Axe-Fx II "Ares" Rev 1.03 Firmware Release

I realize this isn't what most people are experiencing, and I know it is on my end. A preset from scratch sounded ok on some models (Boogies, etc.), but not good on others (Plexi, etc.). I'm still looking for whatever it is I did. It sounded like my Ultra on a bad day.

Has anyone found they needed massive readjustment of amp parameters after the update? I'll try again tomorrow.

Personally, I'd like to hear from the preset masters like @austinbuddy and @Moke and any others that their preset packs are tweaked for this release. I'll take the plunge when they give the "all systems go". :)
I took it for a quick test run when it first came out, but didn't have anything setup to actually compare it to. Didn't hear anything that sounded way off?

The newer 'Axe-Fx III' firmware was 'way' different for some presets, especially ones that relied on 'Drives'. The 'Drives' did not change on the 'Axe-Fx II', so I'm not expecting too much work???:eek: I haven't heard any reports of problems?

I'm still kind of waiting for this 'last' firmware to get really checked out, before I start the process.;)

@200man Yes no big problem really. I tried yesterday also some presets of Moke's "Clean to Mean Preset Pack" and do a "Soft Reset" in the amp block and listen to the difference in sound. Most of the time change preset again and load to original preset. Here I only change mostly only on the Dynamic Page CF settings as with the soft reset in the amp block sometimes other settings in the scenes get messed up. The same goes for the Austin Buddy or Fremen presets.

Just upgraded to Ares. Not sure what happened. All presets sound awful. Bass is flubby and farty. Attack is mush. Sound is compressed and unrealistic. Gain is way too hot. Can't get a plexi to sound good, especially with master at 10. Readjusted a few presets after resetting the amp block. Improved, but still not right. ...

I realize this isn't what most people are experiencing, and I know it is on my end. A preset from scratch sounded ok on some models (Boogies, etc.), but not good on others (Plexi, etc.). I'm still looking for whatever it is I did. It sounded like my Ultra on a bad day.

Has anyone found they needed massive readjustment of amp parameters after the update? I'll try again tomorrow.

That's exactly my experience on Ares. I'm still fighting to make it work, mostly because I'm too stubborn to admit defeat and I've never ever had to "go back" to a previous version before... But it's a fight, not an easy and rewarding ride. I'm stumped that some of us have such a big issue with Ares, while most praise it highly (and a few see very little difference)...

That's exactly my experience on Ares. I'm still fighting to make it work, mostly because I'm too stubborn to admit defeat and I've never ever had to "go back" to a previous version before... But it's a fight, not an easy and rewarding ride. I'm stumped that some of us have such a big issue with Ares, while most praise it highly (and a few see very little difference)...

I was struggeling too and was thinking of going back. But since I started making presets from scratch It's working. It's the last fw and worth doing all over again as it is going to stay.

hi Tony,

really nice chops as usual !
well Ur HBEC45 sound really nice... see in my previous posts, found it anemic => may be have to re DL/install the FW... and rebuild the preset, even if I always rebuilt presets with hard reset on amps(Ctl+I)
have to check today.

hi Tony,

well Ur HBEC45 sound really nice... see in my previous posts, found it anemic => may be have to re DL/install the FW... and rebuild the preset, even if I always rebuilt presets with hard reset on amps(Ctl+I)
have to check today.

Or just don`t use that specific model ;)

Hi everyone. So I finally couldn't resist anymore and took the plunge last night.. and upgrade to FW 1.03.

I must say so far I am in the camp of users not seeing a HUGE difference from 10.01. That being said I only explored through presets for a few hours. I also do not use (in contrast to many folks here I think..) the really Hi Gain amps.. so my go-to amps are the Fenders, the DC30, plexis, AC versions.

Going through my favorite presets without touching anything I did notice more clarity in the tone, as many have seen. Overall I would say that most amps feel more accurately like their 'real life' counteparts - which is definitely impressive considering where 10.01 already was - and is definitely a good thing!

Did try to do some resets on the amp block for a few presets where I wasn't sure.. but in end I reverted to the original preset in all cases, with very minor tweaks.

So that's my 2-cents so far.

I also had a quick question about the Release Notes. From Ares 1.01 it reads:

"Be sure to audition any presets created before Quantum 7.00. It is also recommended to do a “soft reset” of the Amp block on these presets by deselecting and then reselecting the model."

Am I reading this properly that ONLY for presets created before Quantum 7.00 are we recommended to do a soft reset on the Amp block?

Thx!

I gave it another go. Ares sounds good, but I have to totally readjust the amp from scratch. Since I only use the II live, and I have a couple hundred presets, I'm going to stick to Quantum. Too many responsibilities demanding my time. I have a III for studio and enjoyment.

If a total rework of the amp parameters isn't needed by the vast majority, then it is possible something is still wrong on my end.

Ok upgrade to Ares FW 1.03.
And it sound good

I just wondering Is this normal Behavior for FW 1.03. when You select lot of different Fractal factory presets
they end up loading with a lot of the effects All off or grey out

Now one load up just fine it a preset called “Stone Love”

But others only load up with just amp And cab the effects are loading up hits and misses

Bcraig: I have not seen that behaviour so far. Also not sure I understand what you mean by "when You select lot of different Fractal factory presets"?

hi Tony,

have to check today.

Well to be sure perhabs best to do re DL/Install FW. For me HBE C45 is amazing and before that I never got right with the friedman's.

Bcraig: I have not seen that behaviour so far. Also not sure I understand what you mean by "when You select lot of different Fractal factory presets"?

Ok try this open Axe Edit then into presets And then type in the search Stone Love
And select it and load it up

Do you see all the amps and cabs and all the effects turn on ?

Ok my bad sorry I have been trying to learn to create my own presets and I have not mess with to many Factory Presets except "Stone Love"
so when I just started to load them up randomly and noticed they were not all on
I thought maybe I did something wrong since they did not all load in with all
the effetcs on by defult
Thanks all for clearing that up
sorry still very learning how all this stuff works

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom