JP's. Too much fun! Here's my take on a preset (and video demo).

Burgs

Power User
I know the greats have already covered these new models found in 5.05 but since I own a JP15-7 BFR I had just had to have a crack at one myself. So here's a free preset* with 8 Scenes based on the guitar's pickups, what I think sounds cool, and my unfortunate ignorance of most things JP and Dream Theatre (I will educate myself soon). The video tells the story. Have fun.

*Edit: It was rightly pointed out to me that the original preset I uploaded had incorrect channel and amp assignments. This is the correct version: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6945

Original Preset link (This one has wrong channel assignments. Please disregard!): http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6942

Thanks to @unscarred for the cab inspiration. They make all the difference.

Last edited:
I have to say I've never seen anybody NOT play Dream Theater stuff with that guitar and amp combination. It's refreshing, so no worries!

These are my favourite songs or riffs from Petrucci:
I was supposed to link only a few, but...

Whoa! Great info. Thanks for taking the time to make all of those links. I'll check them out for sure. Cheers!

I know the greats have already covered these new models found in 5.05 but since I own a JP15-7 BFR I had just had to have a crack at one myself. So here's a free preset with 8 Scenes based on the guitar's pickups, what I think sounds cool, and my unfortunate ignorance of most things JP and Dream Theatre (I will educate myself soon). The video tells the story. Have fun.

Preset link: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6942

Well, now most of the greats have covered them. Don't count yourself out mate, you're at the top of your game! I'm loving the presets and the demos you have been coming out with. Your are putting, not only Fractal, but also these amazing Music Man's your playing, in a fantastic light! I have watched many of your videos for the Axe and thought, I have to try out that guitar. I have that JP-15 in it's 6 string version and just love the neck! Look and feel, it's fantastic! I have owned the JP models from the beginning of the line, and I have never been disappointed! :)

I know the greats have already covered these new models found in 5.05 but since I own a JP15-7 BFR I had just had to have a crack at one myself. So here's a free preset with 8 Scenes based on the guitar's pickups, what I think sounds cool, and my unfortunate ignorance of most things JP and Dream Theatre (I will educate myself soon). The video tells the story. Have fun.

Preset link: http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6942

That sounds MASSIVE!!!! Will check out your preset, thanks for sharing!

Also,thanks for the shoutout! hahahha!

That sounds MASSIVE!!!! Will check out your preset, thanks for sharing!

Also,thanks for the shoutout! hahahha!
No probs. I'll be interested to know your thoughts. Now that you've posted pics of the actual JP settings (thanks!) I'll have to revise it a bit. Cheers!

Well, ... and I have never been disappointed! :)

Thank you! I'm glad to help. It's just a lot of fun. Cheers to you, Sir!

Thank you so much for sharing this and all your other presets - they are great “right out of the box” for my setup.

One question on this preset though. Even though some of the scenes reference the Red channel the amp always stays on Yellow. Was that intentional or do I have an issue here ?

Thx again !

Thank you so much for sharing this and all your other presets - they are great “right out of the box” for my setup.

One question on this preset though. Even though some of the scenes reference the Red channel the amp always stays on Yellow. Was that intentional or do I have an issue here ?

Thx again !
You are exactly right, Greg and I apologise. Something got very lost in translation! So I've rewritten it and you can find the revised version right here. Thanks for taking the time to point it out.

Attachments

• JPIIC+ Burgs V2.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 37
Haven’t checked the revised preset, but in the original the IRs were slightly out of line (one for example took a shift of 14m/s to bring it in).

Doing this changed the sound a chunk - I was just wondering was this done as a form of tone control or choice? I’ve not had too much success in having IRs slightly out of phase, I have the feeling this might be because I was moving them way more than that.

Thanks for all the videos and presets, been a long time subscriber and enjoyed them all

You are exactly right, Greg and I apologise. Something got very lost in translation! So I've rewritten it and you can find the revised version right here. Thanks for taking the time to point it out.

No apologies needed !

Looking forward to trying this out and later and thank you !

Haven’t checked the revised preset, but in the original the IRs were slightly out of line (one for example took a shift of 14m/s to bring it in).

Doing this changed the sound a chunk - I was just wondering was this done as a form of tone control or choice? I’ve not had too much success in having IRs slightly out of phase, I have the feeling this might be because I was moving them way more than that.

Thanks for all the videos and presets, been a long time subscriber and enjoyed them all

Another oversight, I'm afraid. I thought I checked the cab alignment too. I shouldn't write/upload when I'm sick! Haha. Lesson learned. I'll do better next time. Promise!

I’m also guilty of being a Petrucci-gear owner without being a DT fan. I do respect the hell out of JP though.

As for the preset, with my Majesty, it’s honestly one of my favorite high gain tones on my Axe. Great work, @Burgs!

Back
Top Bottom