AX8 vs FM3 DSP Power?

Kurapica

Hello.

Anyone knows which model has more powerful DSPs?I know the exactly model of DSP in AX8, but seems no FM3 DSP power model or comparing leaked?

The "elephant in the room" question is: why release a new generation product with just enough power to run (trimmed) initial Ares releases without power reserve to new more complex algos?!

Jesus, that DSPs costs about US$15 or so...

The "elephant in the room" question is: why release a new generation product with just enough power to run (trimmed) initial Ares releases without power reserve to new more complex algos?!

Are you an embedded DSP expert that knows the cost estimates for DSP chips versus algorithm performance needs?

Well it can run about 16 blocks
Its can run multi comp
Multi delay. Tri chorus
Cloud verbs. New drive block
New cab block. 1 full Ares amp model
I would hardly call it weak

1. The DSP costs about three times that figure.
2. The DSP power makes it the second most powerful amp modeling product on the market behind only the Axe-Fx III.
3. Adding another DSP would increase the price substantially. The increase would be more than the price of just the DSP since larger power supplies would be required, etc. This would price the unit above our target price.

Thank you for the response about the DSP. But the question about the new line product being already at it's limit at release, without "headroom" for new more complex amp algos remains...

Summed with the AX8 status, gives an impression of shorter life circle for the floor products.

Thank you for the response about the DSP. But the question about the new line product being already at it's limit at release, without "headroom" for new more complex amp algos remains...

Summed with the AX8 status, gives an impression of shorter life circle for the floor products.

I think this assumption is incorrect
Core 2 runs at 100%
One amp is 65% if over the next year
A single amp required 70 or 75% cpu
They have still left it open
An additional 10% of a CPU would be quite a jump though considering Ares i think is already more efficent than prior Algos

“Life cycle” isn’t an absolute term.... to some it simply means a product that will continue to work and sound as good as they day they bought it for years to come. To others maybe it means always having the latest and greatest technology, but that generally comes at a cost, and not everyone needs or wants to play that game...

For every guitar player sitting there hitting the F5 key all day waiting to get their “fix” of a new firmware update there is a guitar player who is still using a firmware several years out of date on an Axe II, happy with their tone and oblivious to the whole updates game.

It’s just like any tech.... you have people camping outside the smartphone store to get the newest $1299 smartphone every year, BUT you still have people happily using an iPhone 4s with a cranked screen.

I think the whole update thing has kind of replaced the old “GAS” for pedals and amps and stuff.

Guys aren’t searching eBay, pawn shops, classifieds etc for a new overdrive pedal, or other hardware they will buy and sell over and over, now it’s about that gratification from software updates. The exciting anticipation, the thrill of the first boot up, scrolling to that new amp model etc. addictive stuff....

We can’t think everyone follows that mentality though. I know a guy who’s using the same amp and pedals for over a decade now, doesn’t feel any need to keep trying new stuff, doesn’t engorging the “getting” part of guitar gear, just playing.

As such, some fm3 buyers may have zero care about how long updates will come etc, hard as it is for some to believe.

I bought a III 10 days after they stated shipping, so I enjoy living on the edge, and am willing to spend money for that enjoyment, but it’s foolish to think everyone cares about that.

FAS tone and features for $999 is all the more some folks care about today, who cares what it may or may not update to next year or further down the road.

...reminds me of why I'm taking out my Boss ME-50 as a effect unit to gigs still today, best $50 used purchase I did ten years' ago... Wonder what DSP power that one has compared with all the Fractal monster units today.

There's no need to speculate. They already said the bells and whistles has been trimmed to accommodate full Ares in the FM3 hardware.

I think this assumption is incorrect
Core 2 runs at 100%
One amp is 65% if over the next year
A single amp required 70 or 75% cpu
They have still left it open
An additional 10% of a CPU would be quite a jump though considering Ares i think is already more efficent than prior Algos

There's no need to speculate. They already said the bells and whistles has been trimmed to accommodate full Ares in the FM3 hardware.

Yes they took out some stuff that was not in the original amps and were enhancement. Like Dynamic depth pres etc
To me those things were not really bells and whistles but YMMV

Hi

To simply have the FAS tone ability in a small Mobil unit is very desirable. I bought an FX2 5 years ago and have been trying to get an equally hi calibre sound for my rig when work ( 2 weeks at work , 2 weeks at home ) so updates are a bonus ( very pleasant icing on the cake ) at the end of the day this isn't an FX3 ;)

I haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to making tones on my AX8 and I've had it for like 2 years? It's in storage right now, awaiting for the time I get either a decent FRFR Speaker, a Powerstage 170 or a really nice set of monitors, interface and able computer, in the meantime I'm making do with a Marshall Code 50 1x12 that I've had for years now (I swapped the stock speaker with a Veteran 30 back when I got it) and you know what? I don't terribly miss my "serious" rig, what I'm trying to say is that as long as you are playing and enjoying yourself, processing power doesn't matter, I like the FM-3, I also like my AX8, such a wonderful time for us guitar players to be alive and playing!

I haven't even scratched the surface when it comes to making tones on my AX8 and I've had it for like 2 years? It's in storage right now, awaiting for the time I get either a decent FRFR Speaker, a Powerstage 170 or a really nice set of monitors, interface and able computer, in the meantime I'm making do with a Marshall Code 50 1x12 that I've had for years now (I swapped the stock speaker with a Veteran 30 back when I got it) and you know what? I don't terribly miss my "serious" rig, what I'm trying to say is that as long as you are playing and enjoying yourself, processing power doesn't matter, I like the FM-3, I also like my AX8, such a wonderful time for us guitar players to be alive and playing!

I agree with you, I play several instruments and I can say for sure that you should not chase expensive and cool things, but it all comes with your own experience.

Back
Top Bottom