Ancient Aliens - History channel

1poorplayer

Power User
- pretty crazy stuff in the world , most of which I never knew existed until watching this series.

Structures built all over the world thousands years ago on all corners of the globe. Math and science marvels that can’t be explained today.

Aliens-meme-580x387.jpg

Lol. Exactly. He’s the Johnny Wier of the show. I prefer to draw my own conclusions , but the ancient artifacts and structures the show reveals are pretty interesting, to say the least.
The episode that talks about the origins of binary code is pretty cool too.

It used to be that when there was a drought, or floods, or pestilence, famine, war, whatever, that was God's punishment. When thunder struck Thor was throwing his hammer. Now we know what really causes those things and the list of things that require supernatural explanation has shrunk significantly. Its in human nature to seek meaning to things and in the absence of a natural explanation we (still) apply a supernatural explanation. If only because things that happen for a reason are less scary to us then things that happen for no reason at all, as in sheer randomness. I reckon this is why conspiracy theories are so popular, as a nefarious cabal of Illuminati is less scary to some then just incompetent politicians bungling about without a plan.

As for aliens building things, I find that highly insulting. I remember visiting the pyramids of Gizeh the first time. I was sitting in one of those minicabs, full of people and then I saw the tips of the pyramids appear above the houses, and rise, and rise until they were really big. That was an awe inspiring moment. To me it felt like those astronauts who see the Earth from space and who think 'wow, Earth is really fragile, we should take better care of it'. Only in my case it was 'wow, if bronze age humans can build those with their limited means, imagine, we could do anything with ours'. That is what I took home with me from visiting those beautiful stone mountains. That and beware as a tourist, because you will get ripped off by the locals. Aliens? Not at all.

If anything I find the idea that primitive humans could never have built things like that, so it had to be aliens, or with their help highly insulting. Why shouldn't they have been able to built those magnificent monuments? Primitive sounds like a pejorative like they were stupid or something. It only means their tech was limited, not their creativity. And aren't there plenty of guitarists who are able to create incredible sounds with only the most basic of rigs? As in guitar and amp only? Bronze age humans weren't stupid, stone age people weren't stupid. Its more a case of us having too much stuff and who are thus impossible to conceive how these people could build amazing things without the tools we take for granted.

Yeah, but what about we no longer know how they made it? How could this technology have been forgotten? Because advanced cultures were way more isolated back then? Nowadays everything is connected. Knowledge is everywhere. We can't even conceive anymore that cultures can also collapse. Even though we experienced a culture collapse in our life time, as in the collapse of the USSR. Within a generation Russia was back to be our boogieman again. If it had happened a couple of millennia ago Russia as a culture might have completely disappeared and we would now be marveling on how on Earth this ancient culture could have done the things that it did. Look at the collapse of Rome. We know pretty much about the Romans thanks to the books that they left behind and which got copied by medieval monks and the Arabs. But so much of their literature did not survive, we know, because writers allude to other works in their texts, and from some books we basically only have the basest of summaries. The two oldest countries in the world today are China and Iran, and even they have gone through so many cycles of collapse/conquest, anarchy and rebuild where so much knowledge was lost. Knowledge is a very fragile thing, and today, where knowledge is at our fingertips, we are so incredibly spoiled that its almost impossible to conceive a time where people had to begin from scratch, using only the basics of left over knowledge, more legend then fact. And they were still able to do amazing things. Isn't that way way way more awesome then ALIENS BUILT IT!

F*** aliens! Humans rule!

Isn't that way way way more awesome then ALIENS BUILT IT!

F*** aliens! Humans rule!

Huh ....
You completely missed my point. If you and “Johnny Wier” want to sit down and debate about so-called Aliens and why ancient civilizations were “not intelligent” , by all means , feel free.
MY point in the thread was to let someone here know there’s a series on the History channel that has incredible video footage of ancient archeological structures and artifacts , found all over the world. ( not just in Egypt , for example , as I was previously unaware that there were pyramids built elsewhere )
There are a lot of interesting FACTS on the show.

