Matte Jazz III picks

The only matte one I know of in this size range is the John Petrucci signature. its a polished tip with a matte gripping area, but... it's slightly larger than a jazz III (still smaller than a standard).

outside of matte, I've had decent luck with the ones where the raised text and the embossed design in the gripping area of the pick seem to help. Primetone are like this, as are the amber colored Ultex ones. The most grippy I think is the carbon reinforced nylon one, it has almost a diamond plate pattern in the gripping area, which I actually found too grippy... to the point that I couldn't shift the pick in my fingers if I needed to.

These are all Dunlop picks, I don't know about other manufacturers of other JIII size picks.

the red nylon are too slippery for me. i use the black "stiffo" and they don't slip. my pick of choice for over 10 years at least.

I used the Tortex Jazz picks for a long time and then in the last year switched to the John Petrucci Jazz III, which I prefer over the (regular) black Jazz III.

However, I've never had too big of an issue with slippery picks...

Dunlop Carbon Fiber Max Grip Jazz III

471R3C-large.jpg

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...r-max-grip-jazz-iii-black-guitar-picks-6-pack
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MXE4JU

I discovered these 5 or 6 years ago and now they're all I use, even on acoustic and bass.

I think this is what @Dale LeClaire was alluding to when he mentioned the "diamond plate pattern".

if you find tortex to be matte then yes

they only make it in 3 sizes
Red/Green/Purple
.50/.88/1.14

I love the Green .88 ones, Tom Morello uses the purple ones

They come in a 36 pack for about $10

I like them

I thought it was a good idea with the grip on the pick's, i got some 2mm dunlops with grip since I've used the purple ones for so many years. Well upon using, I realized how much I move the pick around in my fingers, and is part of my technique. With the grip it was much more difficult to play. Just an observation from what I experienced.

@Alex C Yep that's exactly what I was talking about :)

As far as ideal grip level for me... if they were to make a "Gator Grip" version of the JIII somewhere around 1-1.5mm I'd buy a few packs right now...

I used the JP versions exclusively for a long time and I think they're great. They're grippy but no so grippy that they stick completely to your fingers and you can't move them around. They're still my go-to for Jazz III picks though I use some other pick styles now as well.

BTW, if you to try the carbons, pm me your address and I’ll send you a few packs I and not going to use.

I ordered a set of the John Petrucci one's and I was gonna run to the guitar store to see if they have the Carbon ones. Those come highly recommended. I'll PM. [Edit] Can I? Don't see a Direct Message feature anywhere.

And to everyone one else, thanks so much for the recommendations. I'm going to try every one of them to see which ones I like most.

I ordered a set of the John Petrucci one's and I was gonna run to the guitar store to see if they have the Carbon ones. Those come highly recommended. I'll PM. [Edit] Can I? Don't see a Direct Message feature anywhere.

And to everyone one else, thanks so much for the recommendations. I'm going to try every one of them to see which ones I like most.
Got your message. I'll get them sent out along with some Ultex. :)

Back
Top Bottom