Upgrade AX8 to III?

This is the first time in the history of the internet that anyone ever accused @Gasp100 of having restraint when it comes to gear acquisitions! :p

I used the III with in-ear-monitors for the first time Sunday. I definitely noticed the increased clarity and responsiveness. Overall, it just seemed to sit in the mix better without stepping on other instruments.

It was also the first run with the FC-6 and I struggled with that a bit. I don't quite have the layouts configured the way I want yet. I definitely miss the extra switches I had available on the AX8, but the FC-12 seemed too big when I was considering which one to order. The FC-6 is going to work out once I get use to a couple extra button clicks, but I still may end up switching to the FC-12 down the road.

I did not enjoy having the extra rack compared to the AX8...
I was actually being a little sarcastic. I was not trying to be too obvious.

This is the first time in the history of the internet that anyone ever accused @Gasp100 of having restraint when it comes to gear acquisitions! :p

I used the III with in-ear-monitors for the first time Sunday. I definitely noticed the increased clarity and responsiveness. Overall, it just seemed to sit in the mix better without stepping on other instruments.

It was also the first run with the FC-6 and I struggled with that a bit. I don't quite have the layouts configured the way I want yet. I definitely miss the extra switches I had available on the AX8, but the FC-12 seemed too big when I was considering which one to order. The FC-6 is going to work out once I get use to a couple extra button clicks, but I still may end up switching to the FC-12 down the road.

I did not enjoy having the extra rack compared to the AX8...

You would be amazed how much gear I have moved, recently, what my current "rigs" look like and what I am planning LOL...
The III might be in my near future.

I am still hopeful for an Ares floor version but with no official word on the subject, the fact that I'm a converted Fractalite and the pricing of the III, I decided to dive in head first with the flagship. Yes, it's going to require lugging more gear for gigs once I get an FC, but at the end of the day I choose to use what sounds the best to me regardless of convenience.

I've got the 3 with an FC6 but just ordered an AX8.

Plan is to keep the 3 permanently wired at home for recording and use the AX8 for gigs and rehearsals. Currently having multiple weekly rehearsals and play a lot of smaller shows with quick turnaround.

3 is def more powerful but I can't beat the convenience
Have seen so many pro bands pull off major tours w the AX8, so I know it'll sound good enough.

Last edited:
I have both. I just picked up the Austinbuddy Dream pack for the Ax8 which is a big improvement in tone for me. I’m probably going to sell the III. The Ax8 portability and cost make it a better fit for my needs. When Fractal comes out with a new version of the Ax8 I’ll get on the wait list as soon as possible.

Yea, I just saw the Neal Morse Band last week (incredible show!). Both Neal and Eric Gillette are using the AX8.

I'm happy with the switch to the III, but will definitely be in line if/when a more powerful successor to the AX8 is announced.

I'm now on the waitlist for the III and the FC6. The AX8 worked so incredibly well for me, I might call an audible and just get another one but I owe it to myself to try a III. A couple things I have learned along this massive journey:
1. Any ancillary gear required to do direct to FOH/IEMs is just a huge PITA, no matter how good it works or sounds (reactive loads, IR boxes, etc).
2. Weight / cartage is a REAL consideration and factors huge into my gear purchases.
3. Multi function gear (scenes, all in one patches, etc.) trump individual configurations (ie. amps, cabs, multiple pedals).
4. I think I'm done heavily investing in FRFR as backline... my Alto TS110a has always sounded good enough and I have gigged it so much it has paid for itself many, many times over.
5. I'm giving a lot of consideration to modeling into power amp into real cab as my backline + at home rig. Somehow I'm ending up with two great quality cabs (don't ask LOL!) and I feel a PowerStage 170 or Matrix GT 1U might be a good fit.

The III is a fantastic piece of gear, no doubt. And I'm going to start using it at church now that I have the FC-6. But I'm not selling the AX8 yet. It sounds fantastic in its own right and I may end up going back to it if I get tired of the rack/separate controller setup. With the III, I'm only caring one additional piece (the III itself in a rack) compared to the AX8, so it may prove to be an acceptable inconvenience because I can definitely see myself using those new reverbs for ambient tones. Plus the upcoming drive block rework has me really curious as well.Adam4adam TutuApp AppValley

Last edited:
I would definitely go for the III if you can swing the price difference. It’s still receiving regular improvements. Just today they dropped a new beta firmware with huge improvements to the pitch shifter / virtual capo.

Back
Top Bottom