John Petrucci's JP2-C Settings

I am struggling to get the sound (growl, very rich harmonics) which can be heard in this clip at 3:45

John Petr Guitar Lesson — 5 Guitar Tips

Tried a lot of different settings and ir.

Does anyone know, in order to accurately recreate the pull gain on each channel what you would need to raise the input drive to? I thought I saw it mention by @FractalAudio in another thread but I cannot locate it. I know I can use my ears, but I am curious what would accurately recreate what the actual amp does.

NOTE: To emulate the “Shred” mode turn the High Treble control to approximately 3-4 dB (or adjust to taste, you are not limited by a single switch).

Does anyone know, in order to accurately recreate the pull gain on each channel what you would need to raise the input drive to? I thought I saw it mention by @FractalAudio in another thread but I cannot locate it. I know I can use my ears, but I am curious what would accurately recreate what the actual amp does.

NOTE: To emulate the “Shred” mode turn the High Treble control to approximately 3-4 dB (or adjust to taste, you are not limited by a single switch).

I think for pull gain you go to the ideal page and increase the Input Drive by 1 or 1.5, Shred Mode is different.

What’s the difference between the real amp pot tapers and the axe? Has anyone found equivalent settings.

So the JP2-C has two seperate EQ's so you can have different EQ profiles for different channels, but looking at those instagram posts he sets them pretty much identically anyway?

So the JP2-C has two seperate EQ's so you can have different EQ profiles for different channels, but looking at those instagram posts he sets them pretty much identically anyway?

look closer: the second one usually doesn't cut the mids as much and boosting the 240 a tad more to thicken up the tone. One mm can be a lot on those faders...

I am struggling to get the sound (growl, very rich harmonics) which can be heard in this clip at 3:45

John Petr Guitar Lesson — 5 Guitar Tips

Tried a lot of different settings and ir.

That's it, I feel it's way far from there...
I don't think I'm going to buy a Majesty, I just don't like John's latest incarnation of his sound, even live it goes, as far as my tastes, way better with a less wet sound for rhythm.
I guess I have to spend more time on EQ and getting to understand better how the amps behave...
I was able to get way closer on firmware 18.00 or so in Axe FX 2, then it changed and it wasn't nice/usable to me anymore... but I'm always trying to keep in mind that Mesas amps are to be learned and micro variatios in touching the pots usually mean a big change in sound.

I feel way more consistency with Peavey 5150, EVH III and now the new Skull Crusher (which with a TS09 in front leads me to very fluid leads, nicier than my attempt to set up a Petrucci sound without overdrive)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom