Hum (Bad earth) at strange times

Mark Pritchard

Experienced
During daylight hours i get a 120hz hum on high gain amps and a little hum on clean amps but in the evening its dead silent! In the winter there is no hum after about 5pm once the sun goes down but in the summer i have to wait until about 9pm for it to be silent, its so annoying. It seems to get louder the closer my guitar is to my window. Another strange thing is when i plug it in a room on the opposite side of the house its silent all day everyday but unfortunately the room i have it setup is on the noisy side.
If anyone has any suggestions which could help please suggest it.
I cant seem to upload a video of this noise.

Thanks

Hi do you know what sort of appliance could give off that sort of magnetic field?
Thanks

I have the same issue as you and haven't been able to figure out why it happens at certain times and areas of my house. I've had more luck figuring out what causes constant noise.

If you or any of your neighbors have long cable TV wire runs that aren't connected to a TV can cause noise. I had the issue when I moved a TV in my house to another room. All my cables run to my basement, so I disconnected the cable TV wires that weren't being used.

Here's more info about Electromagnetic interference aka EMI and RFI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference

Do some google searching for what devices can cause EMI/RFI.

If you figure anything out, please share your info because a lot of people have issues with interference.

When driving through parts of my town, the radio emits an annoying tone in one localized area. i wonder what the people of that area are being exposed to...

I have the same issue as you and haven't been able to figure out why it happens at certain times and areas of my house. I've had more luck figuring out what causes constant noise.

If you or any of your neighbors have long cable TV wire runs that aren't connected to a TV can cause noise. I had the issue when I moved a TV in my house to another room. All my cables run to my basement, so I disconnected the cable TV wires that weren't being used.

Here's more info about Electromagnetic interference aka EMI and RFI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interference

Do some google searching for what devices can cause EMI/RFI.

If you figure anything out, please share your info because a lot of people have issues with interference.
Thanks for your reply and thanks for the link, I will do some more research. I’ve had this issue for a year now ever since I bought my AX8, it’s just so annoying, when I plug in and play late at night it’s just bliss, dead silent. That’s when I realise how annoying it is during the day.
If I find anything out or get any results, I will post on here mate.
Thanks again for your help and good luck your end.

is your AC running during those hours?
AC compressor can send a lot of noise in the Earth line
Hi mate, no we don’t need AC here in England unfortunately.
The house I live in is only 2 years old so I would hope and expect there to be nothing wrong with the wiring. Maybe it is something the neighbors are running but whether it’s summer or winter it’s only during daylight hours which is strange.

Yes there are solar panels on my roof above me actually. Ah that would make sense. I suppose there is nothing I can do about that is there?
Thanks

Do you have control over the system? If so, turn it off to see if the noise goes away. We first have to confirm this is the problem.
If it is the problem, look into contacting the manufacturer of the equipment or the installer. They might have some input on filtering system that will reduce the problem. Perhaps initiate contact with the company in that link I posted above. They seemed to have a lot of info on photovoltaic system filtering.

Do you have control over the system? If so, turn it off to see if the noise goes away. We first have to confirm this is the problem.
If it is the problem, look into contacting the manufacturer of the equipment or the installer. They might have some input on filtering system that will reduce the problem. Perhaps initiate contact with the company in that link I posted above. They seemed to have a lot of info on photovoltaic system filtering.
Thanks Rich, I will check to see if I can turn it off to check. I’m not at home right now so will check tomorrow but this all makes sense now, I had my guitar shielded as I thought it was that.
I will keep you posted, thanks again my friend.

Back
Top Bottom