I need SMALL and LIGHT PA speakers & monitors for my jazz band

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
I need suggestions. I have a Prius. I know. Leave me alone. LOL. So I need speakers that don't take up too much room. I already have two guitars. maybe three, to bring, bag with AX8 and 2 ex-pedals, two Xitone cabs, stool, guitar stands, music stand. I've been using two old Peavy 115H speakers, one useless wedge monitor which needs to be replaced. Not loud enough. And an old 8 channel Carvin RX800.

Small venues. 4-5 piece band. Not everything will always go in the mixer. Sometimes more pieces, like vocalists, horn players. I use Ableton Live sometimes too. We're not loud by R&R standards. I will probably put the AX8 in just for a little balance but most of my guitar will come from the two XiTones on stage pointing to the audience. I just bought the QSC TouchMix 16. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TouchMix16--qsc-touchmix-16-touchscreen-digital-mixer

Here's what I'm thinking. Bose L1 model II and B2 sub. The problem is it's designed for acoustic singer/songwriter vibe, not so much a whole and. But it can go BEHIND the band making having to bring separate monitors unnecessary. They're really expensive. And they're designed to go with their OWN mixer, which is too small for my needs. I can plug them into my board. I'm assuming.

They also have the compact system. I'm hoping I can get two and use them behind the band. Maybe I'd need a sub with them? Does anyone have experience with these? I keep getting contrary information, like they're the "GREATEST thing I've ever heard", most from single guitar player/singers, to "they're complete crap" or "not suited for you."

The other option I'm thinking about is a pair of the powered QSC K10.2. https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K10.2--qsc-k10.2-2000w-10-inch-powered-speaker. This option means I need to also drag along two powered wedge.

I use 2 CLR’s and a sub. Really moves some air and feels like a band. Loud enough for a room of 3 or 400.

Of course I’m a rocker. I play 3 chords to 1000 people instead of a jazzer that plays 1000 chords in front of 3 people.

Hey, I graduated from Berklee. I earned the right to tell that joke!

If you are looking at the Bose, consider switching to the Evolve 50's instead. These mini-line arrays are just the bomb in comparison. I have 3 of them. Super lightweight and easy to manage. Check out the reviews comparing them, you won't be disappointed.

If you are looking at the Bose, consider switching to the Evolve 50's instead. These mini-line arrays are just the bomb in comparison. I have 3 of them. Super lightweight and easy to manage. Check out the reviews comparing them, you won't be disappointed.
Wow. Thanks. These look totally legit.

No on the Bose. I know someone who has them. They sound nice as listening speakers, but do not hold up as well as speakers such as Yamaha's DXR line in regards to live music reproduction. Most limiting factor with the Bose will be separate of instruments at any high volume.
If you are going to put any Bass or Kick through your tops, then I'd recommend the Yamaha DXR15 (they're currently on discount because Yamaha just came out with a Mark2 version.
If you aren't going to put Bass or Kick, then Yamaha DXR10s would do nicely.

If you want to up your game Yamaha DSR112, and again up your game (if you have funds) Yamaha DZR10 or 12.

Another option would be any of the Yamaha 10's or 12's with a nice little 15" sub. Plenty of options out there for that (RCF, JBL PRX, Yamaha)

If you aren't going to put Bass or Kick, then Yamaha DXR10s would do nicely.

If you want to up your game Yamaha DSR112, and again up your game (if you have funds) Yamaha DZR10 or 12.
Good speakers, but I think only the DXR10 falls into the "light" category.

Good speakers, but I think only the DXR10 falls into the "light" category.
Agreed. The 15's aren't 'too' heavy (still in the plastic box category).

But yeah, DSR and DZR are wood boxes.

I recently picked up an RCF EVOX J8 system for my acoustic gigs. The clarity and coverage obtained with just one of these is really good. I also use it for practice. We run an electronic drum kit and bass direct into. It would be perfect for a small venue of around 100 people. The 120 degree angle of the top cab provides nice even coverage.

For my main band I run all QSC stuff. I have 4 x KW181, 2 x KW153, 2 x KW122, 2 x KW10. I can say with confidence that the EVOX system would be a better fit for a smaller venue.

I think I would consider the Bose or copycats.
Have you considered the Matrix Neolight system? It's the best bang for the Kg, I think.

My band uses a pair of the RCF EVOX J8 speakers. I have previously owned a pair of the Bose L1s. It’s no contest at all. The RCFs sound way better. Everyone is responsible for their own monitor. I bring a CLR or an RCF ART708 Mk IV - the 708 is super light and can get crazy loud - you could easily use these as mains as well.

Back
Top Bottom