Michael Dolce's Ping-Pong trick

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
In this thread Michael Dolce (@Dolcegit ) mentions a stereo / doubling trick.

He's uses a Ping-Pong delay on a very fast setting with dual amps to get a wide stereo field and a doubler effect.

It might be similar to the Micro-Delay approach, but I thought I'd share it.

EDIT: Michael provides details in the video below.

Michael did not give details but I set it up as described below. This creates a doubler effect, while avoiding comb filtering.
  • Split the signal into two rows
  • Use different amps in each row, and hard-pan their Balance controls
  • Merge the rows
  • Cab block: set to Stereo, use different IRs, hard-panned
  • Use a Ping-Pong delay, Mix: [edit: 100%], Time: 20 ms, Feedback: 0 (single repeat)

Last edited:
t might be similar to the Micro-Delay approach, but I thought I'd share it.
You've got a third signal with this approach: the center, undelayed signal. If he'd set the delay mix to 100% it'd be exactly the same.

Delay mix at 100% would cause a latency of 20ms on one and 40ms on the other side, no?
Why not just delay one side 20ms?

Delay mix at 100% would cause a latency of 20ms on one and 40ms on the other side, no?
Why not just delay one side 20ms?

Yes, that's what I mentioned in the OP. Perhaps using a Delay block allows using a modifier, making the doubling effect more realistic.

In this thread Michael Dolce (@Dolcegit ) mentions a stereo / doubling trick.

He's uses a Ping-Pong delay on a very fast setting with dual amps to get a wide stereo field and a doubler effect.

It might be similar to the Micro-Delay approach, but I thought I'd share it.

Michael did not give details but I set it up as described below. This creates a doubler effect, while avoiding comb filtering.
  • Split the signal into two rows
  • Use different amps in each row, and hard-pan their Balance controls
  • Merge the rows
  • Cab block: set to Stereo, use different IRs, hard-panned
  • Use a Ping-Pong delay, Mix: [edit: 100%], Time: 20 ms, Feedback: 0 (single repeat).
Thanks for going to the trouble of posting this thread I appreciate it.
I thought I'd do a clip demostrating the 2 amp scenario.

< ~ 30mS = Hass Effect, a common technique.

Hass pan, will travel.... ;)

The ear picks up both sides, but the grey matter between them hears the one that arrives first and decides that the sound is coming from that side, and that the later-arriving side is just ignored, basically....

Hass pan, will travel.... ;)

The ear picks up both sides, but the grey matter between them hears the one that arrives first and decides that the sound is coming from that side, and that the later-arriving side is just ignored, basically....
I'm no scientist I just go with what sounds good to my ears.I've been using this method for the past 8 years on TV playing and recording over 2500 songs and this technique works!

Back
Top Bottom