Matrix GT1000FX

GreatGreen

Power User
I've been reading up on the Matrix GT1000FX for a while now but for those of you who have one and are familiar with them, I have a question:

What makes this thing different / better than any other stereo solid state poweramp of similar wattage?

I've been reading up on the Matrix GT1000FX for a while now but for those of you who have one and are familiar with them, I have a question:

What makes this thing different / better than any other stereo solid state poweramp of similar wattage?
Size and weight are a big factor... It's small and light!

I hated it. Used to have one with a nl212 with my axe2, and hated it. Switched to a dynacord axm 12 which is awesome!

Last edited:
Size and weight are a big factor... It's small and light!

But aren’t most similarly powered solid state amps just as lightweight?

I hated it. Used to have one with a nl212 with my axe2, and hated it. Switched to a dynacord asm 12 which is awesome!

That sounds like you changed everything after the Axe-Fx in the chain though. Did you actually hate the Matrix poweramp or was it the nl212 you didn’t like?

Did you compare the Matrix poweramp with other poweramps? Did you try it out with different guitar cabs?

But aren’t most similarly powered solid state amps just as lightweight?
I can only comment on my experience which was with an ART SLA-2... Which is 1U but deeper than the Axe Fx II and weighs about 38 pounds! I think the GT800X that I have is about 6 pounds.

The nl 212, it has a very small useable range of volume. It gets flubby at higher levels. Then i decided to go full frfr, which works great for me.

The Matrix design for the GT1000FX incorporates a slowed response, to mimic the sag you'd normally get from a tube amp. This also improves the 'feel'.
A normal PA type amp can react too quickly to your playing, so Andy the designer addressed this issue from the outset.

The Matrix design for the GT1000FX incorporates a slowed response, to mimic the sag you'd normally get from a tube amp. This also improves the 'feel'.
A normal PA type amp can react too quickly to your playing, so Andy the designer addressed this issue from the outset.

I'm not sure I understand this. I hear the concepts of "fast" and "slow" but I don't know what that means on a technical level.

Are you saying the Matrix has "bloom" or emulated sagging of some kind? Is that true? How is that achieved?

Something to do with the slew rate of the mosfets used if I remember correctly. Still flat frequency response, but less ‘direct’ feeling or something?

I suppose in asking 'how is it achieved?' then the answer lies in the circuit design.
I had read somewhere (unsubstantiated) that when Andy Hunt released the GT800FX, he was offered something like $100,000.00 for his designs by Fractal audio, but of course turned that down, because he knew he was on to something.
All I can say is, when I have personally compared the Matrix with a regular PA amplifier, the difference is obvious. It's certainly more about 'feel' than sound, so it's safe to say there is no 'bloom' because you get that anyway from the Axe-Fx. It's more subtle but it works. However it's done, I'm happy enough with it.

I had one for a while, I like what I'm getting from the Duncan Power stage 170 better. the feel is better, but that may also be in part due to the modeling improvements cliff has made along the way as well, tough call, I would like to A/B them with the new Ares firmware installed and see how much if any of a difference there actually is between them. Sorry that probably helps .........not at all LOL!

I've been using the matrix amps since the AxeFXII days. Still my prefered solid state amp. 1u, light as a feather, bulletproof and can get realllllly loud. Louder than actually usable. I did a gig at the LA forum awhile back and was like "ooh I wonder what my amp will sound like cranked up". I got it super loud and there was still plenty of volume left on tap. Any louder and the stage volume would have been unusable. I digress.

I really think it's the most "neutral" thing out there for most people. If you have a prefered tube power amp, you're hearing the influence of the power tubes as well as the voicing from the manufacturer. Even at the same power rating an Engl, or Mesa Boogie power amp sound very different with the same axe fx unit, so clearly it is a manufacturer thing. If you find a tube power amp that suits your tone and style better, go for it, but those are less "neutral" than a matrix in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom