Rack panel with Axe-Fx 3?

toneseeker911

Experienced
I'm thinking of upgrading my AX8 and go to the AXE FX III rack. Never gigged with a rack unit before and trying to find out the best way to get a compact setup.

I will probably pick up a SKB 4U shallow case. I do want to add in a wireless unit (have a shure transmitter) and was also thinking of a rack panel. Any ideas on how all this can be done within a 4U ? Can the wireless antenna be on the rear while the rack panel is in front in the 4th slot ?

Thanks !

I have my Axe-Fx III, a 1u rack mounted power strip, and a 1u Line 6 G90 wireless, all in a deep SKB 4u rack. I have the AFX and power strip in front (the power strip has lights, so I want it in front), and the wireless is mounted in the back. This places the wireless antennae in the back as well. It barely fits, but it does fit. I don't typically need access to the controls on the wireless unit. I also have a 1u input/output panel on the back so I don't have to reach inside the rack to plug things in. So far, it has worked great for me.

I run 6U:

1. Furman DCM PL+ (?)
  2. AxeFx3
  3. 2U Matrix Amp
However it’s obvious plenty of people make 2 to 4U work just fine!

Any idea on how long they take to respond? I sent them an email a week ago regarding a panel and haven't heard back.

I see Redco does panels. Anyone have any experience with them?

I bought a bunch of parts for DIY from Redco, good prices, fast shipping, nice selection.

If you use pass thru style connectors you can build the whole thing yourself without having to solder one wire, just need a screwdriver. Bonus being you can also easily change things around of your needs change

This looks great, thanks for the pictures !

There is a power strip in there to power everything, so I just pull out the one power plug up to the monitor and go. I wired in the switch to switch between my wireless and my regular input, so it's really easy to switch to gig mode. The front I wired a switch for the wireless power, as I didn't want it running all the time when not in use.

There is a power strip in there to power everything, so I just pull out the one power plug up to the monitor and go. I wired in the switch to switch between my wireless and my regular input, so it's really easy to switch to gig mode. The front I wired a switch for the wireless power, as I didn't want it running all the time when not in use.
I see your instr input at the front of the unit is not wired ? Where does your wireless / switch output go ? Is there another input at the back ?

Any idea on how long they take to respond? I sent them an email a week ago regarding a panel and haven't heard back.

I see Redco does panels. Anyone have any experience with them?

Both are good. BTPA is probably a little better on price. I would submit another request to BTPA. I found their support to be very prompt so most likely your email slipped into the black hole.

I’m using the same 4U Gator Roll-Away Shock Rack case I employed with my first Fractal Ultra. I used something else for my AxeFx II.

I really like that setup you have there. Did you custom make that stand for the rack and CLR below?

Thanks.... No it's a mixer stand I believe, i'll have to find the model number
Quik Lok WS-540
. It's adjustable in a few directions. Now that I have my case for my CLR it doesn't sit underneath it at gigs usually, as the case makes it a bit too wide for that stand.

Last edited:
I see your instr input at the front of the unit is not wired ? Where does your wireless / switch output go ? Is there another input at the back ?

The input from the panel and the output from the wireless go to the switch. Out of the switch goes to the rear input on the axe. So i can just flip the switch and use the wireless or plug in the back.

Both are good. BTPA is probably a little better on price. I would submit another request to BTPA. I found their support to be very prompt so most likely your email slipped into the black hole.

I really like BTPA's products, but I've had bad luck trying to get a response to email requests for an RMA on a cable that needed to be repaired. The cable was under warranty, but I even offered to pay for the repair. (Zero responses after three attempts...I finally gave up.)

I just velcro'd my Line 6 G50 receiver into the bottom toward the back of my 4U Gator rack. I have the Axe III, a power unit, and the wireless. Works perfectly and there's still room to coil cables back there if/when I need to.

Another rack newbie thinking about going for the III.

Would sticking the FxIII in a plain old 3u rack case provide sufficient cooling? I never use a wireless and just want to keep things small and simple as possible.

Back
Top Bottom