MFC-101 with Axe-Fx 3

neale dunham

Experienced
Looking to buy the Mfc101 mark 3. Can anyone quickly point out what works and what doesn't when connecting with Axe 3
Thanks

Looking to buy the Mfc101 mark 3. Can anyone quickly point out what works and what doesn't when connecting with Axe 3
Thanks
It's basically a "generic" midi controller in that case. You won't get anything that requires bi-directional communication: tuner display, automatic syncing of effect status on preset load, etc. Also, you can't easily use more than 5 scenes.

You might want to do some forum searching, it's been discussed.

Forum member @oson00 has also created an interface that can get you pretty much full functionality.

I build an arduino based solution for bidirectional communication between MFC and Axe 3. More informations here: midimonkeys.com

The JORDI Board is an open development system for MIDI operations with up to three MIDI Ports (in and out) and some more features like lcd Display, sd card reader and more. The JORDI package for communiction between Axe 3 and MFC comes with only two MIDI ports and the translator software installed on the arduino. But it is possible to extend the system.

In the moment I use the JORDI board as simple translator between my MFC and Axe 3 for months.

But I have build one JORDI board with SD card reader and Display for controlling channel switching on an Engl Amp and switching some pedal states in connection with an Axe2 and a MFC. In dependent of the choosen preset and Scene it will switch the Amp channel and Pedals. Configured by an config file on sd card.

Unix,

Why does it become difficult to use more than 5 scenes?

Also, Will i be able to access all 512 Presets from the MFC via midi?
At the moment i can only use 15 Presets with my Boss Es8 as i can only use Program changes which equates to roughly 127 divided by 8 scenes.

As long as i can get more access than this using the MFC i will be happy.

Unix,

At the moment i can only use 15 Presets with my Boss Es8 as i can only use Program changes which equates to roughly 127 divided by 8 scenes.

As long as i can get more access than this using the MFC i will be happy.
Because scene switches all use the same CC value, and only 1 can be active at a time. This requires you to put the switches into a group making them mutually exclusive - meaning only 1 switch in the group (the most recently pressed) should be active.

You can do this on the MFC with Link Groups... But a link group only supports 5 switches.

You CAN use all 8 scenes but at some point your LEDs will get out of sync.

I don't know if you'll be able to access more the first Bank of 128 presets when used as a general Midi controller because I never had the need, and I sold my MFC when I got the FC-12.

With the method linked in post #5 you can have up to 8 scenes because preset switches (determined by bank size) select scenes. This approach is necessary if you want to save/recall matching IA states (and optionally scene names) with one-way communication.

Basically no. You could think of it as 384 total scenes available. For a bank size of 8 that's 48 presets. Song/set mode with shared presets for matching IA states on scene X could increase that number a bit.

If you didn't care about matching IA states at all, technically there is a way to access all 512 presets. The set up would be sort of complicated:

1. Set enough true preset (scene 1) switches per bank to have 128 of them among all banks (384 presets)
2. Configure PC only (no CC#0 bank select) as a custom message on preset switches from step 1, disabling the usual PC
3. Remaining preset switches as scene 2+ select
4. Method to send CC#0 for bank changes e.g. custom messages of IAs accessed via reveal function

(Maybe the JORDI board mentioned above could be combined with this for 512 presets & matching IA states.)

With JORDI Board you get the flexibility of up to 8 scenes and 384 presets. The MFC was designed for using it with the Axe 1 or 2 with up to 384 Presets.in Axe fX mode the MFC recognizes the scene IA up to 8 different scenes, so this would be working.

Btw: you‘ll see the start scene number too. The feature of start scene of the axe3 will be supported!

Quick question for you @ unix-guy since you have an FC-12.

When in my home studio I like to audition presets from the Axe-Edit 'Axe-Presets Manage' tool. I also keep Frac-Pad III open so that way I can see the layout of the preset I'm auditioning. With the XL+ and MFC101 mk III I would hit the Scene #1 switch and the on/off state of all the effect blocks would show up on the foot controller.

So I was wondering if there was any way to do this as well with the FC-12? And if so can it be set to by default startup on a 'Effects' layout?

Thx!
Joce

Quick question for you @ unix-guy since you have an FC-12.

When in my home studio I like to audition presets from the Axe-Edit 'Axe-Presets Manage' tool. I also keep Frac-Pad III open so that way I can see the layout of the preset I'm auditioning. With the XL+ and MFC101 mk III I would hit the Scene #1 switch and the on/off state of all the effect blocks would show up on the foot controller.

So I was wondering if there was any way to do this as well with the FC-12? And if so can it be set to by default startup on a 'Effects' layout?

Thx!
Joce
Yes, if you setup a layout that has the effects that are in your presets (similar to MFC) it will reflect the state of the effects. Since you can have per-preset switches, the FCs are even better.

You can define the default layout that is loaded when you boot up.

Back
Top Bottom