The notion that Aliens could have been responsible for technology that existed 5000 years ago , because we can’t it explain today , well - that’s entirely up to you. You and the Ancient Astronaut Theorists can theorize - til the cows come home. I could care less about the opinions of interviewed authors on the show , or anyone else , ;)

I watch it because it’s educational.

One thing is certain: that we don't know what happened, or a select few do and don't share the information. Similar structures with similar technology were being built around earth which has no explanation and is evidence they were globally connected somehow.

I have a strong belief in God but even if you don't you should be able to see the complexity and impossibility of random happy accidents making it all happen. Math is science's #1 tool and confirmation of evidence yet it is completely ignored when we try to figure out where we come from.

Huh ....
You completely missed my point. If you and “Johnny Wier” want to sit down and debate about so-called Aliens and why ancient civilizations were “not intelligent” , by all means , feel free.
MY point in the thread was to let someone here know there’s a series on the History channel that has incredible video footage of ancient archeological structures and artifacts , found all over the world. ( not just in Egypt , for example , as I was previously unaware that there were pyramids built elsewhere )
There are a lot of interesting FACTS on the show.

The notion that Aliens could have been responsible for technology that existed 5000 years ago , because we can’t it explain today , well - that’s entirely up to you. You and the Ancient Astronaut Theorists can theorize - til the cows come home. I could care less about the opinions of interviewed authors on the show , or anyone else , ;)

I watch it because it’s educational.

The fact that you have to watch things like that on some Ancient Alien show on the History Channel to see some actual amazing things is a pretty sad state of affairs. Because a channel that calls itself the History Channel should be airing history, not pseudo science. And pseudo science really pisses me off. There was a time that I could turn on the History Channel, or Discovery Channel, or National Geographic, and see actual documentaries. Nature documentaries, history, engineering. And sadly enough that has all been replaced by pseudo science and reality TV shows about guys with dogs, vets and guys with way too many tattoos building bikes and cars. And I have to go to youtube to find actual historic content. Maybe you should too if you want to learn about truly amazing things? Just stay away from channels where people are just ranting. No good comes from places like that.

One of my favorite subjects, and one I am certainly prone to ramble on, so I’ll attempt to be brief:

“Knowing” is the enemy of learning. Human nature is to defend the ego. We label things we don’t understand as “pseudo science” or heresy, etc, and persecute those who dare to think for themselves, because they don’t align with our preconceived notions, or worse, what we’ve been conditioned to believe. Galileo (pseudo science in his time) said it best (IMO), “You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself”.

There is only information/data...it is neither good nor bad...The more you have the better you can draw a conclusion. If you choose to qualify data against your existing knowledge base prior to considering it... then you have to ask yourself if your goal is actually learning, or defending your ego (politics of peer review).

I have strong beliefs on what I know to be true, I formed those beliefs by actively trying to disprove them first.
However, I am a constant court of appeals...I will listen to any new data that I may not have considered prior, and then reevaluate. I want to be proven wrong and will always be open to any data that challenges my existing belief... I only stand to benefit.

Shows such as Ancient aliens, are just that.... data... to be considered, not blindly accepted. Test it, seek to disprove it... that which can’t be disproven needs to still be considered as a possibility. Anything that causes someone to think for themselves I’m all for.

It’s hubris to think that ancient civilizations were “primitive”, we have only scratched the surface of what we know about the past (and even that hasn’t been objective) but the very little we do know shows that those before had a very high intellectual understanding of nature.

- pretty crazy stuff in the world , most of which I never knew existed until watching this series.

Structures built all over the world thousands years ago on all corners of the globe. Math and science marvels that can’t be explained today.

It's fascinating that stones weighing hundreds of tons of all different shapes, were stacked like jigsaw puzzle pieces and fit so well a razor blade can't fit between them. I've been around construction my entire life and haven't a clue as to how this could be done?

The older I get the more I question what we were taught and are led to believe. Things I used to blindly believe without question, I see completely differently.

^ This!

There were things I noticed as a kid that I just couldn’t let go of. I always wanted to know how the watch worked....not what time it was. As I got older and gained more access to more data... things started to come into view. It’s (nearly) all out there, if you can be objective about it.

Back
Top Bottom