Finally copyied the Boss HM-2 accurately!

question: why not use tone matching?

2 reasons! First is I think Tone Matching has its limits whether you play open chords or Palm Mutes and you have to make a compromise in some way...

Second: to do a proper Tone Match you will need the original. With my method everyone can get the chainsaw without the need to actually own one!

2 reasons! First is I think Tone Matching has its limits whether you play open chords or Palm Mutes and you have to make a compromise in some way...
this is not my experience tone matching drive pedals.
Second: to do a proper Tone Match you will need the original. With my method everyone can get the chainsaw without the need to actually own one!
to make the tone match you need the pedal. to use it you don’t.

for example, attached are tone matches of my boss SD-1w model, in both classic and custom modes. to use them, you need a drive block set to super-OD followed by an IR player block with one of these IRs

Attachments

• SD1W-Classic.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 34
  • SD1W-Custom.syx
    10.1 KB · Views: 31
this is not my experience tone matching drive pedals.

to make the tone match you need the pedal. to use it you don’t.

for example, attached are tone matches of my boss SD-1w model, in both classic and custom modes. to use them, you need a drive block set to super-OD followed by an IR player block with one of these IRs

Good arguments you have there. I think another reason is, that Tone Matching is the easy way and felt (to me) like kinda cheating. I'm not saying, it's a bad thing by any means, but I wanted to take a more natural approach and actually had some real fun with tweaking and comparing.

Again, nothing wrong with Tone Matching, it's just not for me :D

Back
Top Bottom