today.

.... If the II and III hadn't been released.
absolutely!

gear doesn't sound bad because other gear comes out. if it was good for you then, it is good now. i want an ultra!

I sold my Ultra to one of my guitar students. It still sounds great. I recorded the entire Supernal Endgame album, Touch the Sky Volume II with my Ultra.

All this reminds me that I'll have to get rid of my ridiculously old Les Paul. The damn thing is 60 years old now and it's burst colour has faded away to all yellowish - but probably ok for a kid to learn on. Gibson have lovely new shiny 2019 models out.

Reactions: ESW
I have an XL and just ordered a III last week. But I still use my Ultra live and no way am I going to sell it. Presets changes are instant and honestly I think there are a few presets that have yet to be surpassed.

Back
Top Bottom