Not enough input gain?

Scott Seigel

I feel like for whatever reason, I don't get enough gain into the input from my guitar. I'm using an ESP Eclipse with an EMG 81 so it's pretty hot to begin with. My cables are perfectly fine, too. whenever I see videos of someone else loading up a stock amp, it seems like they already have a much more driven sound and the only way I can get that is with a Neutral Input Boost in the amp block.

Is there anything I can do about this or is there something else going on here?

NOTE: I also have adjusted the Input in the settings menu for the noise to signal ratio even though that doesn't affect actual input gain.

BIG EDIT: ok so I definitely worded this wrong. The input gain itself is not the issue. my guitar is leveled fine and all but once I hear it through the AMP BLOCK it feels like it doesn't push through hard enough. THAT is why it's very strange to me. my guitar is just fine and everything I checked. But the amp just isn't reacting the way that I believe it should. I've seen videos of people using pickups that aren't as hot as the EMG's getting more gain through the amp. Sorry I didn't specify any of that before.

Last edited:
You’re insane. I’ll bet it’s in your patch. Post your patch so others can load it and diagnose the problem please

How old is the battery for your EMG 81? Might swap for a fresh one and see if there is any difference. That used to get me every so often, when the battery dropped below a certain level.

I feel like for whatever reason, I don't get enough gain into the input from my guitar. I'm using an ESP Eclipse with an EMG 81 so it's pretty hot to begin with. My cables are perfectly fine, too. whenever I see videos of someone else loading up a stock amp, it seems like they already have a much more driven sound and the only way I can get that is with a Neutral Input Boost in the amp block.

NOTE: I also have adjusted the Input in the settings menu for the noise to signal ratio even though that doesn't affect actual input gain.

Me too. I always have to increase the gain to get the sound I expected, even when using hot pickups. The AxeFX II had a global amp gain offset that could be used to compensate for this. It's also handy when switching between guitars with different output levels. AFAIK that was removed from the AxeFX III, but I don't know what the reasoning was.

Also check your connections in your guitar. I have two guitars that, if I bump the cord, the signal is cut drastically, and addition to sound weak, it sounds like I can’t get any gain in general. (Yes I know I need to get them fixes up.)

Once you check Pups and cords, gain is in the amp (mostly aka drives and boosts, etc.).

Input, MV and maybe input trim are your friends. Post a patch and tell us what you’re going for tone wise.

Are you sure that you've got Power Amp Modelling turned on?

I think there is an input gain in the global settings. It's weird tough, usually when I connect a guitar with EMGs I start clipping the input and have to dial back that setting.

I think there is an input gain in the global settings. It's weird tough, usually when I connect a guitar with EMGs I start clipping the input and have to dial back that setting.

Nope, that's not an input gain control.

I tested everything you guys suggested and everything is perfectly fine until I run through an amp block. its at that point it feels like it doesn't push through hard enough. I've heard examples of identical settings on amps getting more gain from pickups no where near as hot as the EMG's I have.

I tested everything you guys suggested and everything is perfectly fine until I run through an amp block. its at that point it feels like it doesn't push through hard enough. I've heard examples of identical settings on amps getting more gain from pickups no where near as hot as the EMG's I have.
please post a preset and recording...otherwise it's just shooting in the dark for everyone.

Sorry for the late post on the preset and example. I'm using the first scene with the EVH 5153 Red channel.

NOTE: In the preset the Input Boost is ON and in the example I have it turned off so if you try it out, turn the input boost OFF.

Attachments

• Recording.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Sorry for the late post on the preset and example. I'm using the first scene with the EVH 5153 Red channel.

Not sure how that couldn’t be enough gain!? And if you then went and raised the INPUT TRIM on top of that how that wouldn’t turn into sounding like a bag of smashed as$holes right quick with way too much Gain is beyond me..
Is it the tone you’re not liking?

Back
Top Bottom