Harmonizer (Custom) : Allow to Reduce the number of note to 1

psimon666

Hello

As a singer, i sometimes need to force the pitch to a single voice note (this note is controlled by an external computer). This brings a very interesting robotic voice, that some FX racks allow (TC Electronic - VoiceLive series for instance), but not the AxeFx (while the AxeFx is much more powerfull and intereseting on many other features)

This could be easily done if the Pitch block (Harmonizer) would allow a minimum of 1 note instead of 4 (using the Custom scale i mean).

(The ideal would be to also allow 2 or 3 notes, but that's absolutly not so necessary)

Thanks in advance

This is possible with "Custom Shifter" type. Choose a global scale and adjust each shift to get the desired output note. The exact values used (C will shift to G with either +7 or -5 for example) will determine where octave switching occurs relative to your input note. The block's "key" parameter can be controlled to get other notes from that one global scale.

If you wanted the shifted note in a specific octave for a larger input range, this can be done with pitch follower assigned to whammy control or fixed harmony master pitch, or shift value to match any vibrato while staying within 50 cents of note center.

Hi @psimon666

I'm a singer/guitar player and would be interested in hearing your experience with the axe fx.
Are you using a Axe Fx 2 or 3 ? I'm a Axe FX 2 XL+ and voice live 2 user and was wondering if switching to the Axe FX 3 could combine the 2 in 1.

I'm looking for other users/singers feedback.
Would be great if you could tell me a little bit more about your setup

thanks

Hello JPF.

Well, i use the AxeFXIII for my guitar and my voice.

The audio In/Out 1 is dedicated to the guitar.
The audio In/Out 2 is dedicated to the voice. Note that i use a preamp before entering the AxeFx (gate/compressor/deesser) that also converts that MIC level to a LINE level (as a DI).

So i run two independant signals and the AxeFxIII has never been overloaded.
I would have liked to have one more AMP module (2 for the guitar, 1 for the voice), but i have to deal with that.
I use several scenes controlled by MIDI (by my DAW (SONAR)) to choose the right configuration at the right moment, and it's ok.
The audio quality for the voice is perfect and i see no quality difference with my old VoiceLive 3. Very cool to use with the AxeEdit software, with much more parameters that the VoiceLives.
Some effects are missing: Auto-tune / Robot-Voice /etc...
After many tries, i can say that the vocoder is good but it was very hard to understand it, and setting it up in a good way.

Hope this will help :)

Hello JPF.

The audio In/Out 2 is dedicated to the voice. Note that i use a preamp before entering the AxeFx (gate/compressor/deesser) that also converts that MIC level to a LINE level (as a DI).

I would have liked to have one more AMP module (2 for the guitar, 1 for the voice), but i have to deal with that.
I use several scenes controlled by MIDI (by my DAW (SONAR)) to choose the right configuration at the right moment, and it's ok.
The audio quality for the voice is perfect and i see no quality difference with my old VoiceLive 3. Very cool to use with the AxeEdit software, with much more parameters that the VoiceLives.
After many tries, i can say that the vocoder is good but it was very hard to understand it, and setting it up in a good way.

Hi, thanks a lot for your answer
So reading you it feels like you are happy with your axe fx 3 as a replacement for the voice live 3.

What preamp are you using for compressor, de-esser and gate ?

What block are you using to create harmonies for the voice ? How does it sound compared to the voice live 2 or 3 ?

I also was wondering if you could loop the voice and guitar independently ?
I guess that you could add a looper block at the end of your voice channel and another at the end of the guitar channel. But are the midi controls separate and independent ?

Many thanks

Hello JPF.

Hey thanks for posting that I have not had a chance to try running a mic through the axefxiii . So I appreciate you posting that very cool. Looking forward to seeing how that is going to work. :)

Freds55 : Cool :)

JPF: i use one of the input of an external numeric mixer (MIDAS M32, with very low latency, around 1.4ms from input to output) that already owns some basic effects (compressor, gate, EQ, etc.).
The processed signal is then going out of the mixer to the AxeFx. This idea of this config is to have the same basic signal processing before entering the AxeFx. This way, i prepare the MIC signal outside the AxeFx and if i need to change my microphone (static with +48V vs dynamic for instance), i don't need to change all my AxeFx presets.

I don't use harmonizer, neither looper so i can't answer.
Mainly, i use Gate, Compressor, AMP (with or without saturation), EQ, Drive, Vocoder (and Synth), Chorus, Delay, Reverb, Enhancer, etc.

Hope it may help...

JPF: i use one of the input of an external numeric mixer (MIDAS M32, with very low latency, around 1.4ms from input to output) that already owns some basic effects (compressor, gate, EQ, etc.).
The processed signal is then going out of the mixer to the AxeFx. This idea of this config is to have the same basic signal processing before entering the AxeFx. This way, i prepare the MIC signal outside the AxeFx and if i need to change my microphone (static with +48V vs dynamic for instance), i don't need to change all my AxeFx presets.

Mainly, i use Gate, Compressor, AMP (with or without saturation), EQ, Drive, Vocoder (and Synth), Chorus, Delay, Reverb, Enhancer, etc.

Hope it may help...

Thanks a lot. Guess I’ll sell my setup shortly for an axe fx 3 ;)

Hope it may help...
Hey Thanks I’m using a Peavey Fx 2 16, it also has all the onboard effects and I also have rack Eq’s, compressors, delay, Aleis midiverb iii, to name a few. I’m wanting to use the Ax Fx iii as a stand alone for guitar and mic. I have not been able to even try any of this because Hurricane Michael wrecked our house an we are living in our driveway.
But it’s great to hear how others are using there Ax fx iii.
Eventually I am trying to lighten the load when play gigs as we did this last weekend without compromising the sound.
I know I have a lot of work to do I should receive my FC 12 tomorrow Woo Hoo
What software are you using with your Daw?
Thanks for responding JPF ;):)

I prefer separate (in case of device failure)... I have had rack gear for years, they are good for studio but live I prefer a pedalboard approach! That's just me... :)

But you do have a point. I prefer one device with all my fx, instead of a rack with many separate fx (anc cable). But I like each source with separate chain. Voice, guitar, bass, so on. The mixer is the place where they blend togheder! :)

Back
Top Bottom