Tell me what amps you DON'T prefer!

Anyway, are there any amps in the AxeFx that you just can't jive with?

The Mesa Lonestar.

For whatever reason and totally possible user error, I simply cannot find an IR combo that I enjoy the reference amp with. With that said, I've heard other forum member's clips with that amp sim and it sounds fairly magical. Perhaps I will give it round 2 or 3 with Ares to see what magical sonic bliss cometh from thine Axe-FX.

On the other hand, I find the Two-Rock (Two-Stone) J35 sims are underrated as far as amps used within the forum. I absolutely love that tone along with the Hook 34A/B sims.... just sayin'

The Mesa Lonestar.

For whatever reason and totally possible user error, I simply cannot find an IR combo that I enjoy the reference amp with. With that said, I've heard other forum member's clips with that amp sim and it sounds fairly magical. Perhaps I will give it round 2 or 3 with Ares to see what magical sonic bliss cometh from thine Axe-FX.

On the other hand, I find the Two-Rock (Two-Stone) J35 sims are underrated as far as amps used within the forum. I absolutely love that tone along with the Hook 34A/B sims.... just sayin'
At low gain with a bass cab IR, for bass the Lonestar is quite magical.

I remember shaking my head in disbelief when I came across this discovery quite by a slip of the mouse.

At low gain with a bass cab IR, for bass the Lonestar is quite magical.

I remember shaking my head in disbelief when I came across this discovery quite by a slip of the mouse.
I've made this discovery by accident as well, very stringy and nice in it's own way. Can't gel with the Carol Ann's though, everyone goes on and on about them (cliff included) and they just don't do it for me

At low gain

Now looking back on some of the amp experimentation, I believe I did adjust the gain to a much lower spectrum finding it okay sonically. I did not try the low cut though... Which IR did you find blends well? A 2x12 model? That's what most Lonestars are played through yeah?

I've made this discovery by accident as well, very stringy and nice in it's own way. Can't gel with the Carol Ann's though, everyone goes on and on about them (cliff included) and they just don't do it for me

The only time I made that work for me was for a ZZ top cover for a bright in your face tone. I didn't mind it, but I can see how it may not be in someone's top tier categories:

Now looking back on some of the amp experimentation, I believe I did adjust the gain to a much lower spectrum finding it okay sonically. I did not try the low cut though... Which IR did you find blends well? A 2x12 model? That's what most Lonestars are played through yeah?
Actually, it's nice with an 8X10 or 1X15 ir that uses an Audix D6 mic.

The Audix D6 IR mixes tend to clean up a lot of the crap that a Mesa puts out if you do a low cut between 50-75 Hz and 5-8 KHz on the Hi cut as -12 dB per octave.

I’ve never gotten along with the Suhr Badger amps. I know a lot of people love them around here, but they just sound and feel kinda off to me. Also, I’ve never cared for the Orange amps, both on my AX8 and in real life.

Ok now which amp have you all found that play WELL in tandem, two blended parallel working together. Still, I can't get the these Engl amps to work with anything. They're like the bad kids at recess. I will sometimes blend two different amps together to let one handle the grit and the other will handle other details to provide some added clarity.

What about the OD2? Not in the same camp as the Triptik or Tucana to me...

Splawn has come up multiple times, I agree. In that genre, I like the brit brown, Friedman, and jubilees better. AFD, etc.

I can list several amps that I don't like right out of the box. But I won't. Instead, I'd like to challenge you to take one amp you don't like, and mess with it using different cabs. Once you find the right cab, dialing in the amp is pretty easy. Sometimes a new FW seems to make quite a few amps more harsh than I would personally like.

So, for me, when those types of updates roll through, it's all about calming down what makes an amp more harsh than I would like it to be. Just because it starts out that way doesn't mean it has to end that way. This is what tone sculpting is all about. If it all sounded great right out of the box, what fun would we have?

Do you guys remember that video I did on cab blocks where I tried to choose one of the cabs in our roster that I would NEVER use? By the time I got done showing you how to tweak it, the cab not only became very usable, it became one of my favorite cabs that I still use today. So imagine what you can get with a little work on some of these amps.

The challenge is to learn that amp so well, you make it usable. You also really get to know your AxeFx by doing this. It's amazing what you can change on an amp that you hate, to where it becomes a fire breathing monster. Give it a shot and see if your opinion changes. ;)

All Metal Djentrific amps. They are too rude, ugly, fuzzy and nasty.

And they make all pickups sound quite the same...
:D

Last edited:
No warm feelings for:
  1. Bogfish
  2. Brit Super
  3. CA3+
  4. Citrus RV50
  5. Energyball
  6. Fox ODS (until I heard @2112 playing it)
  7. Friedman Small Box
  8. Hot Kitty
  9. Mr Z Highway 66
  10. Texas Star
  11. Thordendal

No warm feelings for:
  1. Bogfish
  2. Brit Super
  3. CA3+
  4. Citrus RV50
  5. Energyball
  7. Friedman Small Box
  8. Hot Kitty
  9. Mr Z Highway 66
  10. Texas Star
  11. Thordendal
Agree with all of this except the small box and TX star, the small box has always sounded fantastic right out the gate with a good greenback ir and the TX star with its factory cab and the treble cranked is one of my favorite clean sounds

Agree with all of this except the small box and TX star, the small box has always sounded fantastic right out the gate with a good greenback ir and the TX star with its factory cab and the treble cranked is one of my favorite clean sounds

I'll make sure to try this.

I agree but do like the Bad cat
Its kind of unique with the new drives
It even better
The texas star ill have to try the above mentioned to
At default its definitely a bassy, dark amp but a lot of detail comes out the higher you bump the treble and mid knobs. Very full sounding once you get it balanced

No warm feelings for:
  1. Bogfish
  2. Brit Super
  3. CA3+
  4. Citrus RV50
  5. Energyball
  7. Friedman Small Box
  8. Hot Kitty
  9. Mr Z Highway 66
  10. Texas Star
  11. Thordendal
The CA3+ Clean for me worked well with MV set pretty high (I think 7-ish). Counter intuitive (and also not authentic) since it's actually a Preamp. No idea what power amp the model is based on, but for me that was the magic touch. Used to be one of my main amps, but I've moved over to Hook 2a now.

The Mr Z Highway 66 has worked well for me as a pedal platform. On its own, I didn't find it the great, but it always responded well to drives.

Back
Top Bottom