ELI5: Why do I get clipping after the amp>cab chain

So I noticed something just now while I was tweaking and I noticed that when my signal chain is amp>cab>delay I get distortion/clipping on the repeats of my delay but when switching my chain to amp>delay>cab there's no clipping/distortion on the repeats. Can someone explain this phenomena?

Yeah, meant the one on the right… thought maybe you had a lot of level boost in the cab block going into the delay block, but if it’s at 0 dB, then it wouldn’t be that. Maybe post the preset and folks can take a look.

Your preset signal is very close to clipping. You can watch that by entering the Layout (press C on Home screen) and then press A (Zoom).

That's because you're running multiple signals simultaneously. Take a look at your "parallel" effects: Multitap Delay, Pitch 1 and Pitch 2. Their Bypass Mode settings (Mute FX IN / Thru / Thru) indicate that these blocks still pass direct signal when bypassed. This means that the main signal is more or less doubled a few times.

The correct settings to use for parallel effects, in order to keep the signal level constant when engaging/bypassing blocks, are listed here: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Presets#Series_and_parallel_routing

BTW, there is no need to attach an Envelope Follower to that VOL block. Just use the Auto-Swell type in the VOL block.

Your preset signal is very close to clipping. You can watch that by entering the Layout (press C on Home screen) and then press A (Zoom).

That's because you're running multiple signals simultaneously. Take a look at your "parallel" effects: Multitap Delay, Pitch 1 and Pitch 2. Their Bypass Mode settings (Mute FX IN / Thru / Thru) indicate that these blocks still pass direct signal when bypassed. This means that the main signal is more or less doubled a few times.

The correct settings to use for parallel effects, in order to keep the signal level constant when engaging/bypassing blocks, are listed here: http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Presets#Series_and_parallel_routing

BTW, there is no need to attach an Envelope Follower to that VOL block. Just use the Auto-Swell type in the VOL block.
This comment saved my life.

Back
Top Bottom