AFIII Guthrie Govan - Ancestral Solo with tone match preset

MattBowman

FAS Social Media Advocate
Guthrie Govan has been my favorite guitar player for over a decade since I first heard him back in the mid 2000's. I used to buy the DVD's of his shows at Tone Merchants and then everything he ever recorded for what is now Jam Track Central, in hopes of someday being able to play any of his incredible music. Well, over the weekend I decided I was going to attempt to learn/re-learn some of his incredible improvised solos and I recorded his famous solo of the Larry Carlton jam track, and this incredible solo off of the Steven Wilson song "Ancestral".
I found an isolated guitar track of this and made a tone match, and then found a backing track as well and spent several hours yesterday trying to get this one close to the original. Here's my result, the patch will be attached below. As you can see, guitar was my Charvel Pro Mod DK24 into my Axe-Fx III direct to Logic with no post processing. I kid you not, this one tore my finger tips to shreds haha, but it's a fun one to play!

Attachments

• Guthrie Govan ancestral.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
I’d never heard of him til now. Your tone was nice and playing is always top notch! I may have to look him up.
Thanks.
Thank you very much! Oh man, if you've never heard of him, check him out now! Honestly he's the most well rounded guitar player I've ever heard! He can play pretty much any technique, any style, and he improvises literally every solo! Check him out with the Aristocrats or just google him!

Thank you very much! Oh man, if you've never heard of him, check him out now! Honestly he's the most well rounded guitar player I've ever heard! He can play pretty much any technique, any style, and he improvises literally every solo! Check him out with the Aristocrats or just google him!
I totally agree, his technique and his musical taste are extraordinary.
I discovered him just a few years ago thanks to Steven Wilson and immediately fell in love with his playing (which I'll never be able to replicate).
Kudos to you too, that's a hard one.

i know Govan since his guitar techniques magazine lessons,im talking since 1997,i like his work on the Asia cds,i dont really like his solo cd or The Aristocrats cdsi also have some Govan Clinics that i bought from the Tone Merchants website,cool solo bro,thank you for the preset.

I totally agree, his technique and his musical taste are extraordinary.
I discovered him just a few years ago thanks to Steven Wilson and immediately fell in love with his playing (which I'll never be able to replicate).
Kudos to you too, that's a hard one.
Thanks so much, definitely a tough one, my fingertips are taking a day off today :tearsofjoy:

i know Govan since his guitar techniques magazine lessons,im talking since 1997,i like his work on the Asia cds,i dont really like his solo cd or The Aristocrats cdsi also have some Govan Clinics that i bought from the Tone Merchants website,cool solo bro,thank you for the preset.
Oh wow didn't know he'd been doing those Guitar Techniques lessons for that long! Thanks for the kind words!

I’d never heard of him til now. Your tone was nice and playing is always top notch! I may have to look him up.
Thanks.
Your world is about to change! His playing technique, tone, note choice, phrasing, ears, creativity, etc is all top notch.

I got to spend a week with him and The Aristocrats as part of The G4 Experience a few years ago, and his ability is mind boggling... And he is a very humble, down to earth guy, too.

Govan is a god... mortals have no right to critique his abilities in a negative fashion...thank you for the preset and your great playing!
that can be the only explanation for how good he is! Thank you for the kind words!

Awesome! Ancestral is my favorite song off my favorite album of the past decade!

Great job, nhgtrman! Next up, Regret #9? ;)

Yes please.

That's a great one, I kid you not, I tore my fingertips up from doing Ancestral and the GG Larry Carlton jam track on my Instagram, so I didn't play at all yesterday haha. I'll see if I can start learning it this week!

I just realized I commented but never actually watched the video :rolleyes:

Sounded great... Also noted you've got quite the pick-slanting technique going on ;)

If you have been in his presence while playing, you would agree that GG is not of this world. Not many can touch him, especially in his otherworldly improvisation skills.

I just realized I commented but never actually watched the video :rolleyes:

Sounded great... Also noted you've got quite the pick-slanting technique going on ;)
Thank you! Yeah I've got long fingers and really short thumbs, so holding it backwards like this just feels comfortable to me haha.

Back
Top Bottom