The correct way to hard pan dual amps while retaining stereo effects?

Rekster

Experienced
I’ve been a huge fan of stereo amp setups for quite some time, which was one of the reasons I picked up the Axe FX III - to simplify my life. Every time I think I have things set up correctly I realize that something is still not right. I've followed training videos and have searched the forums but can't seem to find anything explaining how to do this. Could an expert please help put my mind at ease and tell me the correct way to do this?

As it is I have two amp blocks in parallel, hard panned left and right - both running into a single row of effects and then routed into two cab blocks panned hard left/right. I realized today by bypassing a cab block (and hearing results on both sides) that I'm clearly doing this wrong. I see my problem - I'm sending both L/R sides into both cab blocks at once. Is there a way to split the L/R output of my last effect so I can isolate what side is hitting each cab block? Or is there a better way of accomplishing this?

I’ll include a screenshot as well as the preset itself.

As it is I’m clearly not doing this correctly so if could someone please let me know the correct way I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 3.16.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-20 at 3.16.16 PM.png
    141 KB · Views: 84
  • Reks Tone - JPIIC+HBE.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 17
It seems as if both amps are in stereo. When I bypass the Friedman I only hear the USA JP coming out of the left side and vise versa.
Is that not what you're going for?

It seems as if both amps are in stereo. When I bypass the Friedman I only hear the USA JP coming out of the left side and vise versa.
Is that not what you're going for?

That's exactly what I'm going for. Bypassing amp blocks individually seem to indicate that I have it correct. But if I'm not mistaken both cab blocks are receiving a blended signal of both amps - which is not what I'm going for. Bypassing a cab block will demonstrate this. I feel like I'm missing one piece of the puzzle to finish off this preset correctly.

Why not put the cab blocks in the parallel chains with the amps, and then the effects after the cabs? That way each amp only goes into one cab block.

Well, it seems to have been as simple as that. I couldn't do this before because I needed to bypass the cab blocks when sending an output to my Mesa guitar cabs. But I'm using a pair of full range speaker wedges now so this solution will work. Thanks!

Although this will do what I need now, if I want to go back to my real guitar cabs and bypass the cab blocks I'd love to know how to separate the signal correctly with the preset that I've posted here... There must be a way to isolate the output of an effect into separate L/R channels so each side can run into cab blocks independently.

This is how would do this.....
  1. Moved both 'Cabs' to just after each 'Amp' blocks, in series
  2. Panned all 'Amp' block channels back to center.
  3. Panned all 'Cab' block channels back to center.
  4. Added a 'Vol/Pan' block after each 'Cab' block, in series.
  5. Both 'Vol/Pan' blocks, channel A, output panned hard left and right.
  6. Both 'Vol/Pan' blocks, channel B, output panned center.
Set both 'Vol/Pan' blocks to channel A for hard panned Dual amps
Set the 'Vol/Pan' block of the amp being used in a single amp chain, to channel 'B' for center panning.

Added a couple of extra scenes to showcase the different options. Sample preset below.

Attachments

• Reks Tone - JPIIC+HBE (MCP) (5.06).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 49
This is how would do this.....
  1. Moved both 'Cabs' to just after each 'Amp' blocks, in series
  2. Panned all 'Amp' block channels back to center.
  3. Panned all 'Cab' block channels back to center.
  4. Added a 'Vol/Pan' block after each 'Cab' block, in series.
  5. Both 'Vol/Pan' blocks, channel A, output panned hard left and right.
  6. Both 'Vol/Pan' blocks, channel B, output panned center.
Set both 'Vol/Pan' blocks to channel A for hard panned Dual amps
Set the 'Vol/Pan' block of the amp being used in a single amp chain, to channel 'B' for center panning.

Added a couple of extra scenes to showcase the different options. Sample preset below.

Hey, thanks so much for this Moke! I like the use of the Vol/Pan to help with flexibility. Gives me much more to go with while experimenting with blended amp tones now. Cheers.

Hey, thanks so much for this Moke! I like the use of the Vol/Pan to help with flexibility. Gives me much more to go with while experimenting with blended amp tones now. Cheers.
Cool.... You could handle the panning by using the Cab block channels, but it might be a little more confusing... Plus, Cab channel switching would add more audio gaps.

Back
Top Bottom