Volume Block - Jumps / Not Smooth with Expression Pedals

Warrior

Power User
I don't normally use a volume block but needed too recently. I've tried 3 different expression pedals and all 3 have a point where the volume jumps higher - it's not a smooth transition.

They are calibrated.

One is a Mission's, one is a Boss FV-500H, One is a Roland EV-5.

Any suggestions?

Block.jpg

Yes using TRS.
Auto engage is off.
i've used all pedals you've mentioned and never had anything "jumpy" happen.

try a different TRS cable. if you can show us video of what's going on, we can help you better. not much detail right now.

change the cable. it might fix it. try another pedal port. we need to source the issue.

describe where it "jumps higher" and what that means specifically. that usually means the wrong cable is being used.

Screen Shot 2019-05-06 at 3.45.27 PM.png
this is TRS, just making sure. many people said they use TRS then are like "wait what is that."

+1 on trying a different expression pedal input if the cable doesn’t fix it. I just recently had some real issues with expression pedals, tried several pedals and cables, and cured the problem when I moved from Ext 1 to Ext 2. My guess is that I (or someone else) managed to step on the cable end on a tight stage and did something that affected the connection. Going to another completely cured the intermittent crazy behavior.

Try a different taper ?

I've tried "Linear". Will try the others.

i've used all pedals you've mentioned and never had anything "jumpy" happen.

try a different TRS cable. if you can show us video of what's going on, we can help you better. not much detail right now.

change the cable. it might fix it. try another pedal port. we need to source the issue.

describe where it "jumps higher" and what that means specifically. that usually means the wrong cable is being used.

View attachment 54671
this is TRS, just making sure. many people said they use TRS then are like "wait what is that."

I will try some different TRS cables. The Roland pedal has an attached cable.
I will upload a video of the issue tonight.

To try to describe it a little better, the taper starts out smooth going from 0 volume and then, for example, at about 30% it jumps up about 5dB and continues from there. There may be another jump somewhere before it gets to 100%. Not sure.

This was my pedal board before getting the FC-12
MFC.JPG

+1 on trying a different expression pedal input if the cable doesn’t fix it. I just recently had some real issues with expression pedals, tried several pedals and cables, and cured the problem when I moved from Ext 1 to Ext 2. My guess is that I (or someone else) managed to step on the cable end on a tight stage and did something that affected the connection. Going to another completely cured the intermittent crazy behavior.

I did try changing it from Pedal Jack 3 to Pedal Jack 2. This is into my FC-12.

Your CPU is above 80%... Try getting out below 80%.

That could definitely be it as well.

Will try this tonight.

Those shunts going to OUT2 are for what, exactly?

It's not connected but I had it set up so I could record a pre- delay/verb (not DI) if needed.

Check the update rate on the modifier, I think they default to "Slow" to save on CPU. I've got the ones for Volume and Wah set to "Fast" in my patches and for me it makes a big difference.

Also looks like you are getting pretty close to that magic percentage that can have negative issues. Just a thought.

Here's a quick video demonstrating the issue.
I've also tried changing the "Update Rate" & "Taper" and no difference.
The issue exists on all three pedals I've tried and with different TRS cables.
Updated to 5.07 as well.

Here's a quick video demonstrating the issue.
I've also tried changing the "Update Rate" & "Taper" and no difference.
The issue exists on all three pedals I've tried and with different TRS cables.
Updated to 5.07 as well.

Just curious, does the little yellow dot on the slope line in the edit modifier screen, jump like the volume does while moving the pedal or does it move smoothly?

What's the source of the VolPan "Bypass" modifier (visibly assigned in first screenshot)?

It sounds like the pedal is thru-bypassing the block above 50%, or maybe engaging another block that boosts level. I'd guess it's bypassing the VolPan since it's bypassed in AE grid w/ volume at 100%, but I don't know if you intentionally have a separate controller to A/B switch pedal-controlled blocks.

Just curious, does the little yellow dot on the slope line in the edit modifier screen, jump like the volume does while moving the pedal or does it move smoothly?

It doesn't move smoothly but it doesn't seem to move with the audible volume jump.

What's the source of the VolPan "Bypass" modifier (visibly assigned in first screenshot)?

It sounds like the pedal is thru-bypassing the block above 50%, or maybe engaging another block that boosts level. I'd guess it's bypassing the VolPan since it's bypassed in AE grid w/ volume at 100%, but I don't know if you intentionally have a separate controller to A/B switch pedal-controlled blocks.

Not sure but I think I just manually selected that in Axe-Edit. I don't recall adding a source to Bypass. I'll check.

Back
Top Bottom